B1G games overflowing to other networks?

supadupafly

Reaction score
Per Iowa City Gazette:

Expansion leads to more football games in same viewing windows

Scott Dochterman

IOWA CITY — The Big Ten’s recent expansion could shift a few non-conference football games to non-traditional channels owned by the league’s primary television partners.

The additions of Maryland and Rutgers give the league as many as 13 games on the first four September Saturdays. Big Ten home games routinely air on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, as well as BTN and ABC but it’s possible a few games could overflow to either ESPNNews or ESPN Classic.

“They’ll be on BTN. They’ll be on an ESPN platform,” said Mark Rudner, the Big Ten’s senior associate commissioner for television administration. “I don’t think we’re quite ready to announce that yet.”

The league usually releases times and television choices for the first three weeks’ worth of football games in early June. This year the announcement could be around July 1, the networks’ notification date.

Last year, the Big Ten had nine Saturday games on its opening weekend and two appeared in primetime. BTN televised Wyoming at Nebraska (7 p.m.), while ESPN2 aired Northwestern at California (9:30 p.m.), a game that fell under the Pac-12’s media deal. The other seven were split between 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. kickoffs. BTN aired two 11 a.m. kickoffs, while ESPNU and ESPN2 showed one. At 2:30 p.m., both ABC and BTN aired a game.

This year’s second week slate features particular challenges. Three non-conference games were selected for primetime kickoffs, although only one (Virginia Tech at Ohio State) falls under the Big Ten’s media deal with ESPN. (The others: Michigan State at Oregon on Fox; Michigan at Notre Dame on NBC). Nine other games are under Big Ten jurisdiction and only two viewing windows are open. Most of those match-ups lack national appeal and none involve high-major opponents. BTN aired three games concurrently at 5 p.m. CT last year but those are considered primetime games, spokesman Elizabeth Conlisk said. BTN has no plans to air more games in primetime.

The Big Ten will not move games away from its current media partners, Rudner said.

“We’re definitely not peeling off any inventory to any third party,” he said. “There’s not going to be any side deals.”

The Big Ten’s current football television package doesn’t expire until after the 2016 season.

ABC has until July 1 to decide if it wants to move one more Big Ten game to primetime. The Big Ten boasts primetime Saturday night games through mid-November except on Nov. 8. That day, Ohio State plays at Michigan State in a potential battle of top-five squads. Rudner declined to say which game could shift to primetime.

Men’s basketball also features its own challenges with 14 squads. There are league scheduling core principles, such as each team gets two days to prepare for a game with no more than two consecutive road games. There’s a weekend/weekday and home/away balance between the league’s first and second halves. Arenas cannot host a men’s and women’s game on the same day and there are plenty of special requests.

The league did end television exclusivity with ESPN when it expanded in 2011-12. That will help this year when BTN and ESPN might air games in the same viewing window.

“Our approach won’t be any different from the approach we used before,” Rudner said. “Midweek there’s a possibility of seven men’s games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and seven women’s games as well. But we have enough windows. Obviously without ESPN exclusivity, we’re able to do a lot more than we have in the past.”

Finding networks for non-conference games also provide challenges.

“We’re confident that we’ll find the space for them,” Rudner said. “I don’t think we’re going to be changing up too much from what we’ve done in the past. We’ve used ESPNU, and we’ve used ESPN3, and obviously BTN has its own streaming platform as well. So I think we’ll be fine.”

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/b1g-games-overflowing-to-other-networks-20140611

Here comes our games on the dreaded ESPN3. That would suck.

I've been thinking about this for awhile. If they can't fit the games on real networks( espn 1 & 2....and the major networks), they better start thinking about providing the feed to local channels. If they don't they are going to have a ton of pissed-off fans......starting with me.

They've already screwed up the BB telecasts.

I think there is going to be some buzz about the women's BB team this year. Would be nice to see more of those games.

Is BTN concerned about the fans or just money?

There are plenty of ESPN networks that could be used. Doesn't the BTN regularly have overflow channels that they don't use?

There are plenty of ESPN networks that could be used. Doesn't the BTN regularly have overflow channels that they don't use?

I don't believe they use any of them for BB. Not sure on FB.

I'm looking forward to learning about the new deals at Casa De Autos

The AD's have to fix this problem. We didn't get to see our games the last couple of years before the B1G expansion. With the BTN refusing to move games to third party networks and stating that "our approach will not be any different from the approach we used before" means we won't be seeing a lot of our non-conference games on TV!!!!! The AD's can't keep allowing this Bullsh*t. They are blind if they don't connect the dots, and they are the ones with the power to get it done. Again, what is the point of a dedicated TV network if it doesn't broadcast your home team games?

Um, there are alternate (ALT) channels for both ESPN and BTN. Been using them for years. I've never missed a Gopher game that was on TV.

HOME teams are responsible for broadcasts. NC away games are an issue for every team, B1G or not. That's why they want to get away from scheduling teams like NMSU and the like on the road.

Breathe.

Um, there are alternate (ALT) channels for both ESPN and BTN. Been using them for years. I've never missed a Gopher game that was on TV.

HOME teams are responsible for broadcasts. NC away games are an issue for every team, B1G or not. That's why they want to get away from scheduling teams like NMSU and the like on the road.

Breathe.

This. Highwayman gets it. And I agree, breathe. Just posted it for informational purposes. Don't overreact to what the article says, as I don't think this will end up being an issue most of the time. i.e. The away NMSU game last year was a particularly unique circumstance considering the game was originally scheduled with them when NMSU was still part of a conference with a TV contract. That unfortunately changed between when the game had been scheduled and when it was actually played. Hence we got the amazing gift of AggieVision and Casa De Autos that keeps on giving to this very day. Ha! ;-)

Btw, one can rightfully blame the MN State Fair (a.k.a. Fat People's Fried Food Nirvana) for that NMSU scenario last year (i.e. the U being forced to open seasons on the road) and the away game against MTSU a couple years ago that was on something like AXS TV.

P.S. The scenario the reporter lays out above and because the home team is responsible for broadcasts, is all the more reason why the U of M needs to make sure that they play ALL of their non-power 5, non-conference games at home during the State Fair time frame (personal preference on Saturdays and not Thursdays) and tell the State Fair and Parking and Transportation Services to go pound sand. The State Fair can figure out their own damn parking solution for one Saturday. Tough. If all of our non-power 5, non-conference games are at home, I can almost guarantee we will ALWAYS be on either main BTN or one of the primary ESPN/ABC channels.

I think you're all missing the obvious huge player here:

The AggieVision Network.

This. Highwayman gets it. And I agree, breathe. Just posted it for informational purposes. Don't overreact to what the article says, as I don't think this will end up being an issue most of the time. i.e. The away NMSU game last year was a particularly unique circumstance considering the game was originally scheduled with them when NMSU was still part of a conference with a TV contract. That unfortunately changed between when the game had been scheduled and when it was actually played. Hence we got the amazing gift of AggieVision and Casa De Autos that keeps on giving to this very day. Ha! ;-)

Btw, one can rightfully blame the MN State Fair (a.k.a. Fat People's Fried Food Nirvana) for that NMSU scenario last year (i.e. the U being forced to open seasons on the road) and the away game against MTSU a couple years ago that was on something like AXS TV.

P.S. The scenario the reporter lays out above and because the home team is responsible for broadcasts, is all the more reason why the U of M needs to make sure that they play ALL of their non-power 5, non-conference games at home during the State Fair time frame (personal preference on Saturdays and not Thursdays) and tell the State Fair and Parking and Transportation Services to go pound sand. The State Fair can figure out their own damn parking solution for one Saturday. Tough. If all of our non-power 5, non-conference games are at home, I can almost guarantee we will ALWAYS be on either main BTN or one of the primary ESPN/ABC channels.

We could schedule some stronger opponents on the road to generate a more exciting matchup that would be televised.

I think you're all missing the obvious huge player here:

The AggieVision Network.

AggieVision Network is always the wild card. Always has been, always will be. When it comes down to it, AggieVision really just can't be stopped. As Dave Chappelle said: Can't stop, Won't stop. Uh-uh, uh-uh.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zf0hjLJZFng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I realize most people won't agree with me on this, but...

I don't get this notion that all Gopher FB and BB games MUST be on TV. Look, I'm so old that when I was in High school, we got 3 TV channels - and one of those was PBS. The 1st Gopher FB game I ever saw was in person - in fact, I can't ever remember seeing the Gophs on TV when I was in HS. (I was only 6 when they played in the Rose Bowl, so don't remember that one.)

My point is that I treat any Gopher game on TV as a gift - not a right. If the game is on TV, I'll watch it (or DVR it). If the game is not on TV, I will bite my tongue and listen to Mike Grimm on the radio. On a nice fall day, I've been know to set up a radio on my back porch and rake leaves while I listen to the game. (and annoy the neighbors with bad language if the team is playing poorly)

But, if a FB game or BB game is not on TV, I'm not going to throw a fit or complain that I'm somehow being deprived of my absolute right to watch the Gophs on TV.

I don't get this notion that all Gopher FB and BB games MUST be on TV. Look, I'm so old that when I was in High school, we got 3 TV channels - and one of those was PBS. The 1st Gopher FB game I ever saw was in person - in fact, I can't ever remember seeing the Gophs on TV when I was in HS. (I was only 6 when they played in the Rose Bowl, so don't remember that one.)

My point is that I treat any Gopher game on TV as a gift - not a right. If the game is on TV, I'll watch it (or DVR it). If the game is not on TV, I will bite my tongue and listen to Mike Grimm on the radio. On a nice fall day, I've been know to set up a radio on my back porch and rake leaves while I listen to the game. (and annoy the neighbors with bad language if the team is playing poorly)

But, if a FB game or BB game is not on TV, I'm not going to throw a fit or complain that I'm somehow being deprived of my absolute right to watch the Gophs on TV.

I think something that is important to remember is that in high school, once you paid for the TV and antenna, the broadcast of those three channels was free. Now, people are paying in excess of $1000/year for their cable or satellite, and sometimes various sports packages. For that money, people expect the providers to cover the games. And, since the U knows that its fans buy those packages, its fans reasonably expect that they be doing everything in their power to secure the agreements that get the games on television and that the schedule compelling enough matchups in out of conference that the networks want to televise us.

Putting the games on TV isn't done as a favor to existing Gopher fans. It's important for recruiting players and fans. Even when you get on TV somewhere it is a huge jump from ESPN Classic or big ten alternate channel only available via certain providers with certain packages and ESPN or ABC.

Well, I am going to complain. The BTN charges handsomely for their service and with that goes the expectation that customers will see the B1G games. We in Minnesota pay the same for our BTN as the OSU or Mich fans and I expect to see my teams games on TV. if they are not going to show them then make some more money by letting regional broadcasters show the game. It is inexcusable for the BTN to sit on the TV rights and not let a game be shown. I know some of it has to do with the home team rights, but then you don't schedule a game with a school that will not let us have a way of broadcasting the game locally. None of this should come as a surprise to a well prepared AD.

Top Bottom