B1G Game 5: Gophers @ Michigan (1-15-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Inside or Outside?:

It’s safe to assume Marlene Stollings appreciates the Wolverines offense. Michigan, 3-1 in the B1G and averaging 75.2 points/game, have inside and outside offense. Against the Badgers, center Hallie Thome scored 37 points; versus the Buckeyes, guard Katelyn Flaherty put up 38. And freshman guard Kysre Gondrezick consistently gets into double figures. Not to forget guard/forward Jillian Dunston who puts together memorable scoring and passing spurts. Every position will be a match-up battle for Minnesota.

Michigan coach Kim Barnes Arico relies heavily on her starters. In Big Ten games the starters minutes played are: Flarherty (37.0 minutes), Thompson (35.8); Dunston (35.0), Gondrezick (33.5), and Thome (30.5). In Michigan’s last game against Indiana every Michigan starter played at least 35 minutes.

Last season:
In the first match-up at Williams Arena, the Wolverines jumped on the Gopher 35-20 in the first quarter on their way to a 93-86 win; Flaherty scored 33, Thompson 18 and Thome 16.

In the return match at Crisler Center; Michigan, behind Thome’s 31 points and Flaherty’s 24, cruised to a 92-76 victory.

B1G Wins: Rutgers, 63-50; @ Wisconsin, 73-56; and Indiana, 78-74.

B1G Loss: @ Ohio State, 96-87.

Common Opponent: Michigan lost to Florida State 76-62 in the Virgin Islands and Minnesota lost at home to FSU 75-61.

More on Hallie Thome:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011017aaa.html

Michigan head coach Kim Barnes Arico approached Hallie Thome in the interview room at the Crisler Center after a big win over Indiana and high-fived her with her right hand while shouting, "Wooo-eee, girl!"

Thome is beginning to approach her potential as a sophomore, and that's exciting for her coach and teammates.

"We try to get her the ball because we know she's a force inside," said Wolverine senior point guard Siera Thompson. "Not a lot of teams have answers for her, and so any time we see her open, we try to get her the ball. She's making an impact for us."

Numbers tell a good part of the story where Thome's improvement as Michigan's go-to post player is concerned.

She scored 37 points two games back at Wisconsin for what is now the third-highest scoring total in program history and had her third double-double of the season Tuesday night (Jan. 10) in a 78-74 win over the Hoosiers. She had only two of those last season as a freshman, when 31 was her top scoring effort.

Thome had 21 points and 11 rebounds and was a real handful for Indiana in the first half, setting the tone in the game

Probable Starters:

Jillian Dunston: 5’-11” G/F Jr (8.0 points/game and 8.5 rebounds/game)
Hallie Thome: 6’-5” C So (20.3 p/g and 9.3 r/g)
Kysre Gondrezik: 5’-7” G Fr. (14.3 p/g and 4.8 r/g)
Siera Thomson: 5’-7” G Sr (6.5 p/g)
Katelyn Flaherty: 5’-7” G Jr (19.0 p/g)

I think we may have just set a record for most offensive rebounds given up in 5 minutes of play.

A. Fernstrom really slow....Plays flat-footed
B. Bell is playing East St.Paul playground basketball...One on one. Doesn't give a rat's ass about her teammates. I wish she would've never transfered here.
JHC!!! get Bell out of there

A. Fernstrom really slow....Plays flat-footed
B. Bell is playing East St.Paul playground basketball...One on one. Doesn't give a rat's ass about her teammates. I wish she would've never transfered here.
JHC!!! get Bell out of there

Turnovers...... Bell is playing out of control but the TO's and poor shooting are not helping us. Hope they can make a run in the second half.

What in the Sam Hill did they see in Fernstrom????. This is my first look at her and other than holding her hands up , she brings nothing .

This game is convincing me that Stollings has got to go, especially if there any good candidates out there. I've always been skeptical of her because I felt the AD didn't put forth a thorough legitimate search. This team looks too untrained and undisciplined at this point of the season. I've officially given up any small glimmer of NCAA tourney hopes.... wait, could we get lucky in the Big Ten Tourney? Nawwww!

Any chance Connie Yori is looking for a job? The guy from SDSU?

This game is convincing me that Stollings has got to go, especially if there any good candidates out there. I've always been skeptical of her because I felt the AD didn't put forth a thorough legitimate search. This team looks too untrained and undisciplined at this point of the season. I've officially given up any small glimmer of NCAA tourney hopes.... wait, could we get lucky in the Big Ten Tourney? Nawwww!

Any chance Connie Yori is looking for a job? The guy from SDSU?

I agree Shades. The coaching is really bad. The first thing I would do is sit Bell down and say " You're moving to the 4 spot. You will rebound and play defense.No shot 15 feet out. You take one , I'll pull your ass. Your shots will come off of rebounds, off the block, and pick and roll"

I don't think she will ever learn the art of how to play point guard.

This is a great example of one team playing real team oriented basketball and the other wondering what hit them. The Gophers don't have a clue offensively or defensively. This is embarrassing.

Out scored them by 10 in the 2nd half but that doesn't when you're down by 25 at the half.

Out scored them by 10 in the 2nd half but that doesn't when you're down by 25 at the half.

They get 38 from Wagner but little else went well today. I would like to see Coyle go after some of the great assistant coaches out there like Niele Ivy from Notre Dame. This run n gun O with no D is not working. They have a lot of work to do to make the tourney.

I would put a 4 unforced turnover limit (still too much) on Bell. If she exceeds that, keep her on the bench the rest of the game. This hasn't been a one-game thing for Bell. It's been a consistent ongoing issue. You have to give her some kind of incentive to take care of the ball since she doesn't seem to have it in her to take care of it herself.

This is a great example of one team playing real team oriented basketball and the other wondering what hit them. The Gophers don't have a clue offensively or defensively. This is embarrassing.

Yep....Wagner doesn't throw 37 down it was a 40 point loss. I hope Coyle watched this game.
I've never seen so many uncontested shots.

They get 38 from Wagner but little else went well today. I would like to see Coyle go after some of the great assistant coaches out there like Niele Ivy from Notre Dame. This run n gun O with no D is not working. They have a lot of work to do to make the tourney.

That stat the announcers cited -- no major-conference team in the country gets scored on more than the Gophers -- was appalling, but not surprising.

What in the Sam Hill did they see in Fernstrom????. This is my first look at her and other than holding her hands up , she brings nothing .

Got 5 blks, so that seems what she mostly brings. The trouble with blocks, they don't really help if you don't have players scrapping for the blocked ball. They are terrible in that regard. I thought Fernstrom would be more of an offensive force, but she's just our big gentle slow-reflex teddy bear out there who can swat a few balls.

It's not like the Gophers were supposed to win this game. They seem to suck on the road, but this was downright embarrassing. Another big Gopher hole dug to start the game. Absolutely no signs of improvement and all the same problems. The only saving grace in this game was Wagner taking over in the second half. Stollings has relied on one player taking over her whole Gopher career. Zahui was a first team All-American in 2015, Banham in 2016, and now she seems to be hoping for Wagner to do it 2017.

In the second quarter Vera Jones kept saying something along the lines of, "they're (Minnesota) not really running an offense". That changed slightly in the second half. It was a first half where there was either no coaching or no listening.

Wagner posted 38 points on 13-20 (7-9 from three) shooting plus she turned down a late layup and laid the ball back to Tinjum for Whitney's easy two.

After Matt Bollant watches this game video, he'll probably personally pay for the Illini charter to Minneapolis.

Starters:

Edwards
Hedstrom
Wagner
Bell
Hubbard

Minutes Played:

40 Wagner
38 Bell
35 Hubbard
29 Hedstrom
23 Fernstrom
15 Tinjum
12 Edwards
4 Lamke
2 Brunson
2 T Bello
0+ Kaposi

Got 5 blks, so that seems what she mostly brings. The trouble with blocks, they don't really help if you don't have players scrapping for the blocked ball. They are terrible in that regard. I thought Fernstrom would be more of an offensive force, but she's just our big gentle slow-reflex teddy bear out there who can swat a few balls.

It's not like the Gophers were supposed to win this game. They seem to suck on the road, but this was downright embarrassing. Another big Gopher hole dug to start the game. Absolutely no signs of improvement and all the same problems. The only saving grace in this game was Wagner taking over in the second half. Stollings has relied on one player taking over her whole Gopher career. Zahui was a first team All-American in 2015, Banham in 2016, and now she seems to be hoping for Wagner to do it 2017.

Shades... you and Iggy know basketball . Would love to sit down with the both of you if I was in Minnie and share thoughts.

Shades... you and Iggy know basketball . Would love to sit down with the both of you if I was in Minnie and share thoughts.

I had never seen Fernstrom play before today, and I agree that she looked plodding and slow. Regardless, she probably has above average talent for someone as big as she, and surrounded by this team it is hard to show it.

This team turned the ball over constantly, played no defense, and could not rebound for much of the game. If a team is horrible at those three things, there is no hope.

I liked Stallings initially because she was able to bring in or back a couple of players that wanted nothing to do with Borton. Bell is a good player, but only if the team is pressing, stealing the ball and pushing up the floor. Bell certainly does not look like anyone that should be a half court point guard.

Hedstrom looks slower than I do and I am over 50. I am not kidding, some of these players do not look athletic enough to be out there in a P5 conference game.

I think Stallings knows what she wants the team to be, she just has not been able to recruit enough players to execute it. The turnovers, horrible defense and lack of rebounding are very troubling regardless of talent, are bothersome and she may well be gone.

Well, that's two hours of our lives that we can never get back. I've thought for a while that Bell was eventually going to cut down on the turnovers, but I'm now thinking that's not going to happen. I would been happy if Stollings would have sat Bell in the first half and let her sit for the rest of the game. She was totally out of control today. Wagner was on fire, easily her most impressive performance for the Gophers. I would have quit on that game if Wagner hadn't been lighting it up. But then again, she had five turnovers to go with the eight from Bell. Poor defense, poor rebounding, no offensive flow...it goes on and on. We're not seeing the progress we should be seeing from this team at this time of year. And did I see that Kaposi played all of 20 or 30 seconds in the first half and then was yanked for the rest of the game after a traveling violation? Not a good way to build confidence in a young player. And if Stollings was so quick with the hook on Kaposi, where was that hook with Bell, who was clearly out of sorts today. I didn't expect the Gophers to win this game, but I'm disappointed that they embarrassed themselves.

Top Bottom