B1G Game 3: Gophers @ Indiana (1-4-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Minnesota travels to Hoosier land for its only meeting with Indiana. Indiana is 1-1 in conference with an opening day win at Penn State, 89-70 and a home loss to Ohio State 92-82. Indiana dominated the Lady Lions. Against the Buckeyes, the Hoosiers trailed 48-29 at the half before outscoring OSU 53-44 in the second half.

Indiana has bit of a Whack a Mole offense except you replace some of the moles with woodchucks, minks and ferrets. It can be a pain to control with a zone. Cahill, who can score from anywhere, had 20 points and 8 rebounds versus PSU and 28 points with 9 rebounds versus OSU. And we all know Tyra Buss’s scoring ability especially from the charity stripe. Controlling Jenn Anderson will be a good test for Fernstrom.

This same group of starters led Indiana to the NCAA tournament last season defeating Georgia 62-58 before losing to Notre Dame 87-70.

Last year:

At Williams arena a Makayla Bailey three with :25 remaining gave the Gophers the victory margin, 78-76. 20 seconds later Bailey raced across the lane grabbing a missed Lamke foul shot clinching the victory.

In Assembly Hall the Hoosiers cruised 93-79. Buss scored 27, Anderson 17 and Gassion 16.

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

Amanda Cahill: 6’2” F Jr (24 p/g and 8.5 rb/G)
Alexis Gassion: 5’11” G Sr (14 and 6)
Tyra Buss: 5’8” G Jr (19.5)
Karlee McBride: 5’10” G Sr (10)
Jenn Anderson: 6’3” C Sr (6.5 and 6)

Others:

Kim Royster: 6’2” F So
Ria Guilley: 5’9” G Fr (played a key role at Penn State)
Tia Elbert: 5’7 G So. (former Marquette teammate of Kenisha Bell)

After the tough stretch of games, I hope Minny makes Indy look like a cupcake.

I'm thinking that the Gophers are still in the middle of a tough stretch of games. Wisconsin should be the first break from this tough start to the conference schedule.

I don't put a lot of faith in Charlie Creme, who appears to be baffled by the B1G and who currently has Minnesota as a "next four out" with Indiana (who basically lost no one from a team that advanced to the second round of the tourney last year and gave Notre Dame a good fight) nowhere to be found, but here's his latest bracketology:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

That game projector now has the Gophers winning 17 games at the end of the reg season, which isn't good enough. Gotta start taking the winnable games, and this one of them. Seems like Indy has been inconsistent and hopefully we'll catch 'em on one of those nights.

That game projector now has the Gophers winning 17 games at the end of the reg season, which isn't good enough.

...but, weirdly, its bracketology has the 17-win Gophers in the tournament as an 8 seed. Apparently, it's going straight-RPI?

Well, we should at least be above Georgetown in the next four out. :)

Bell racking up to's.... what a shocker
Gopher's digging deep early hole.... as usual

17-6 IND end of Q1

Bell with only 3 to's, 8 for the whole team

Kaposi in early. Not looking too bad.

I wish they'd try jumping the passing lanes once in a while. I'm tired of the Minnesota Nice defense.

Got the lead down to 12, but now they're looking terrible again

Gophers down by 15 with 7 minutes left. I quit listening. Something is wrong with this basketball team as far as being focused. The turnovers tonight have been ridiculous.

22 turnovers against a mediocre Indiana defense. Bell with 23 points, 9 rebounds, but 11 turnovers. Fernstrom 11 rebounds, Tinjum 9. No PT for Starr, T. Bello, Barnes. Very little PT for Edwards, who had some early fouls off the bench, but didn't play much in the second half either. Lamke played quite a bit off the bench. I wonder if Edwards had some lingering effects from whatever illness forced her to miss the last game. Anyone know if Starr, Bello or Barnes has been ill? Wagner not able to get many shots tonight. Seems like this team is really missing Hubbard. Wiscy next, as the Gophers now start playing some opponents they should be competitive against.

This about sums it up
bPwkjW2.jpg

Quick look at the year's stats but 2 players have taken about the same number of shots as the rest of the team combined. When both are well under 40% for the year, prone to turnovers, and the team generally looks uninterested in playing defense, I'm beginning to wonder why I was so happy Borton was let go.

Guys....we're playing scared on the road I think the only one on this team that doesn't crawl into a shell is Hubbard. I watched Indiana twice this year and they're beatable with a sustained effort
It's a mindset, and right now this team years footsteps on the road.

Yes, Kenisha Bell had to do everything tonight; but she really didn't need to contribute half of the Gophers 22 turnovers. Before the game, I would've liked Minnesota's chances if I was told the free throws were going to be Indiana (6-16) and Minnesota (17-24); plus, that Cahill would only play 16 minutes because of foul trouble. Unfortunately the only excitement came when the Gophers cut the lead to 11 with plenty of time remaining in the 4th. Of course, the Hoosier's hit a three and immediately got a steal and a layup.

Bell had the only interesting stat line: 23 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals and 11 turnovers. Carlie, where are you?

Hedstrom had the only three (from beyond the arc the Gophers were 1-12).

Of Note: Lamke got a technical for clapping (apparently it was taunting; although it didn't look particularly aggressive).

Starters:

Tinjum
Fernstrom
Hedstrom
Wagner
Bell

Minutes Played:

39 Wagner
38 Hedstrom
36 Bell
32 Fernstrom
30 Tinjum
10 Kaposi
7 Brunson
5 Lamke
5 Edwards (Corbu said Edwards is still recovering)
3 Lamke

I was wondering if Wagner wasn't feeling all that well. She gave good energy on defense, but on offense, she seemed like unusually easy guard duty for her defender. Not much energy put in trying to get open. Acted more like a decoy to draw her defender out more than anything.

I was wondering if Wagner wasn't feeling all that well. She gave good energy on defense, but on offense, she seemed like unusually easy guard duty for her defender. Not much energy put in trying to get open. Acted more like a decoy to draw her defender out more than anything.

I was thinking the same. As to Carlie's three point shot, on the pregame show I think I heard Stollings say they worked with Carlie on getting her feet set (this was in reference to the Maryland game).

Good comments re: Carlie. I also wondered if she was feeling well, as she was somewhat of a statue on offense. I will say this on her behalf...she's done a much better job of defending in recent games.

Good comments re: Carlie. I also wondered if she was feeling well, as she was somewhat of a statue on offense. I will say this on her behalf...she's done a much better job of defending in recent games.

It's looking like a different defense, a 3-2? Or is this what you call a matchup zone? Wagner tends to be front and center of the defense, taking away the top of the key.

Top Bottom