B1G Game 2: Gophers @ Northwestern (12/14/20)

I think the Gophers will eventually be able to cut down on the turnovers, especially if they end up with a 4-guard lineup. Defense, I'm not so sure. This team has been woefully bad on defense and it's going to take a lot of work to even get to average on that. Belz is right in saying that defense is a mentality. Also, it needs to be taught. In regards to the proposed lineups, I'll say this. Scalia really struggled against Northwestern. I'm prepared to give her a pass on that as she is coming off an injury, but if she wants to stay on the floor, she is going to have to up her game on both ends of the floor. And I was particularly disappointed in her shot selection against Northwestern. She settled for threes and made no effort to drive to the basket. She did a much better job of that last year. The BIG schedule hasn't been particularly kind to the Gophers with Indiana next up on the schedule. But it's a tough league and this young team is going to have to learn on the fly. I still think they'll improve significantly before the end of the season, but that being said, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Now that Mershon is eligible and since she was in the Nebraska line up as a defensive stopper, put her in. She has BIG experience which could help, but yes fixing that defense is a must.

Top Bottom