B1G Game 16: Gophers Visit Northwestern (2-18-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
What began as a rebuilding year is cycling into a throwback season. At 1-14, coming off a 48-62 loss in Piscataway, Northwestern is recalling not just Joe Mckeown’s 4-12 first season in 2008-09, not just Beth Combs 1-17 season which brought about McKeown’s hiring; but possibly June Olkowski’s 7-79 Big Ten run which featured, at best, nominally skilled D1 players.

Okay, I’m exaggerating a bit. However, if you are a certain 3-12 Big Ten team looking for your first conference winning streak, finding a trip to Evanston next up on your schedule should inspire confidence. It’s not as if the Wildcats were supposed to be terrible. There were highly recruited players like Anna Morris who have never emerged. There were highly recruited players like Sydney Wood who sort of emerged at the B1G honorable mention level. And there are highly recruited players like Caileigh Walsh who may yet emerge. Anyway, here are the starters:

Caileigh Walsh: the 6’3” sophomore forward is averaging 10.0 points and 7.2 rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game.

Sydney Wood: the 5’11” graduate swing player averages 10.0 points and 2.7 assists in 35.8 minutes.

Paige Mott: the 6’1” junior forward averages 8.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 23.8 minutes.

Kaylah Rainey: the 5’6” senior guard averages 5.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in 24.3 minutes.

Jasmine McWilliams: the 5’11” junior guard averages 3.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 13 minutes.

Jillian Browne: the 5’10” sophomore guard is the only other Wildcat to get a start in conference play. She averages 6.5 points and 3.4 rebounds in 22.7 minutes.

PP: John Shipley writes about the Gophers heading to Northwestern and adds few paragraphs on Angelina Hammond:

It’s been a long trip back home for Hammond, who graduated from Hopkins in 2018 with a scholarship to Siena in Albany, N.Y. But she tore an ACL and sat out her only season there.

Hammond transferred to Southeastern University in Lakeland, Fla., and suffered two more ACL tears, one in each knee, and played only 21 total games. Then it was off to Miami Dade Junior College, where she finally played a full season, averaging 7.8 points and 6.5 rebounds.

Energized, Hammond contacted Minnesota to see if they were interested in her walking on. They were, she did and she has since earned a scholarship — and real playing time. She had season highs of 12 points and five rebounds in a season-high 16 minutes against Nebraska.

It’s a little more impressive when you consider Hammond, listed as a 5-foot-11 guard, was playing center.

“It was just how the team was playing in the heat of the moment,” Hammond said. “We had synergy.”

Asked if she expected Hammond would play that kind of role for the Gophers this season, Whalen said, “If you asked me this summer? I don’t know. I mean, if you asked me this fall, hard to say.”

“But,” the coach added, “if you asked me this month? For sure. I knew a game like this was coming because of the work that she’s put in, and that’s really fun to see.”

A graduate student with one year of eligibility remaining after this season, Hammond plans to pursue basketball for the foreseeable future.

“I want to play as long as I can,” she said. “I’m open to anything. Why not?”

I believe Northwestern won in the first round of the 2021 NCAA tournament. In 2019, Northwestern went to the finals round of the NIT tournament and lost. In 2015, Northwestern went to the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, Northwestern seems to tolerate years of mediocre records -- including this dismal season.

So far, okay. 35-33 Northwestern at the half. Borowicz with 2 threes, 2 assists, 2 free throws and 2 turnovers. Wildcats press with occaisional success

Down 2 at the half in a winnable game. Let's not have a letdown in the 3rd quarter please.

Wildcats jump on the Gophers 43-33 in the first 2:30 of the third. Time out Whalen

Gophers making it tough on themselves again with turnovers, it’s maddening

A long banked in three by Borowicz and a hard driving "and one" by Gradwell keep the Gophers within 12 at the end of three

Caileigh Walsh with 22 points. Gophers with 25 turnovers for the game as Northwestern cruised in the fourth.

Just looked T box score not going to win very many games with 24 turnovers but why hasn’t she played Heyer and Battl
I missed the first half, but right off the bat in the second half, I saw another bad decision turnover, a missed defensive assignment and I noticed that Battle is not getting shots (just 3) so I'm not surprised that she's not in. As for Heyer, first thing I saw from her was an unforced travel (physical mistake that I would allow for) but maybe coach saw a trend that I missed and pulled her. I feel like some of those reckless, "trying to force it" turnovers might be starting to wear on Whalen a little, so she's less likely to put up with them as she was back in Dec/Jan.

One thing I've noticed in the past few games is the Whalen seems to be going with players who are working hard and playing more efficiently on defense. Maybe she's decided to start holding players accountable for not making up for offensive mistakes by at least playing some defense. I'm certainly not close enough to the program to say that for sure, but that might be part of what we're seeing with the substitution patterns.

I missed the first half, but right off the bat in the second half, I saw another bad decision turnover, a missed defensive assignment and I noticed that Battle is not getting shots (just 3) so I'm not surprised that she's not in. As for Heyer, first thing I saw from her was an unforced travel (physical mistake that I would allow for) but maybe coach saw a trend that I missed and pulled her. I feel like some of those reckless, "trying to force it" turnovers might be starting to wear on Whalen a little, so she's less likely to put up with them as she was back in Dec/Jan.

One thing I've noticed in the past few games is the Whalen seems to be going with players who are working hard and playing more efficiently on defense. Maybe she's decided to start holding players accountable for not making up for offensive mistakes by at least playing some defense. I'm certainly not close enough to the program to say that for sure, but that might be part of what we're seeing with the substitution patterns.
Whalen definitly tried the aggressive defense substitution strategy today. It wasn't that effective

Not a whole lot of basketball being played. A lot of activity, but not a lot of basketball. Not much teamwork.

Disgusting loss. They seemed to be revealing in their last victory. Some players didn't show up. Their energy level was low--it was like they were conserving their energy and effort for the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, they got buried first. The scouting report says stop Micheaux and probably no one else will hurt you. Micheaux does all the heavy work on the inside and no one helps her. Without help, she is going to get into foul trouble. Too many turnovers. Lack of concentration.

In limited time Heyer had 7 rebounds so I understand sitting her for a few minutes but needed her for rebounding in my opinion. I agree on holding players accountable.

The player Heyer was guarding was scoring at will. She also dropped 2-3 passes that hit her right in the hands. Unusual game for her, as she's typically solid. Tv
The player Heyer was guarding was scoring at will. She also dropped 2-3 passes that hit her right in the hands. Unusual game for her, as she's typically solid.
That makes sense only saw the box score so was wondering.

Just looked T box score not going to win very many games with 24 turnovers but why hasn’t she played Heyer and Battle much
I would guess that Whalen was trying to keep players fresh because of the demands of the press. I think it is strange that Heyer only played 18 minutes because she is one of their most consistent players. She may have had trouble on defense. Battle played 23 minutes and didn't warrant more time because she was out of sorts (2 points, 4 assists, 4 turnovers, 4 rebounds). Gradwell played 23 minutes and had essentially the same stats (3 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 4 rebounds). Hammond got a lot of minutes (27) replacing Micheaux (20) and keeping her from fouling out. Braun played 29 minutes, which is less than usual but her shooting was down (12 points; 4 of 10 FG including 2 of 7 3-pointers ).

Watched the lowlights and saw many steals for easy layups by NW. Either the Gophers weren’t trying or were very slow to react to what was going on.

Top Bottom