B1G Game 13: Gophers Visit Ohio State (2-8-23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Following the disappointment in Champaign, the Gophers (2-10) traveled direct to Columbus where Minnesota will encounter a Buckeye (9-4) team that is likely more stunned than disappointed. Yesterday, after a two month wait, Jacy Sheldon returned to the court for Ohio State against Maryland. The Terps Diamond Miller (29 points and 10) ruined the moment and the game. Sheldon scored 5 points as the Buckeyes dropped their fourth out of five games 90-54.

After an 8-0 conference start, OSU lost to Iowa, @ Indiana and Purdue before winning at Wisconsin. Any good thoughts from defeating the Badgers were quickly wiped away by the unforgiving Terrapins. Now, with the season drawing to a close, the Buckeyes need a win over Minnesota. Ohio State’s remaining schedule is pretty unforgiving: Indiana, @ Penn State, @ Michigan and Maryland. However, after visiting Williams Arena last January 6th, it’s not as if Kevin McGuff and OSU will take Minnesota lightly.

All I can say is, it must really be fun to play against the Gophers.

The shot clock played better defense than the Gophers. It kept Mikesell from launching a three

Whalen's sub choices is something.. Battle was attacking in the 1st had 8 points.. she misses a tough shot.. and you pull her for Cayton who can't make a basket? like whhat.. Amaya and Mara is OUR OFFENSE tonight..

18 turnovers thus far while Mikesell is 6-6 from three. Katie just tossed a ball out of bounds

Whalen's sub choices is something.. Battle was attacking in the 1st had 8 points.. she misses a tough shot.. and you pull her for Cayton who can't make a basket? like whhat.. Amaya and Mara is OUR OFFENSE tonight..
Katie and Amaya have 8 turnovers between them. Need better guard play.

Just checked the score and one of the first things I saw was STrib article "Gopher women get rematch with struggling Buckeyes". OSU shooting close to 60% from the field and 7/8 from 3PT tonight.:unsure:

I'd maybe put a point guard out on the floor.. you have one sitting on your bench.. with 8 points... but no lets play cayton...

Not getting it either, I think you let the freshman play even if struggling, you’re not going to any post tournament and your senior transfers not adding anything, you play for next year.

Not getting it either, I think you let the freshman play even if struggling, you’re not going to any post tournament and your senior transfers not adding anything, you play for next year.
100% that's why I don't get benching Amaya let her play.. not like Cayton is doing ANYTHING but blowing wild crazy lay ups.. just play the freshman they are your future.. maybe run some plays for Mal for the first time this season... no clue why you play Oberg and Hammond together.. and have Heyer and Battle on the bench.. while Katie can't even pass it 2 feet without throwing it away..

Pathetic. I think our freshmen have hit the freshman wall. They have discovered that there are many people in college who are just as good or better. Now what? You have to figure out how to make your game better. You have to hone your skills or work harder. Can they do it? Will the light bulb come on before the end of the season or will it happen over the summer?
I worry that the players have lost so much confidence that the rest of the season will be worse. They lack some senior leadership and talent, who can calm players down and say we can do it and I will show you how.

Pathetic. I think our freshmen have hit the freshman wall. They have discovered that there are many people in college who are just as good or better. Now what? You have to figure out how to make your game better. You have to hone your skills or work harder. Can they do it? Will the light bulb come on before the end of the season or will it happen over the summer?
I worry that the players have lost so much confidence that the rest of the season will be worse. They lack some senior leadership and talent, who can calm players down and say we can do it and I will show you how.
Mara 19 points
Amaya 8 points
Mal 8 points = 35 of our 63 points

again not sure why Cayton is getting 19 minutes right now.. she was 0-5 tonight again

just play the PLAYERS who will be here next year..

Amaya 26 minutes and Mal only 27.. why? sure they aren't playing great but they provided more then the bench does..

Sometimes I think coaches will sit players in hopes they do not lose confidence or take a physical beating. You see this a lot in blowouts or games that there is no hope of a come back. Some times bench players are put in just to finish out a game and to reward them for practicing hard. Saves on some wear and tear and your hoping by watching the younger players are observant of what the other team is doing to learn lessons.

Mara 19 points
Amaya 8 points
Mal 8 points = 35 of our 63 points

again not sure why Cayton is getting 19 minutes right now.. she was 0-5 tonight again

just play the PLAYERS who will be here next year..

Amaya 26 minutes and Mal only 27.. why? sure they aren't playing great but they provided more then the bench does..
OSU shut Rose down and got her in foul trouble. If Rose is not in the game, who can provide an inside game? No choice but to see who will show up: Oberg, Hammond, or Gradwell? Without Rose's scoring, where does it come from? Braun produced points tonight but you need to find someone else to contribute. With such a big deficit, you have to try Cayton and hope she can hit a few.

Yes, it would have been nice to see Heyer, Miss Consistency, play more minutes but we needed her to help Rose inside and Whalen probably felt she needed a little more rest than usual.

You can't play your best players or your freshmen all the time. They need some rest to stay productive. Furthermore, the players who show up for practice and work hard every day need some playing time. Otherwise, you will have many disenchanted players on the bench and team morale will suffer more.

Sometimes I think coaches will sit players in hopes they do not lose confidence or take a physical beating. You see this a lot in blowouts or games that there is no hope of a come back. Some times bench players are put in just to finish out a game and to reward them for practicing hard. Saves on some wear and tear and your hoping by watching the younger players are observant of what the other team is doing to learn lessons.
I think a lot of fans underestimate how important confidence is for these players and how quickly it can come and go. Believe it or not, it happens to even the best players more than we fans realize. I just recently talked to 3 local players (upperclassmen) on a local college team about how fragile confidence seems to be. They all mentioned that a couple of missed shots, turnovers or fouls can make them a little unsure, tentative and timid. These are top players on a good team and they all mentioned that they fight that from time-to-time. I'm guessing it's worse for young, or new players on a team.

I've also talked with these players coach about that specific dynamic and he says that sometimes you sit a player, not to punish them for mistakes, but to re-set mentally/emotionally and maybe get a short pep talk from an assistant. As we've all seen, a players performance can often hinge on whether that players "In the Moment" momentum is currently positive or negative. It can be a very difficult thing to turn.

I think a lot of fans underestimate how important confidence is for these players and how quickly it can come and go. Believe it or not, it happens to even the best players more than we fans realize. I just recently talked to 3 local players (upperclassmen) on a local college team about how fragile confidence seems to be. They all mentioned that a couple of missed shots, turnovers or fouls can make them a little unsure, tentative and timid. These are top players on a good team and they all mentioned that they fight that from time-to-time. I'm guessing it's worse for young, or new players on a team.

I've also talked with these players coach about that specific dynamic and he says that sometimes you sit a player, not to punish them for mistakes, but to re-set mentally/emotionally and maybe get a short pep talk from an assistant. As we've all seen, a players performance can often hinge on whether that players "In the Moment" momentum is currently positive or negative. It can be a very difficult thing to turn.
As a fan I've certainly lost my confidence and my momentum is slowing ebbing away.

Top Bottom