B1G Game 11: Minnesota Hosts Indiana (2-1-23)

“They’re not by any stretch of the means down there in that locker room right now high-fiving. They don’t think they played well,” Indiana coach Teri Moren said.

“I liked the aggression she played with. I thought she played within herself,” Holmes said. “We know Sara’s a great player, and we’re extremely happy to have her in an Indiana uniform. She means a lot to the whole program, and we have her back in every way, shape or form.”

Gopher quotes:

"There is a lot we can take away as far as how we competed,'' Whalen said. "Coming out of the gates we wanted a better start. But this group competes.''

"We talk about it,'' [turnovers] said Braun. "It's about going back to the fundamentals. Jump-stopping, finding the open person.'

"We've said it a lot this year,'' Whalen said. "We have to do better. There are some stretches in games when we keep the turnovers down. But we end up having to overcome too much.''

"It's not in character for this team to give up,'' Braun said. "No matter the score. That's something our team really holds each other accountable for. If someone isn't giving their all, it's next person up. Keep fighting, even if the out come isn't what we want.''

Seems like we had a player last year who a lot of folks felt had one talent--as a 3-point sniper. There was a lot of complaining about her shortcomings (defense, turnovers) that didn't involve hitting 3 pointers at a 40% clip. She now plays for Indiana. Are we sure we'd settle for a guard that was just a 3-point sniper?
And she struggled when Katie was closely, and I mean closely, guarding her.

I listen a bit on the way home from my kids hockey practice and all I hear is turnover after turnover. That’s not on Whalen, that’s just taking care of the ball really shitty.
Fundamentals. Like turnovers, free throw shooting, blocking out, getting back on defense, making open layups are on the coaches. Coaches can emphasize, teach and practice fundamentals. Good teams have these as part of their culture and it starts with the coach. You can't build to something elite if these aren't there first. And I've yet to see them on any of the teams in the last 5 years.

Fundamentals. Like turnovers, free throw shooting, blocking out, getting back on defense, making open layups are on the coaches. Coaches can emphasize, teach and practice fundamentals. Good teams have these as part of their culture and it starts with the coach. You can't build to something elite if these aren't there first. And I've yet to see them on any of the teams in the last 5 years.
I’ll respectfully disagree. I learned my fundamentals early in my basketball career and carried them every place I played, whether in college or a pickup game on the street corner. Turning the ball over like they do is on the player, coach can bitch, teach all they want but that should have been learned at a young age.

I’ll respectfully disagree. I learned my fundamentals early in my basketball career and carried them every place I played, whether in college or a pickup game on the street corner. Turning the ball over like they do is on the player, coach can bitch, teach all they want but that should have been learned at a young age.
I'll respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. If a kid comes to your program with great natural ability, but poor fundamentals - you can coach fundamentals, by making them practice them. Like really practicing them. Like not leaving the gym until you make 50 layups in row. You can't coach special talent. My take isn't unique. I'm more or less paraphrasing what's been said by Bobby Knight, Coach K, Gene Keady, Auriemma, Freese, etc.,

I'll respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. If a kid comes to your program with great natural ability, but poor fundamentals - you can coach fundamentals, by making them practice them. Like really practicing them. Like not leaving the gym until you make 50 layups in row. You can't coach special talent. My take isn't unique. I'm more or less paraphrasing what's been said by Bobby Knight, Coach K, Gene Keady, Auriemma, Freese, etc.,
Then I would say they have had poor coaching their whole career. Those ideals are some of the first I learned. If you can’t make a layup or a free throw then I would say you really aren’t that talented. Those are easily teachable at young ages. College coaches shouldn’t have to be working on that stuff.

I think bringing in a good veteran Grad transfer who can play would help. Bring some leadership. I am talking a grad transfer who is maybe low/mid major but an all conference player…tell the grad transfer if they are good enough they could start… none of the current players are good enough that they don’t deserve some competition for Playing time… just a thought this product is bad right now
LBK! I thought she brought leadership and maturity to the Gophers. She didn't have the size, quickness, and talent of some of the other players. But, she got the most out of her talent and physicality unlike some of her other teammates. I thought the team was better and more under control when she played. Miss her.

I agree that we need an All Conference caliber transfer. However, those people are going to transfer to a winning team. It is possible to get a Mid-major or DII All Conference player who wants to test her talents against the Big Ten. But, they might not be a strong player in the Big Ten.

So the entire top 10 recruiting class did not listen to their first grade In-House coach that’s why the are not fundamentally sound? They are a lost cause and it’s too late to save them?….

So the entire top 10 recruiting class did not listen to their first grade In-House coach that’s why the are not fundamentally sound? They are a lost cause and it’s too late to save them?….
High school? AAU?

Some fight, at least. But 23 TOS!

I was at the game but missed the introductions due to parking issues(Entry line was 30 minutes long probably due to cold). I didn't really notice any really, or a ton of boo's just one loud guy "Sarcastically or not" Yelling go Sarah" after a made drive basket and foul. The game atmosphere wasn't as big a morgue as the Michigan game, but it was pretty quiet for a Gopher home crowd.

I was at the game but missed the introductions due to parking issues(Entry line was 30 minutes long probably due to cold). I didn't really notice any really, or a ton of boo's just one loud guy "Sarcastically or not" Yelling go Sarah" after a made drive basket and foul. The game atmosphere wasn't as big a morgue as the Michigan game, but it was pretty quiet for a Gopher home crowd.

There was scattered booing when Scalia entered the game. It's like there was one guy per section tasked with booing or sarcasm. Apart from the third quarter, Go Gopher enthusiasm was in short supply-29 turnovers with many of them being errant throws out of bounds will dampen most moods.

I was actually able to enjoy this game. I knew we would lose >95% of the time so I went in with the attitude I was hoping to see us play hard and show some improvement. I also enjoyed cheering for the defense especially for defense on Sara and Sara's fails. She still likes to take the floater when she crosses the lane of the basket and throws up that awkward floater. Just a horrible shot to take. Floaters are great, but you need to be square to the basket. I also enjoyed her jacking up the reverse layup shot that never touched the rim as well as the rest of her misses and turnover.

I didn't hear much cheering for Sara and I didn't hear much booing except for the student/band sections.

The team played hard and I enjoyed seeing them make a run in the second half and seeing the youngster's get experience. Turnovers and poor shot selection/execution remain the biggest team wide issue. They are still a great rebounding team.

And she struggled when Katie was closely, and I mean closely, guarding her.
Despite her faults, which I attribute more to aggressiveness and inexperience in terms of knowing what you can get away with at this level, the one thing that I love about Katie B is her on-ball defense. She gets into people, she does a great job of getting over/around screens and is generally in her opponents' shirt. She is the one player who is probably best at making the other guard really work, just to get to a point where they can start their offense.

Despite her faults, which I attribute more to aggressiveness and inexperience in terms of knowing what you can get away with at this level, the one thing that I love about Katie B is her on-ball defense. She gets into people, she does a great job of getting over/around screens and is generally in her opponents' shirt. She is the one player who is probably best at making the other guard really work, just to get to a point where they can start their offense.
Short guards are a defensive liability to a team. Smart coaches send their taller guards to the blocks on offensive sets and they score at will on the shorter guard defender. On-ball defense does not matter when it's catch, shoot, and score at will in the post. Indiana missed several layups (Berger) and still won easily.

Short guards are a defensive liability to a team. Smart coaches send their taller guards to the blocks on offensive sets and they score at will on the shorter guard defender. On-ball defense does not matter when it's catch, shoot, and score at will in the post. Indiana missed several layups (Berger) and still won easily.
Agree 100% with JD.. I would hesitate to recruit that kind of a player at a power 5 unless they elite in HS, they just dont put fear into the opposing team. there are always exceptions to the rule, you could put Whalen in that 'exception'.

Top Bottom