B1G Friday Night Lights

If you’re involved in high school football >60% chance you’re playing that night

Which is the only reason why I hate it
It's going the other direction as well with more frequent HS regular season games having to be moved to Thursday or Saturday to accommodate referee shortages.

All schools in the Big Southeast were required to play at least 1 non-opener game on either a Thursday or Saturday this past year.

The week after MEA isn't terrible, not perfect, but not terrible. Every high school outside of 6A plays their playoff games on Tuesday and Saturday the week after MEA. Class 6A plays on Friday.

Unfortunately, majority of the players that we want to take in the atmosphere are 6A players...

Only thing I remember from the Indiana game was the rain and Bateman's touchdown.
...and you and I were among the few thousand fans still there to see it.

By the end of that Minnesota/Indiana contest it might have been thousand/singular witnesses. Only time that the Hoosiers have played in the stadium.

I remember it more for Shannon Brooks having a big rushing day, only to get hurt towards the end again.

20,357 tickets scanned.

I am 100% estimating but should give a ball park figure.

Based off of the 2017-2018 HS boys participation report - it says football has 25,031 participants. I am assuming that this is in grades 9-12 and I am going to assume that 25% of the players are seniors that is roughly 6,300. I would also assume that there are more freshman that play vs. seniors, etc.
That's a big number, although every one would not attend. Maybe allow each team to nominate a couple guys to represent them.

Those end up being the games you remember and stories you talk about. I'll never forget that Indiana game or the game Streveler completed one pass (SJSU i think) and the game was delayed because the rain was so bad.

Wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

It's going the other direction as well with more frequent HS regular season games having to be moved to Thursday or Saturday to accommodate referee shortages.

All schools in the Big Southeast were required to play at least 1 non-opener game on either a Thursday or Saturday this past year.
Correct
More will be moved to Thursdays than Saturdays in the metro

maybe I'm misremembering, but I think there used to be a deal back in the Metrodome days where a HS FB team could get discounted tickets for a Saturday Gopher game if they wore their jerseys to the game.

it might have been for the season opener - before the Thursday night opener became a thing. I have a memory of walking into the Dome before a game and seeing a bunch of kids wearing HS FB jerseys. I think they were from Canby - orange and blue color scheme.

maybe I'm misremembering, but I think there used to be a deal back in the Metrodome days where a HS FB team could get discounted tickets for a Saturday Gopher game if they wore their jerseys to the game.

it might have been for the season opener - before the Thursday night opener became a thing. I have a memory of walking into the Dome before a game and seeing a bunch of kids wearing HS FB jerseys. I think they were from Canby - orange and blue color scheme.
They did this at TCF as well for an early season NC game. Not sure if that has continued.

Not a fan of Gopher home games being sent to a Friday night, for all the reasons already described. I did have a very memorable Friday night Gopher game the night the Gophers hosted Indiana.

Not one, but TWO flat tires on our way back home to the west metro. First flat tire struck as it rained and as we reached the Lowrey Tunnel. The second flat tire struck at about 394 and HwY 100.

We finally reached home after 2:30 AM that night as we fought the rain and tow truck availability (we actually got the same tow truck driver via both AAA calls).

I’ve told this one here before but it is all I think of when I think of Friday night Gopher games.

Not a fan of Gopher home games being sent to a Friday night, for all the reasons already described. I did have a very memorable Friday night Gopher game the night the Gophers hosted Indiana.

Not one, but TWO flat tires on our way back home to the west metro. First flat tire struck as it rained and as we reached the Lowrey Tunnel. The second flat tire struck at about 394 and HwY 100.

We finally reached home after 2:30 AM that night as we fought the rain and tow truck availability (we actually got the same tow truck driver via both AAA calls).

I’ve told this one here before but it is all I think of when I think of Friday night Gopher games.
That's pretty amazing so I can see why it's memorable. We had a thing for a while for our yearly roadtrip games where if we drove, there was some sort of car related mishap.

Top Bottom