B1G First Impressions

Reaction score
So how would everybody rank the Big Ten as far as how impressed they've been with each team? Not versus expectations, just as far as how each team has actually looked on the field?

My list:

1. Michigan St.: No brainer
2. Ohio St.: 2 easy wins
3. Northwestern: Same plucky Wildcats as always. A couple nice wins over AQ teams.
4. Purdue: I've been more impressed with Purdue that any of the other one-loss teams; I thought they looked really solid against ND.
5. Minnesota: Outplayed UNLV more than the score suggested, and handled business today.
6. Indiana: The only team I actually haven't watched yet, but I can't rank them too much below our Gophs, I suppose.
7. Michigan: Tough schedule, and Air Force is always a tough game, but I haven't been particularly impressed by the Wolverines at all.
8. Nebraska: Can move the ball on O. The other side of the ball, not so good.
9. Iowa: Iowa State tried to give them the game, still couldn't win.
10. Penn State: Should have won today, and the D looks really tough. Still, they look pretty lousy.
11. Wisconsin: Looked AWFUL today.
12. Illinois: Looking even more awful.

Thoughts?

I don't think it makes sense to separate them entirely from expectations and last season's performance (2 games is too small of a sample) That said, these would be my re-rankings.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan State
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Indiana
9. Nebraska
10. Penn State
11. Iowa
12. Illinois

The difference between 3-12 isn't that great, however. This looks to be a really bad year for the Big Ten. Only Ohio State and Michigan State deserve to be ranked.

I don't think it makes sense to separate them entirely from expectations and last season's performance (2 games is too small of a sample) That said, these would be my re-rankings.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan State
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Indiana
9. Nebraska
10. Penn State
11. Iowa
12. Illinois

The difference between 3-12 isn't that great, however. This looks to be a really bad year for the Big Ten. Only Ohio State and Michigan State deserve to be ranked.

While I agree that this appears to be the worst B1G conference in recent memory. How in the heck can you have Minnesota at 3? Purdue, Northwestern, and Michigan all look better than us.

While I agree that this appears to be the worst B1G conference in recent memory. How in the heck can you have Minnesota at 3? Purdue, Northwestern, and Michigan all look better than us.
1) Purdue lost
2) Northwestern pulled off two squeakers against Vanderbilt and Syracuse. Honestly, I'll take a blowout over New Hampshire as being much more impressive.
3) Ditto with Michigan's tight win over Air Force.

Now, do I think we'll finish 3rd in the conference? Hell no. But for right now I don't really see a great reason for us not to be there.

I would disagree. Purdue played Notre Dame extremely tight. Could have won. Northwestern is playing real competition and winning. Michigan lost to Alabama. I think you are giving New Hampshire far too much credit. They aren't even a top 10 FCS school. Not to mention you are completely forgetting our triple over time affair with the lowly Rebels. I would place us solidly in the 5-7 spot in the B1G after today.

Right now the big 10 looks to be a weak conference. It could be a very ugly bowl season for the big 10.

Agreed. But I figured we'll see enough power rankings that combine expectations and recent history. Just thought it would be cool to see what everybody thought about how each team has actually looked on the field these two weeks.

Northwestern is playing real competition and winning..
Eh....Syracuse and Vanderbilt are middle of the road FBS programs at best. Both make a better media story than an actual football team.

We'll see where New Hampshire ends up from here. But, yes, I have a lot of respect for their program.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan State
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Indiana
9. Nebraska
10. Penn State
11. Iowa
12. Illinois

1/1a- MSU/ NE
3-Mich
4-Purdue
5/6-NW/Minnesota
7-Iowa
8-Illinois
9-Indiana
10/11- PSU/OSU-not eligible

Has not been a good start to the season for the conference as a whole. Here is how I would rank them to date.

1. Michigan State - look to easily be the strongest team in the conference and when you take OSU out of the post season discussion a near lock for the Rose Bowl if they stay healthy.
2. Ohio State - Slow starts but there is a lot of firepower here.
3. Purdue - They were right there with a pretty strong Notre Dame team on the "road".
4. Nebraska - Despite the loss to UCLA last night this is still a very solid squad
5. Michigan - Walked into a buzz saw with Alabama and Air Force is one of those teams it is tough to run away from. Still lots of talent here
6. Northwestern - 2 wins against decent competition
7. Minnesota - Right there with Northwestern though I gave the cats the nod due to tougher competition
8. Wisconsin - Some definite issues on this squad but still a team to watch out for if they get it together
9. Illinois - These last few teams have all looked awful so take your pick
10. Iowa - Offense has been terrible, defense ok
11. Indiana - Not really sure what to make of them yet. Might be better then Iowa and Illinois
12. Penn State - Snake bitten last night by their kicker. Going to be a rough few years in Happy Valley.

If I were to separate the conference into tiers I would have it like this

Tier 1 - MSU, OSU
Big Gap
Tier 2 - PUR, NEB, MICH
Small Gap
Tier 3 - NW, MN, WIS
Big Gap
Tier 4 - ILL, IA, IN, PSU

1.Michigan State
2.Ohio State
3.Michigan
4.Nebraska
5.Northwestern
6.Minnesota
7.Purdue
8.Wisconsin
9.Illinois
10.Penn State
11.Iowa
12. Indiana

5-9 the teams are all even.

Minnesota and Indiana have virtually identical resumes so far, so I don't understand why some of you have such a large gap between us and them.

Indiana just lost their starting QB for a significant amount of time, if not the whole season.

Um, we're not very good as of 9/9/12.

But the Big Ten is not what it used to be either.

I think the axe, jug, and floyd all will look real nice in our trophy case this year. especially the jug. Michigan is gonna get beat up before they have to come on the road here... I know I am a homer but hell, I like our chances. I think we can run with anyone in the conference, that's for damn sure!

Top Bottom