B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren named CEO of Chicago Bears

pros: conference expansion; new media rights deal

cons: handling of the 2020 Covid season; communications with Administrators and AD's

not a home run - but not a disaster.

look - if you want to be cynical - you can surmise that the B1G hired a black man as commissioner at least in part for appearances. But the guy did have a lot of experience in the sports world - just not in college sports.

I suspect that both sides have some regrets. But it's over now. time to move forward.

Has there been a list of potential replacements published anywhere?

Has there been a list of potential replacements published anywhere?
This article has a list, and it looks like there’s no paywall.

https://theathletic.com/4084943/2023/01/12/kevin-warren-big-ten-commissioner/

Personally, I would be a little underwhelmed by the hire of a sitting AD or even other conference commissioner. There are a lot of changes that will happen over the next few years as NIL, collective bargaining, and NCAA rules evolve. I don’t want the commissioner to be someone who has spent the last few decades mired in the old ways of college football with that being all they have experience with.

I like the idea of an outside hire, potentially one with a legal background and/or who worked as an business executive. College sports continually becomes more of a business, so I would like someone experienced in the business of sports. However, I would not be surprised if the hire is someone who was a prior university president/chancellor or similar.

This article has a list, and it looks like there’s no paywall.

https://theathletic.com/4084943/2023/01/12/kevin-warren-big-ten-commissioner/

Personally, I would be a little underwhelmed by the hire of a sitting AD or even other conference commissioner. There are a lot of changes that will happen over the next few years as NIL, collective bargaining, and NCAA rules evolve. I don’t want the commissioner to be someone who has spent the last few decades mired in the old ways of college football with that being all they have experience with.

I like the idea of an outside hire, potentially one with a legal background and/or who worked as an business executive. College sports continually becomes more of a business, so I would like someone experienced in the business of sports. However, I would not be surprised if the hire is someone who was a prior university president/chancellor or similar.

This hire is going to be a big one for the future of the (now growing) B1G Conference. It'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out, and also just how wide a net they cast in their search for candidates.

EDIT: The Athletic article certainly tosses out a wide variety of potential candidates, some are fairly intriguing, some are really way out there, definitely "thinking outside the box" type ideas. The Stanford AD is one that sticks out to me but at this point it could be just about anybody.

Early but VERY strong contender for preposterous statement of the year.

If you had a clue, you'd know how awful Warren was.
Also, the Commie Man called and wants his 2003 bit back

This hire is going to be a big one for the future of the (now growing) B1G Conference. It'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out, and also just how wide a net they cast in their search for candidates.

EDIT: The Athletic article certainly tosses out a wide variety of potential candidates, some are fairly intriguing, some are really way out there, definitely "thinking outside the box" type ideas. The Stanford AD is one that sticks out to me but at this point it could be just about anybody.
No doubt. For inquiring minds, Warren made $3.4 million last year. It looks like the going rate for a P5 commish is in the roughly $3-7 million salary range.

By the time they cancelled the season it was pretty obvious it was not the 5-6% kill rate that was originally announced. This is why the SEC played (with fans if I recall)… it was an unnecessary decision, and he certainly was not solely responsible for making it… but he certainly had his finger prints all over it. Again, I cut the guy some slack… he just started the job and ran into a tough situation. Doesn’t take away the fact he ultimately made the wrong choice.
Late to the party, but agree. The BigTen had some minds that influenced Covid responses nationally and perhaps internationally. Presidents, Regents, State legislators most likely had input. I'd bet the farm (if I had one) that initially liability was high on the list. Especially when there were reports of severe cardio vascular and pulmonary issues related to Covid-19. Many Ivy league, BigTen, Pac-12 schools initially leaned toward extreme caution.

2020 Pac-12 Conference football season

Ivy League cancels season

Big East cancels season

ACC Cut back

Top Bottom