B1G bowl revenue pool breakdown. Feels good seeing our MN definitely doing it's part

supadupafly

Reaction score
In all, the Big Ten's bowl-revenue pool before expenses such as travel and ticket costs are factored in is expected to total $78.6 million. Here is the breakdown:

• $50 million base payout as a conference with Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowl contract;
• $6 million for national semifinalist (Ohio State in Sugar Bowl)
• $4.1 million for Citrus Bowl (Minnesota);
• $4 million for non-playoff bowl (Michigan State in Cotton Bowl);
• $3.2 million for Outback Bowl (Wisconsin);
• $2.8 million for Holiday Bowl (Nebraska);
• $2.5 million for TaxSlayer Bowl (Iowa);
• $2 million for Pinstripe Bowl (Penn State);
• $2 million for Foster Farms Bowl (Maryland);
• $1.2 million for Quick Lane Bowl (Rutgers);
• $867,000 for Heart of Dallas Bowl (Illinois);

Under the previous Bowl Championship Series system, the Big Ten's bowl-revenue pool totaled approximately $47.6 million:

• $27.897 share to each of the six automatic-qualifying conferences;
• $6.3 million for Ohio State being selected at large (Orange Bowl);
• $4.25 million for Capital One Bowl;
• $3.5 million for Outback Bowl;
• $3.325 million for Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl;
• $2.725 million for Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl;
• $1.7 million for Texas Bowl

They've really taken the incentives away from winning the big games. Bad timing considering OSU's success, but that was hard to predict.

In all, the Big Ten's bowl-revenue pool before expenses such as travel and ticket costs are factored in is expected to total $78.6 million. Here is the breakdown:

• $50 million base payout as a conference with Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowl contract;
• $6 million for national semifinalist (Ohio State in Sugar Bowl)
• $4.1 million for Citrus Bowl (Minnesota);
• $4 million for non-playoff bowl (Michigan State in Cotton Bowl);
• $3.2 million for Outback Bowl (Wisconsin);
• $2.8 million for Holiday Bowl (Nebraska);
• $2.5 million for TaxSlayer Bowl (Iowa);
• $2 million for Pinstripe Bowl (Penn State);
• $2 million for Foster Farms Bowl (Maryland);
• $1.2 million for Quick Lane Bowl (Rutgers);
• $867,000 for Heart of Dallas Bowl (Illinois);

Under the previous Bowl Championship Series system, the Big Ten's bowl-revenue pool totaled approximately $47.6 million:

• $27.897 share to each of the six automatic-qualifying conferences;
• $6.3 million for Ohio State being selected at large (Orange Bowl);
• $4.25 million for Capital One Bowl;
• $3.5 million for Outback Bowl;
• $3.325 million for Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl;
• $2.725 million for Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl;
• $1.7 million for Texas Bowl

So basically, with Mississippi State getting the slot in the Orange bowl over MSU, the conference lost $23.5 million to the SEC because the Orange Bowl wasn't in the playoffs this year, their payout is $27.5 million instead of the $4 million MSU got from the Cotton Bowl.

Between this and BTN money we should be able to break ground on some facilities or add a women's badminton team...

So basically, with Mississippi State getting the slot in the Orange bowl over MSU, the conference lost $23.5 million to the SEC because the Orange Bowl wasn't in the playoffs this year, their payout is $27.5 million instead of the $4 million MSU got from the Cotton Bowl.

Correct. It will be a similar situation in years when the Rose and Sugar are not national semi finals - teams making those bowls will make a lot more money, as they are bowls that carry separate contracts with conferences when they are not national semifinals. The Peach, Cotton and Fiesta have no such agreements and will always pay out that lower amount.

So, from the college football playoff and selection committee bowls only, the B1G pulled in $60m (base payout of $50m, +$6m for OSU, +$4m for MSU). The ACC pulled in $83.5m, the SEC pulled in $87.5m (simply because of that Orange Bowl payout). All told, the SEC revenue pool for this year from bowls is ~$110m.

I thought I saw somewhere that the B1G received an additional 22 million for OSU making the title game? Is that not true?

I thought I saw somewhere that the B1G received an additional 22 million for OSU making the title game? Is that not true?

That is not true. From the CFP site:

(3) A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for the semifinal games. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement (in 2014-2015, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls).

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

Hmmm... I read it on here somewhere. I don't know what I'll do if I can no long trust the posters on here to provide me with accurate info..

This should quiet the rumor that there were backroom deals used to get us in the citrus bowl (since the big ten gives up the citrus bowl spot if they have a team in the orange bowl).

Where do you see that MS St. received such a larger chunk of $$ despite Mich St. also being in a NY6 bowl? Appears to me that each conference with a contract (as the B1G does with the Rose Bowl) receives the $50 mill, and each game is $6 mill or less.

Where do you see that MS St. received such a larger chunk of $$ despite Mich St. also being in a NY6 bowl? Appears to me that each conference with a contract (as the B1G does with the Rose Bowl) receives the $50 mill, and each game is $6 mill or less.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/sec_to_receive_projected_875_m.html

Each Power 5 conference gets a base payment of $50 million from the CFP, with playoff teams Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State bringing in an extra $6 million and teams in the three so-called "access bowls" -- the Peach, Cotton and Fiesta -- bringing in an extra $4 million apiece.

As a "contract bowl" -- or one that carries a separate contract with conferences when it isn't a playoff semifinal, the Orange Bowl is treated separately, with a payout of $27.5 million. The Sugar and Rose Bowl will operate similarly when they are not utilized as semifinals, as the Sugar is contracted with the SEC and Big 12, the Rose with the Big Ten and Pac-12 and the Orange with the ACC.

The Orange Bowl's other slot goes to the highest ranked team from the SEC, Big Ten or Notre Dame that isn't in the playoff -- which, this year, is Mississippi State.

"The two conferences that have agreements with them would be paid directly by contract by ESPN and the bowl," SEC Executive Associate Commissioner Mark Womack said of the contract bowls. "That's why it's more. That payment is not really part of the CFP payment."

Top Bottom