AZ vs. WI

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Anybody watch this whole game? I watched the first half and Wisconsin looked good jumping out to a 13-0 lead to start. Hughes and Leuer will carry their team as expected. Based on the second half highlights it looks like Nankovil (sp?) has improved as well. Not that anyone should be surprised, but Wisconsin will NOT be bad this year. I think their weakness is their bench. I didn't see any non-starters that scared me.

Yea I watched the whole thing. I agree that the big guy looked improved. Hughes did not have the best shot selection towards the end of the game, but you can't argue with results. I did get sick however of the broadcasters keep saying "Minnesota Player of the year..(insert player name)" over and over again.

I was actually thinking the opposite. For some reason I stayed up and watched the whole game. Overall I was very unimpressed by Wisconsin. Trevon Hughes is a very nice player, but made some questionable shooting descisions. 19 shots! Outside of him and Leuer, there's not a lot of players that will really be a challenge to defend. Bohanon is always a threat though. Nankivil missed some easy dunks and the other bigs don't seem to be special players either. Jordan Taylor had a pretty poor game as well. It seemed like most of the baskets were made by a Hughes drive and offensive rebound put back.

The officiating in this game was ridiculous. 54 fouls! AZ had taken the lead towards the end of the game and there were some tough calls that allowed Wisconsin to overtake them. I think Bo Ryan has proven he will put out a competitive squad, if only for defense, but this year from what I saw I believe they will struggle. Arizona is a nice win, let's see how the Gonzaga game plays out.

Hey, remember when we beat Wisconsin twice last year? Good times.

I was very impressed by the Badgers last night. Leuer fouled out with 9 or 10 minutes left and I think Trevon took it upon himself to get the win. (Leuer is going to be one of their leading scorers) I did get somewhat sick of the announcers raving about Brusewitz, the frosh from Sibley. He looked alright and expect him to be a contributor by the end of the year. This is going to be a big win for the Badgers come selection time as I would think that Zona could be fighting for the 2nd or 3rd spot in the Pac 10 with the athletes they have.
Tonights game against the Zags will be interesting. If the Badgers can keep the Zags off of the offensive boards, I think the Badgers will have a good shot at being in the championship.

The refs made it a very difficult game to watch. Had no flow at all. I would not draw many broad conclusions about either team from the game. Leuer not being able to play much certainly hurt the Badgers. They played with the lineup they wanted to for about ten miutes and really took it to Arizona, after that it was a foul fest on both sides. It was impressive they pulled the game out.

The bench is going to be fine. Team can go 10 deep if need be. Arizona plays tough, agressive man to man defense and Miller is going to do a great job there. The Big Ten is going to be very tough, but the Badgers will be right there in the fight.

Don't sleep on Bruiser, he is going to be a heck of a player. Plus, he has the added benefit of actually being able to play. Those were his first extended minutes of the year against a quality opponent and he did a nice job.

Will be a battle at the Barn this year. Looking forward to it. Beat Butler.

Badgers

Only saw the 1st half, but it looks like the same old Badgers to me. They'll be fine & as always in the mix in the Big 10. I'd say they'll probably be better than last year. Like Leuer's bounce for a big guy.

Wish we were playing the Badgers twice. If the Big 10 is not going to go to a full round robin, I wish they'd at least do what football does, protect the rivalries and play each of 'em twice (Iowa and Wisconsin) every year. ... and I'd say the exact same thing if Iowa was strong instead of its current status.

The officiating in this game was ridiculous. 54 fouls! AZ had taken the lead towards the end of the game and there were some tough calls that allowed Wisconsin to overtake them.

So you're saying it was like every other Wisconsin game then?

Badgers review

I can't believe I stayed up that late....but I did. I got tired of Sean McDonough whining about it being a choppy game. He is way down on my list of PBP guys.....but Rafftery and Bilas are good IMO.

I like Wisconsin's team actually.....Hughes tries to do too much at times, and his play will decide a lot of games down the stretch I presume, but he's talented and tough. Agree on Bruiser, I think he'll be really good. Leuer also and big Jared is going to be fine.

MSU and Purdue are rightfully at the top but Bo and the boys will be not be an easy out......as usual.

I've never bought into the "Bo Ryan is whiner" stuff until last night's game. I like him as a coach just fine but someone should have gotten him a pacifier and a bib because he was acting like a baby throughout that whole game.

I've never bought into the "Bo Ryan is whiner" stuff until last night's game. I like him as a coach just fine but someone should have gotten him a pacifier and a bib because he was acting like a baby throughout that whole game.

He's like that every game.

Were you watching Miller?

Watched the game as well. Wisconsin looked like, well, Wisconsin. They play good defense, although it was harder to tell since Arizona often settled for one pass and then play one-on-one until a ref called a foul. Having said that, I liked what the Badgers brought in terms of muscle in the paint. They seem deeper in the post than they were last year.

One concern I have with the Badgers is their offense. Outside of Hughes and Leuer, I don't see much offensive skill. Nankivil is really good attacking the glass and at times can shoot outside, so he could be an x-factor. Overall, this is a typical Bo Ryan team. Not overly athletic, but well coached and an absolute headache to play against.

Every coach in America whines at the refs. Watch your guy some time, or Izzo.

Ha ha, not every coach in America is known for it like Ryan, though. He's one of the biggest whiners, hands down. WI will get a favorable call 9 times in a row and then have one go against them on the 10th, and Ryan will act like it's the biggest injustice ever. The faces he makes are priceless too. Someone last year did a collage of Ryan and the Grinch faces ...one of the best sig's I've seen.

We pay good money to the refs and expect them to honor the deal. They doubled the amount per game in Maui and Barry didn't bring enough with him. He's gone all in for the Zags game, but we all fear the refs will have it in for the Badgers in the Championship game, since they payoff won't be on. Kinda like both games against the Gophers last year when the bag man lost the payoffs just before tip. :cool02:

Bo+Ryan+Grinch+2.BMP

Ha ha, not every coach in America is known for it like Ryan, though. He's one of the biggest whiners, hands down. WI will get a favorable call 9 times in a row and then have one go against them on the 10th, and Ryan will act like it's the biggest injustice ever. The faces he makes are priceless too. Someone last year did a collage of Ryan and the Grinch faces ...one of the best sig's I've seen.

apparently you don't watch much college basketball if you think other coaches don't "whine" like Bo. Roy williams, Bill Self, Coach K, Jim Calhoun etc etc etc. They all do it. The most successful coach of all time arguably did it (Bob Knight). You are seriously picking at straws. Wouldn't you want the coach of your team getting a favorable call "9 times in a row" by "whining" to the refs? You call it whining, I call it fighting for your team when you think you've been wronged.

Yeah. I think he's an excellent coach and a good recruiter, but sometimes, instead of teeing him up, I wish the refs would just make him go stand in a corner.

Way too tough to judge this one...

I watched bits and pieces of the game. Two things made this one just way too hard to judge;

1) Yes, 54 fouls is just way too many for a college hoops game

2) Of Arizona's top 8 players, 1 SR, 1 JR, 2 SOPH, and 4 Freshmen.

Yikes. A little early and a little to young to tell just how good AZ will be. No doubt, by February or March, Miller could have them playing really well and all of the sudden it looks like a good win on the schedule.

The BT will be a meat grinder this year, no doubt about it....

Yeah. I think he's an excellent coach and a good recruiter, but sometimes, instead of teeing him up, I wish the refs would just make him go stand in a corner.

well when your team gets to be more successful than Bo's, then I think you have every right to pick at straws. Keep an on Tubby this year. I'm sure he'll have more than his share of "whining" moments which you will more than likely call it fighting for your team.

well when your team gets to be more successful than Bo's, then I think you have every right to pick at straws. Keep an on Tubby this year. I'm sure he'll have more than his share of "whining" moments which you will more than likely call it fighting for your team.

Tubby hardly ever says anything to the refs. Have you ever watched him at a game? Him and Bo are night and day when it comes to complaining. Both are good coaches, but have completely different ways of handling the refs.

Tubby hardly ever says anything to the refs. Have you ever watched him at a game? Him and Bo are night and day when it comes to complaining. Both are good coaches, but have completely different ways of handling the refs.

No need to yell, when you can make thier heart skip a bit with The Stare.

Top Bottom