Austin Schirck Commits

mkAz

Reaction score
I think he deserves his own thread too! Welcome aboard Austin! He's listed as DL, but I'm guessing they recruited him for DT (although adding some size at DE would probably not be a bad idea). If he's good enough for Bryce Paup, he's good enough for me. I'm guessing a certain Panther/Hawkeye fan is in meltdown mode today.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/2849854/58222e70f5605e26200a3eef' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I guess that answers the question if they were bringing him to campus as a PWO or scholarship candidate.

Obviously, he isn't playing the best HS competition but you see some versatility with him. You see the physical tools. Right now, he's 6'5"/6'6" probably about 250 (I'm guessing the weight is a little exaggerated right now on the recruiting sites). He'll RS next year and I'm gonna guess he'll end up in the 270-285 range. When you're playing multiple fronts (like I've heard we will be doing with Smith), someone like this is valuable. He'll probably never be a flashy player but depending on where he ends up weight wise, he could be a huge, set the edge type of a guy in a 43 or if he gets bigger than I'm imagining, he could move inside to be a DT. But then someone in that 270-290 range is also very valuable in the 34 as well. He's a 5 technique there. Like I said, never will be a 10 sack guy but will be a physical guy that fills up gaps well.

The other physical attribute you notice is how long his arms are. I'm guessing they are way longer than the typical wingspan for a guy of his height.

Hmm, Bryce Paup was an underrecruited player from small town Iowa, Austin Schirck is an underecruited player from small town Iowa. Bryce Paup played at UNI, Austin Schirck was set to play at UNI. Bryce Paup was drafted in the sixth round and went on to be the best defensive player in the NFL in 1995. Austin schirck will be drafted in the sixth round and go on to be NFL defensive player of the year...

The kid looks like he has a good frame, good pop, and decent speed for a big guy. Have to trust the eye of Paup and Robb Smith/ Fleck. I just hope his eye for talent is better than other former great players, e.g...Matt Millen.

Seriously, welcome Austin! Look forward to watching him blow up.

As an aside, some of these players this year look to be 6-8 inches taller than their dads. Eat those wheaties.

I hope he doesn't Schirck his duty on the football field! I'll be here all week. Remember to tip the staff.

I like the "RTB" signs on the name tags in the pic with his parents.

Top Bottom