Auburn could be about to burn (Rumor)

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Allegedly, Jordan Diamond (4* OL from Chicago recruited to Auburn last year) has admitted to close friends and family that he was given $50,000 to sign with the Tigers. Though simply a rumor as of now, it sounds like the Chicago Tribune has been investigating and will be releasing their findings next week.

IF it's true (and I'll stress that all the facts still have to come out), how hard will the NCAA come down on the Tigers?

Allegedly, Jordan Diamond (4* OL from Chicago recruited to Auburn last year) has admitted to close friends and family that he was given $50,000 to sign with the Tigers. Though simply a rumor as of now, it sounds like the Chicago Tribune has been investigating and will be releasing their findings next week.

IF it's true (and I'll stress that all the facts still have to come out), how hard will the NCAA come down on the Tigers?

Can Newton's reply to this rumor: "That's it? $50K? Diamond's Dad isn't as good of a negotiator as my Dad is."

Go Gophers!!

Can Newton's reply to this rumor: "That's it? $50K? Diamond's Dad isn't as good of a negotiator as my Dad is."

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, and given Auburn's performance this year they probably need to up the ante a bit.

I wonder if this is true, if Auburn could find a way out of paying Chizik his buyout. Chizik is owed quite a bit of money.

I wonder if this is true, if Auburn could find a way out of paying Chizik his buyout. Chizik is owed quite a bit of money.
Most of these contracts have clauses about dismissal for cause if there are NCAA problems, although in the SEC one wonders.

I remember watching the BCS Championship game with Auburn / Oregon. I vividly remember telling my wife that we were watching a game that eventually won't count.

About as hard as they came down on Miami.

Whatever happened about that??

About as hard as they came down on Miami.

Whatever happened about that??

Decision will come from NCAA in 2013 (sometime - perhaps even after signing day). According to the little I've been able to read on the situation, the slowness stems from most players being mentioned by Shapiro are in the NFL. Doesn't sound like the NCAA has any subpoena power over ex-players. Multiple players last year were suspended from 1 to 6 games for receiving improper benefits. A self-imposed bowl ban was done to "lighten" any potential sanctions down the road. Will be interesting to see what eventually comes of both situations (Auburn and Miami).

They hammered Ohio state really hard. If allegations are true auburn should get hit just as hard or harder. Miami should get hit harder.

I was following his recruitment a little bit becasue the Badgers were in the mix. My recollection is that it seemed Auburn appeared out of nowhere within the last ten days or so.

I was following his recruitment a little bit becasue the Badgers were in the mix. My recollection is that it seemed Auburn appeared out of nowhere within the last ten days or so.

They did. Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame were supposedly his three finalists but then he dropped them all in the final week and went with Auburn.

Would be surprised if it turns out not to be true. This kind of stuff is going on all the time in college athletics. Anybody that thinks this is not commonplace among the top programs is kidding themselves. Teams have just done a better job keeping it quiet and the NCAA knows not to go looking too hard unless they are forced to.

Would be surprised if it turns out not to be true. This kind of stuff is going on all the time in college athletics. Anybody that thinks this is not commonplace among the top programs is kidding themselves. Teams have just done a better job keeping it quiet and the NCAA knows not to go looking too hard unless they are forced to.

Agreed. I wonder if Chizik will be praising the Lord when the axe falls on him.

I bet the NCAA is so mad they will hammer some small school, cuz the small school could not pay the NCAA off.

I bet the NCAA is so mad they will hammer some small school, cuz the small school could not pay the NCAA off.

Look out Cleveland St! They don't even have football but will still probably get in trouble for what Auburn did.

Nothing but internet speculation at this point. I'd love to see an SEC program burn to the ground, but it's not fair to speculate on a kid like this with literally no evidence at the moment.

Incidentally, I think Cal Stoll had done a good job of recruiting TP, but he would not pay the price, same wtih a defensive end from KY, that Ky paid for.
No one needs to worry about being fair to Auburn, they have had institutionalized cheating for 20 years, including the chairman of the Board of Trustees at one point. Look up the old Auburngate articles from 2-3 years ago.
If you have ever been to Auburn, it makes every town in the BigTen excluding West Lafayette look like a metropolitan area. It is a nice town with nice people, but why a kid from Chicago would go there over the other schools mentioned is not understandable based on normal facts.

A really good friend of mine was a graduate assistant at an SEC school and according to him, it's almost impossible to stop the alumni/booster associations doing these kinds of things (especially if things aren't going well).

I'm not sying that Chizik is clean, in fact, I really doubt it. However, coaching a fledging SEC program just sounds like a chaotic job.

Impossible to stop? Maybe. But how many are being reported when there is knowledge? That's what got USC into trouble and could be what happened here as well.

Top Bottom