Athlon Magazine: The Big Ten's Best Traditions (Paul Bunyan’s Axe, "Hail! Minnesota")

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Athlon Magazine: The Big Ten's Best Traditions (Paul Bunyan’s Axe, "Hail! Minnesota")

Athlon has a list of the Big Ten's best football traditions, we're included in two:

Here are some of Athlon Sports' favorites:

College Football’s Oldest Rivalry
No two teams in college football have played more times than Wisconsin and Minnesota. The rivalry began in 1890, the two have met 122 times and the winner claims the history and massive — six feet long — Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

Best of the Rest:

"Hail! Minnesota"
After each home game, the players and coaches join the students and band to sing the school's alma mater and state hymn, "Hail! Minnesota."

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...er&utm_content=buffer22fad&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

The writer has an interesting definition of "historic".

Pretty sure most teams sing their respective alma mater after the game @ home? Maybe we started it. I dunno.

It doesn't take long for things to be the way they always were. Singing "Hail, Minnesota" is pretty new, but it seems to have caught on. I'm think the Rotating M and the Swinging Gates with the U's own rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic are as good as any traditions out there.

I am, of course, only slightly biased.

It doesn't take long for things to be the way they always were. Singing "Hail, Minnesota" is pretty new, but it seems to have caught on. I'm think the Rotating M and the Swinging Gates with the U's own rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic are as good as any traditions out there.

I am, of course, only slightly biased.

I remember the band playing "Hail, Minnesota" after the games at Memorial. Faulty memory?

You are correct: the band sang Hail, Minnesota in harmony after football games...

I remember the band playing "Hail, Minnesota" after the games at Memorial. Faulty memory?

AND...after a victory, they wore their Band Uniform Hats backwards...Now THAT is tradition!

Top Bottom