Athletes Unlimited 2023

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
It appears Tori Dixon will be playing for Athletes Unlimited 2023. Here is that link for anybody interested in following this upcoming season for her and other big names from Women's World and USA NCAA College Volleyball.

auprosports.com

Bethania De La Cruz Leads All-Star 2023 AU Volleyball Roster

Athletes Unlimited Volleyball will be kicking off their 2023 season October 6. The only former Gopher of the 44 Athletes registered to play with them, will be Tori Dixon....MEET THE PROS.

Last edited:

Really don't like the format of this league. It only appeals to volleyball super fanboys/girls, who care more about individual players than teams.

That's not how professional sports work.

(Casual) People care about teams.

When there's a pro vball league that is based on teams/clubs representing cities, then I will pay attention.

Really don't like the format of this league. It only appeals to volleyball super fanboys/girls, who care more about individual players than teams.

That's not how professional sports work.

(Casual) People care about teams.

When there's a pro vball league that is based on teams/clubs representing cities, then I will pay attention.
Until there's real money involved like with the PWHL, this is the best option.

Sure it is.

And I won't watch it.

Professional club volleyball is very successful in Europe, both men's and women's. Give me that in the US, and I'll watch.

PVF is starting up this spring in the US. I'm hoping it will be a legit volleyball league for us fans. Teams in Omaha, Atlanta, Grand Rapids, San Diego, Orlando, Columbus and maybe one or two more. I'd keep my eye on this one, it could be good.

Minnesota has developed some outstanding Middles and some of my all time favorites are Lauren Gibbemeyer, Tori DIxon and Regan Pittman. I understand the thought process about this league, but I personally still plan on watching TD play. To this day despite her injuries she is one of the best at reading an opposing setter and in my book one of the BEST ALL TIME BLOCKERS EVER.

I have read that supposedly Team Captains are choosing their teams tomorrow. What time....I don't know right now. However, I will certainly post the information here as soon as I find out.

Below is an article from the Rochester Post Bulletin highlighting the one and only year that the "United States Professional Volleyball League" existed. The year was 2002 and Rochester had one of the four teams in the league. There were at least three former Gophers on the team (Bachman, Branagh, Berg). I went to a few of the matches - they were great. We were sad to see the league fold after just one year. Assistant coach Kevin Hambly is now the head coach at Stanford.

It's never been played like this before​

Minnesota Chill's league championship was celebrated in Rochester.​

3518015.jpg

The 2002 Minnesota Chill included, standing, left to right, assistant coaches Susan Deaton and Kevin Hambly, Kate Fitzgerald, Lydia Gard,Wiz Bachman, Denise Boylan, Nicole Branagh, Brandy Barratt, Lindsay Henning, Tyra Harper and head coach Tore Aleksandersen. Kneeling are Captain Colleen Neels, Lindsey Berg, Addie Mahnken and Mary Coleman. Contributed
By Lee Hilgendorf
November 30, 2021 at 7:00 AM

Mayor Chuck Canfield proclaimed May 5, 2002, as Minnesota Chill Day in Rochester. The Minnesota Chill, a volleyball team made up of female athletes with an average age of 23, had won the championship of the United States Professional Volleyball League’s inaugural season.
Three months earlier, on Feb. 5, a near-capacity crowd of 2,011 fans at Mayo Civic Auditorium cheered on the Minnesota Chill as the team won the first-ever USPV match over the St. Louis Quest, 3 games to 1. The Chill would lead the league in attendance throughout the season.
At that victory rally in May, Chill team captain Colleen Neels said, “we have the best place to play, right here. This trophy is as much yours as ours.”
Head coach Tore Aleksandersen said, “in the future we’ll look back and see what a special group this was.”
Around Minnesota, the Chill’s winning season went largely unnoticed.

The United States Professional Volleyball League only lasted one season. There were four teams in the league: The Chill, Chicago Thunder, Grand Rapids Force and St. Louis Quest.

3518013.jpg

The Minnesota Chill won the United States Professional Volleyball league's championship trophy in 2002, the league's only season. Contributed

Below is an article from the Rochester Post Bulletin highlighting the one and only year that the "United States Professional Volleyball League" existed. The year was 2002 and Rochester had one of the four teams in the league. There were at least three former Gophers on the team (Bachman, Branagh, Berg). I went to a few of the matches - they were great. We were sad to see the league fold after just one year. Assistant coach Kevin Hambly is now the head coach at Stanford.

It's never been played like this before​

Minnesota Chill's league championship was celebrated in Rochester.​

3518015.jpg

The 2002 Minnesota Chill included, standing, left to right, assistant coaches Susan Deaton and Kevin Hambly, Kate Fitzgerald, Lydia Gard,Wiz Bachman, Denise Boylan, Nicole Branagh, Brandy Barratt, Lindsay Henning, Tyra Harper and head coach Tore Aleksandersen. Kneeling are Captain Colleen Neels, Lindsey Berg, Addie Mahnken and Mary Coleman. Contributed
By Lee Hilgendorf
November 30, 2021 at 7:00 AM

Mayor Chuck Canfield proclaimed May 5, 2002, as Minnesota Chill Day in Rochester. The Minnesota Chill, a volleyball team made up of female athletes with an average age of 23, had won the championship of the United States Professional Volleyball League’s inaugural season.
Three months earlier, on Feb. 5, a near-capacity crowd of 2,011 fans at Mayo Civic Auditorium cheered on the Minnesota Chill as the team won the first-ever USPV match over the St. Louis Quest, 3 games to 1. The Chill would lead the league in attendance throughout the season.
At that victory rally in May, Chill team captain Colleen Neels said, “we have the best place to play, right here. This trophy is as much yours as ours.”
Head coach Tore Aleksandersen said, “in the future we’ll look back and see what a special group this was.”
Around Minnesota, the Chill’s winning season went largely unnoticed.

The United States Professional Volleyball League only lasted one season. There were four teams in the league: The Chill, Chicago Thunder, Grand Rapids Force and St. Louis Quest.

3518013.jpg

The Minnesota Chill won the United States Professional Volleyball league's championship trophy in 2002, the league's only season. Contributed
Wiz is a native Minnesotan but played at UCLA.

Great article on The Chill. One of my takes was how they lead in attendance throughout the season. It is really nice to see that the interest in women's volleyball continues to grow to this day in our state and throughout the USA.

Teams for Week 1 are as Follows:

Team DLC
Betty
Alisha Glass
Willow Johnson
Anotea Adekunle
Nomaris Velez
Lindsay Vander Weide
Karis Watson

Team Valentin
Natalia
Brooke Nuneviller
Saskia Hippe
Shelling Fanning
Katie Lukes
Tori Dixon
Maria Schlegel

Team Nootsara
Tomkom
Yossiana Pressley
Molly McCage
Claire Chausee
Ali Bastianelli
Kendall White
Nia Reed

Team Edmond
Leah
Alli Linnehan
Danielle Hart
Morgan Hentz
Sydney Hilley
Jenna Rosenthal
Genesis Collazo
Taylor Bruns

Season starts 10-6 and games will be televised on ESPN+. Again. you will need a separate subscription to ESPN+ or get it through the Hulu Bundle. YOU CANNOT GET ESPN+ THROUGH YOUR TV PROVIDER. However, ESPN+ material can be viewed through the ESPN App.

First set and Tori on Team VA is playing her game. Nice couple of digs in the back court too. Happy to see her out there playing well. Team Valentin-Anderson up 15-14 over Team Nootsara.

Week 2 teams and other news.

Tori is somewhere around the middle of the list of the players and their total points earned so far.

Week three teams have been picked...

Tori and Team Edmond looked pretty good Week 3 until they met up with Team Hentz. However, she was able to add a decent amount of points this past week to her total and has moved up to #18 in the individual standings.

Week 4 teams have been announced.

Tori remains #17 in the points standings. She only has MB's McCage and Rosenthal ahead of her. This past week she was on Team Hentz who won 5 sets and loss 4. Team Hentz had not suffered any set losses going into this week. Lydia Grote's sister, Marin, was also on Team Hentz with Tori.

The last week rosters are in. TD will be back on Team Linnehan along with MB's McCage and Hart.

Another season ends and AU Volleyball has been renewed. Some stats from another Forum.

Final Season Stats

Kills/Set
1. Chaussee 5.05
2. Edmond 4.98
3. DLC 4.82
4. Willow 3.98
5. Brooke 3.89
6. Linnehan 3.64

Efficiency
1. McCage .410
2. Fanning .360
3. Caffey/Rosenthal .340
5. Dixon .330
6. DLC .320
7. Edmond/Brown/Willis .300
8. Brooke .290

Aces/Set
1. DLC .47
2. Valentin .30
3. Hilley .24
4. Fanning .23
5. Bastianelli .20

Good Pass %
1. Benson 63% (232)
2. Hentz 63% (168)
3. Aury 57% (211)
4. White 57% (244)
5. Nomaris 56% (218)
6. Brooke 55% (286)
(others)
Chaussee 53% (370), Edmond 47% (368)

Digs/Set
1. Hentz 4.71
2. Nomaris 4.07
3. White 3.91
4. Valentin 3.54
5. Brooke 3.39
6. Edmond 3.38
7. Benson 3.20

Blocks/Set
1. Hart .89
2. Caffey .87
3. Brown .77
4. Dixon .61
5. Bastianelli/Edmond .58

Caught this summary on USA Volleyball website for this past season for Athletes Unlimited. TD still receiving some type of recognition, which is nice to see.

ATHLETES UNLIMITED

Libero Morgan Hentz was named Defensive Player of the Year at the end of Athletes Unlimited’s five-week season.

Hentz led the league with 212 digs. On Oct. 6, Hentz broke the single-game digs record picking up 25 in the match. Hentz was a captain for four out of the five weeks this season and was undefeated in her first nine matches.

Outside hitter Brooke Nuneviller finished third overall with 3,582 total leaderboard points. She logged the third-most kills this season with 179, along with 156 digs. She made only 36 hitting errors on 476 attempts.

Former National Team middle blocker Tori Dixon was named to the 2023 All-Position Team.

Setter Sydney Hilley finished eighth. Libero Kendall White placed 15th. Middle blocker Danielle Hart finished 26th.

Outside hitter Leah Edmond won the overall player championship

Top Bottom