At Beaver Stadium, snow is opponent; PSU to fans: wear 'waterproof clothing'

Reaction score
From article: Urgent work began Friday morning and was to continue all night to get Beaver Stadium ready for Penn State’s homecoming game against Minnesota today.

But the four inches or so of snow still covering the stadium’s bench seats late Friday afternoon probably will not be removed in time for the 3:30 p.m. kick-off, Penn State officials said.

“The time frame was just so close to the game that the stadium is certainly not going to be clear and dry. My impression ... was that very little of it (the stands for more than 100,000 people) would be cleared,” said Paul Ruskin, Office of Physical Plant spokesman.

“The university,” he added, “is asking the fans to be prepared to put up with snow in the seating and they should bring warm and waterproof clothing and a kind weather attitude.”

Ruskin said the stadium ramps and other walkways would be cleared. Two dozen or more salamander heaters — tubular high-heat machines — were blasting warmth at the underside of the stands Friday afternoon.

Officials considered washing down the stands with the stadium’s fire protection hoses to try to clear the seats, said one work crew member. However, they had not done so by late Friday afternoon.

The university tried without success to use inmates from the Centre County Correctional Institution to clear the stadium. But the 10 to 15 inmates who might have done such work were already booked Friday and, in any event, there wouldn’t have been enough lead time to process insurance paperwork and the like, county officials said.

University janitors who normally work elsewhere on campus were pressed into duty for much of the day to clear snow from the stadium’s tarped playing field. A phalanx of janitors 10 or so abreast trudged back and forth across the field, using push brooms to move the snow to the sidelines. Payloaders and dump trucks took it from there.

Ruskin said 200 janitors were scheduled to work a mandatory double shift Friday, returning for a second 8-hour shift after completing the first. To light the night shifts, a dozen or more Ingersoll-Rand construction light towers were trucked to the stadium Friday afternoon.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/breaking_news/story/1571743.html

Great post BNG, that is fantastic news. And on top of that Penn State is banning tailgating this weekend! What a great way to dull their home field advantage, give them some real Minnesota weather.

I also personally believe a snowy field benefits the Gophers more. It will allow both teams to run the ball a little more easily.

But, it should also neutralize the speed of the Nittany Lion D-line. Weber is often inconsistent, but historically he has thrived when he has ample time to throw the ball. If the Penn State D-line is significantly slowed, Weber should have some time to throw.

wow, banning tailgating in State College seems unfathomable...that has got to be a big disappointment for homecoming.

LOL at banning tailgating for HOMECOMING. All this means is kids will be walking around on the streets finishing their cases of beer.

As for football in the snow....I love it!!!!!!!

Good news. Poor weather always equals the playing field a bit....this is one game where that works to our advantage.

I wonder how bad the arguing would be at TCF Bank stadium if they didnt have time to remove the snow. The "sitters" would show up in their water proof clothing and want to sit and the "standers" would show up in jeans and want to stand so their butts don't get wet.

I wonder how bad the arguing would be at TCF Bank stadium if they didnt have time to remove the snow. The "sitters" would show up in their water proof clothing and want to sit and the "standers" would show up in jeans and want to stand so their butts don't get wet.

SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom