Asst Coaches/Coordinators

Triple D

Reaction score
I know when the new coach comes in, he will want to make his own hires, but who from the current staff deserves consideration to stay?

I would give some thought to Horton because the offense was servicable this year and may have been better with a better QB, and keep Watson who did a good job with Gray and the other WR's and was a respectable NFL receiver. I'd say maybe to Lewis and Lee, but they would have to sell me if I was the new coach coming in. I'd get rid of everyone else.

Part 2:

I'm kind of bored with the head coach speculation until there starts to be some rumors and leaks, so tell me .... once a new coach comes in who would we like to lure away or promote to be on our coaching staff, they can be hopefuls or reaches, give me your candidates and why we want them here. I wouldn't mind asking Billick if he is bored and would think about being an OC, won't happen but I'd ask.

I think the chances for the current assistants is contingent on who gets the head job. If the new head coach already has a posse, the chance that any of the current assistants would be retained would be close to nil.

I had read that Cross and Butler were considered to be the two strongest recruiters on the current staff, but I don't know if the team's defensive performance says much good about their coaching ability.

Watson seems to be doing some good things with McKnight and Allen appears to be developing nicely as well. Lewis has done well with Lair.

I would consider keeping Hammock for his recruiting ability. Would have liked to have seen more out of some of the RB's, but we have certainly had line problems.

Hammock is a good recruiter but I really don't like the way our running back's play. I would definitely like to go in another direction at the RB coach position.

I think the only ones that have a chance are Cross, Butler and Tim Davis. I doubt any of them will be kept on. I wouldn't be surprised and i'd be happy to see G. Shaw get brought on board.

I would be very surprised to see anyone associated with the last 30 years of gopher football on staff.

I would be very surprised to see anyone associated with the last 30 years of gopher football on staff.
That's pretty much the long and short of it. You might keep a couple guys on hand to help with the transition process but that's about it.

Wipe the slate clean, fumigate the facilities and start fresh.

Hammock is a good recruiter but I really don't like the way our running back's play. I would definitely like to go in another direction at the RB coach position.

I think the only ones that have a chance are Cross, Butler and Tim Davis. I doubt any of them will be kept on. I wouldn't be surprised and i'd be happy to see G. Shaw get brought on board.

Are you kidding about Shaw? Why would that not surprise you?

Cross, really?

Our defensive line play is atrocious, what makes anyone think Tim Cross can coach his way out of a paper bag? Cosgrove is garbage, and Lee's work in the secondary speaks for itself. Hammock is such a great recruiter that we've missed out on every big-name runningback we've gone after.

Brewster hired recruiters instead of position coaches, that ultimately lead to his demise.

Keep Watson, Tim Davis, Butler and maybe Horton (his audition starts now).

Some of the position coaches may be kept, but any of the coordinators has as much chance at being on the Gophers coaching staff next year as I do.

Our defensive line play is atrocious, what makes anyone think Tim Cross can coach his way out of a paper bag?

I probably won't be on the next staff either, in fact I am withdrawing my name from consideration because I have no clue how to coach my way out of a paper bag either.

I probably won't be on the next staff either, in fact I am withdrawing my name from consideration because I have no clue how to coach my way out of a paper bag either.

If your on offensive lineman you need a good "punch" technique. Not sure about from a d-lineman perspective, but I would guess a strong "bull rush" might be the answer. I'd stay away from any sort of complex "spin move" technique but I'm just a rude so I have no real clue what to do once the paper bag makes an adjustment.

I would say only some of the offensive coaches could possibly be retained. Horton, Davis, Watson, and even Derek Lewis have all appeared to have done a good job this year by improving their respective positions. Davis in particular seems to be well respected- Alabama, USC, the Dolphins, etc. No one on the D-side could possibly stay.

Top Bottom