Asmussen: So far at Illinois, Bielema has Fleck's number

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Bob:

Here is the CWFS take on Illinois' schedule, counting the games down on the excite-o-meter. As always, feel free to disagree:

10. Vs. Minnesota, Nov. 2

Just a hunch that Gophers coach P.J. Fleck will mention John Paddock to his team before the game.

In the 2023 game at Minneapolis, Paddock led a stunning comeback win for Illinois.

In a weird twist, Illinois beat Minnesota but missed playing in a bowl game. The Gophers went to the Quick Lane Bowl despite a losing record and beat Bowling Green.

Minnesota was hit hard by the transfer portal, losing 18 players. Fleck did add 13.

Hard to imagine who will make the big plays on both sides of the ball.

Coach Bret Bielema is 3-0 against the Gophers while coaching at Illinois. Again, a fact that Fleck will likely remind his team about many times before the game.

Minnesota's proud football history includes 1941 Heisman winner Bruce Smith, legend Bronko Nagurski and superstar coach Tony Dungy.

Go Gophers!!

Bielema has always been a torn on the Gophers' backs even when he was with the Badgers. I remember thinking good riddance when he left for the Razorbacks.

Should we worry about a Gopher losing streak against the Fighting Illini?

Bielema has always been a torn on the Gophers' backs even when he was with the Badgers. I remember thinking good riddance when he left for the Razorbacks.

Should we worry about a Gopher losing streak against the Fighting Illini?
they already have a losing streak. 3 in a row. absolutely needs to change as that's not indicative of the talent between the teams.

Hard to imagine who will make the big plays on both sides of the ball.

this is the one I don't get. Illinois may not be loaded but they do return their starting QB in Altmeyer and their top RB. they did lose their top WR to the NFL.

MN returns their top RB and WR, and adds one of the best QB's in FCS.

on paper, MN would seem to have more firepower on offense.

Top Bottom