As Florida shatters its record for new coronavirus cases, Democrats ask, 'Where is Ron DeSantis?'

KGF

Reaction score
I’m glad the statewide mask mandate is over here. However, if I walk into a store or facility, all the employees are wearing masks, and they’ve asked patrons to wear the mask, I have no issue doing it.
I do it as a courtesy to others…but I don’t think masks are a particularly effective mitigating tactic. Moderate at best for a variety of reasons, like how they are worn, what type they are, and taking them off to talk to people like Biden seems to do all the time.

Last edited:

Gold Vision

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above.

But several months ago, 30 days of data is all the D’s and media wanted to talk about in Florida. 30 days of Cases is all they want to talk about in Florida now. Except Broke, who wants to use selective data and dated articles to mislead people about deaths and what’s going on in Florida right now.

howie fell for it. What a surprise.

I agree, using seasonal statistics from different regions at different times is very misleading and I wish jackwads like Broke would stop doing it.
Both sides have done it and a shocking amount of people have no idea how to analyze or interpret what they’re being shown in those pictures.
I’m pragmatic to a fault, so I’m always trying to understand the context of that data. I hate bad math more than bad politics. 😂

Spoofin

Reaction score
Just checked NYT and 0 cases reported in Florida yesterday. DeSantis hiding data again!!!

• Haha
Reactions: KGF

Go4Broke

Reaction score
More police in Florida have died from COVID-19 than gunfire or other work-related injuries

In Florida, 53 officers have died from COVID-19. Only Texas has lost more officers to COVID-19 than Florida, with 151 of its 160 line-of-duty deaths due to the coronavirus. After that, Georgia has lost 44 officers due to the pandemic, and California and North Carolina have lost 25 officers each to COVID-19.

“It is the number one killer of police, hands down,” Chuck Wexler, PhD, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, told the newspaper. “More cops will die of COVID than will be shot, stabbed, or die in traffic accidents,” he said. “And it’s an equal opportunity killer.”

Nationwide, COVID-19 was the leading cause of death for law enforcement officers during the past 2 years, according to statistics compiled by the Officer Down Memorial Page. More than 570 officers have died from the coronavirus, which is 66% of those who have died in the line of duty. About 180 officers died from traffic accidents or other medical issues such as heart attacks, and 100 were killed by gunfire.

Florida has accounted for more than 10% of all COVID-19 law enforcement deaths across the country. The coronavirus has killed corrections officers, Customs and Border Patrol agents, Florida Highway Patrol troopers, and U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives officers, the newspaper reported.

KGF

Reaction score
Both sides have done it and a shocking amount of people have no idea how to analyze or interpret what they’re being shown in those pictures.
I’m pragmatic to a fault, so I’m always trying to understand the context of that data. I hate bad math more than bad politics. 😂
GV, exhibit A is Broke’s post above, #64.

It’s not bad math. It’s malevolence and dishonesty.

When Florida had it’s Delta surge in August, the states policies were no different than blue states. Remember when Biden declared victory over the virus enough to say we don’t have to wear masks and we can return to business as usual?

But as you say, Covid outbreaks are very regional and involve complicating variables. Florida is well vaccinated. Florida has the highest ratio of elderly in the country. Florida’s weather is hottest and rainiest in August and people head indoors. Florida is a highly tourist state with visitors from other states and countries.

As you pointed out, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts have done as bad or worse in deaths per capita due to Covid.

But Broke will use data that starts around the Delta surge in Florida to provide his BS analysis.

Anything that that idiot posts should be questioned.

KGF

Reaction score
Name the policies that were different in blue states from Florida’s in July, when the delta surge started?

Masks? Nope
Vaccines? Nope. DeSantis has always been pro-vaccine.
Public dining or store policies? Nope.
Schools? Nope. It was summer.

The difference in blue state policies only started after Florida’s Delta outbreak. And Florida has had slowly declining rates of death with those DeSantis policies in place to the point that it became the lowest rate of death per capita since.

Answer that Broke?

kg21

Reaction score
The loony lefties hold republicans to higher standards. Trump and Desantis have or had their numbers posted almost daily.

That does not happen for Oatmeal or any Dem. governor.

I attribute that to high expectations for R's.

Go4Broke

Reaction score

University of Florida researchers pressured to destroy COVID-19 data, told not to criticize DeSantis

Researchers at the University of Florida allegedly felt pressured to delete COVID-19 data while working on a study for an undisclosed state entity, according to a report released on Monday by the Faculty Senate committee. The report stated that staff felt "external pressure to destroy" data and "barriers to accessing and analyzing" data in a timely manner.

The document added that staff said there were "barriers to publication of scientific research which inhibited the ability of faculty to contribute scientific findings during a world-wide pandemic." Other challenges reported to the committee included "palpable reticence and even fear on the part of faculty to speak up on these issues." In addition, faculty "often engaged in self-censorship and chose not to 'rock the boat' for fear of retaliation," according to the report. The University of Florida employees were reportedly told "not to criticize the Governor of Florida [Republican Ron DeSantis] or UF policies related to COVID-19 in media interactions."

KGF

Reaction score
I guess cases are important at this moment, not deaths. It changes from minute to minute.

Deaths are extremely low in Florida.

CD48718F-75D3-4316-A8F0-18B9BA2AC626.jpeg

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

University of Florida researchers pressured to destroy COVID-19 data, told not to criticize DeSantis

Researchers at the University of Florida allegedly felt pressured to delete COVID-19 data while working on a study for an undisclosed state entity, according to a report released on Monday by the Faculty Senate committee. The report stated that staff felt "external pressure to destroy" data and "barriers to accessing and analyzing" data in a timely manner.

The document added that staff said there were "barriers to publication of scientific research which inhibited the ability of faculty to contribute scientific findings during a world-wide pandemic." Other challenges reported to the committee included "palpable reticence and even fear on the part of faculty to speak up on these issues." In addition, faculty "often engaged in self-censorship and chose not to 'rock the boat' for fear of retaliation," according to the report. The University of Florida employees were reportedly told "not to criticize the Governor of Florida [Republican Ron DeSantis] or UF policies related to COVID-19 in media interactions."

I wonder how many state laws he’s broken? How long till the fellas, en mass, flock here to defend him - lead by our favorite faux libertarian

KGF

Reaction score
If we’re worried about cases, I blame Biden.

He was going to “shut down the virus”.

B01303BB-7B38-4326-9EE1-6515AF95CDD1.jpeg

Spoofin

Reaction score
I wonder how many state laws he’s broken? How long till the fellas, en mass, flock here to defend him - lead by our favorite faux libertarian
1000s for sure. This article is a smoking gun.

ecoperson

Reaction score
Cases only matter in Florida. Obviously.
People pay attention to DeSantis because of his very public and aggressive response (or lack thereof) to the pandemic. He stick his neck out to build name recognition so no one should be surprised that a lot of people are ready to take a whack at it. That's how the game works.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Cases only matter in Florida. Obviously.

Well, just in case you were a little unsure about the mounting smear campaign against someone who MIGHT be a potential GOP candidate in 2024, you need to look no further than the good work for Broke and a few others here.

How deathly afraid of DeSantis are the leftos? It's not hard to see that....

And this is JUST the beginning. It will get worse... much, much worse and more vicious

kg21

Reaction score
People pay attention to DeSantis because of his very public and aggressive response (or lack thereof) to the pandemic. He stick his neck out to build name recognition so no one should be surprised that a lot of people are ready to take a whack at it. That's how the game works.
Oatmeal ran on stopping the virus. So NOOOO, that's not how the game works.

I haven't heard a thing about him sticking his neck out on that.

Buy a clue.

KGF

Reaction score
Is he very public or is the media very public about his actions? Probably a little of both.

But, he has press conferences like any other governor. He was very aggressive about protecting nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Florida and saved untold lives by doing so. He was very aggressive about providing monoclonal antibody treatments, especially for those immunocompromised, in Florida with mobile vans that traveled to hot spots within the state. Now they have clinic locations all over the state that provide MCAs to those that make online appointments. He has prevented localities from shutting down schools as children as schools are not a major source of Covid transmissions. He has prevent employers from firing employees b/c they were vax hesitant. He has generally prevented an intrusion on people’s privacy and freedoms. He has protected small and large business from the onerous mandates of the federal government, which has made it easier for small business to stay viable instead of making them a part of Covid rule enforcement.

That’s leadership and it has been very effective and popular with the citizens of Florida. I think he took these actions b/c they are part of his principles as a conservative.

KGF

Reaction score
Louisiana is a state that is run by Dem governor. Louisiana, being a southern state with similar weather to that of Florida, Covid outbreaks have mimicked Florida’s. Louisiana does have a higher proportion of the population that is black, but a far lower proportion of resident over 65. Florida has half the proportion of black population, but a larger proportion of hispanic residents and elderly. The Louisiana case rate is similar to that of Florida’s and its death rate significantly higher, so the Louisiana case fatality rate has been worse than Florida’s for all but a few months since the beginning of the pandemic.

But, without looking it up, who is the Dem governor of Louisiana? I would bet most people don’t know. I wonder why?

Gov. John Bel Edwards isn’t known to many nationally. Why hasn’t he had media stories/articles focused on his Covid failures? We know why. He’s a Democrat. The same goes for Cuomo/Hochel-NY, Murphy-NJ, Wolf-Pennsylvania, Whitmer-Michigan, and other DemAOCrat governors with poor Covid statistics that have harshly locked down their states with Covid mandates.

8EE15B51-82D7-4A20-8245-5FFCA40EB83B.jpeg

16051ACF-09D4-43F8-9794-227D310CA4CE.jpeg

Wally

Reaction score

Righties love this, they want the US to be like China as long as it protects their side, sick.

howeda7

Reaction score
I guess cases are important at this moment, not deaths. It changes from minute to minute.

Deaths are extremely low in Florida.

View attachment 16278
I know Ron is a deeply admired hero of yours, but if you're going to be his Spoof and viscerally defend him against all slights, you might want to pace yourself.

howeda7

Reaction score
Righties love this, they want the US to be like China as long as it protects their side, sick.
They're all in on a Dictatorship as long as it's their Dictator.

Top Bottom