Article in Palm Beach Post

Rog

Reaction score
Below is a copy of an article written by Derek Redd in todays Post.

Many interesting comments that can be related to Brewster and he staff. Both positive and negative which i will not comment.

TALLAHASSEE — From Jimbo Fisher's first news conference as head coach of Florida State, the differences between him and the legend he replaces, Bobby Bowden, were clear — from their coaching philosophies to their personal styles.

Fisher uses a staccato West Virginia twang to get across a tight message sprinkled with Anthony Robbins-like motivational phrases. It's a stark contrast to Bowden's Alabama drawl flush with colloquialisms and "dadgummits."

Fisher is part of a new breed of coaches — a Type-A personality who prefers a hands-on approach over the CEO style Bowden employed near the end of his career.

Fisher, while not criticizing Bowden, clearly plans substantial changes for the Seminoles.

"My goal is to get the structure, the staff, and the support resources in place to facilitate a winning plan and get players into the structure and start effecting change now," Fisher said. "How they think, how they walk, how they talk, how they breathe, in all aspects of how they do things."

During the end of his tenure, Bowden was more of an overseer of the program, literally looking down at practices from his famous observation tower and pacing the sideline (without headphones) during games as his coordinators took charge of strategy.

It's unclear if Fisher will use the practice tower, a structure believed to have been copied from Bowden's coaching hero, Bear Bryant. But considering Fisher's desire to be hands-on, it's unlikely he'll use it or the ubiquitous golf cart that Bowden used to get around. Fans also can expect to see a headphone-wearing Fisher directly involved in every aspect of the coaching plan on game days.

He currently is working with his staff to prepare for National Signing Day on Feb. 3.

Fisher, 44, said he has taken part of his coaching philosophy from Alabama coach Nick Saban, whom Fisher coached under for five years at LSU. It sounds as though it could be taught in a management class at business school.

"The old philosophy in coaching was to get all your players to think more of you as a coach and get your point across," Fisher said. "Our belief and desire is to get our players to feel better about themselves and what they can accomplish. Empowered, confident athletes are winners."

Knowing how to reach a goal, he said, should be as important to his players as the actual result.

Fisher said players will have a support system to help with everything from nutrition to dealing with the public. He talked about "building ambassadors" for FSU, getting more of his players active in the Tallahassee community.

Fisher has said that when it comes to building the best infrastructure for the modern college football player, no one is better than Saban. But Fisher also has said that many of his core values come from his long relationship with Bowden and his family.

Keith Jones, a former FSU defensive back (1978-80) who now serves as a color analyst on FSU's Sun Sports football broadcasts, said Fisher's coaching style might seem much different than Bowden's, but that those disparities would not be so great between Fisher and a young Bowden.

"When Coach Bowden first came to Florida State, he was a hands-on guy," Jones said. "When he got more comfortable with his coaching staff, he relinquished control. I think it's more an age thing than a philosophical difference."

Fisher likely will be quicker to act when something needs to be fixed, Jones said.

"He'll have less patience," he said. "It used to be that, when you hired a coach, he'd get five years. Now he's lucky to get three."

Fisher also will have a much younger staff than that of Bowden, 80.

While Bowden's final staff included assistants such as 67-year-old Mickey Andrews and 63-year-old Chuck Amato, Fisher's includes 33-year-old Darin Eliot (defensive ends) and 35-year-old Dameyune Craig (quarterbacks).

Fisher also will change the off-season conditioning program. And many Seminoles fans will be glad that Fisher changing the spring's Garnet and Gold game from a controlled scrimmage with confusing scoring rules to an actual game.

Future schedules also could have a new look.

When Bowden was transforming FSU into a powerhouse, he had the Seminoles play consecutive road games against Nebraska, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and LSU in 1981, winning three of the games.

In 2010, FSU will play non-conference schools Oklahoma, Florida and Brigham Young. Fisher called such scheduling "crazy," saying that one tough non-conference game is good, but three are too much.

Fisher said he will be his own man, but won't completely abandon Bowden's old-school ways. After all, Bowden did turn FSU into a juggernaut that enjoyed 14 straight top-5 finishes and two national titles.

Plus Bowden won with dignity and class, something Fisher wants to emulate.

"I will have my own philosophies on several things and I will do some things my own way," he said. "But as long as the core values and principles don't change, to me that tradition won't change."

Top Bottom