Are we full up for this class?

Ole

Reaction score
Seems like we are probably 1 spot away from full, with some alternates ready to go.
I have to think they are genuinely saving a spot if McDonald ends up choosing the U, with an alternate in mind if he doesn't. They did this last year too with Daquan Kenney being an alternate to Amaefula and Cockran.

We got out JUCO DT, but are bringing a few DL in this weekend right? So that makes me wonder about the DL situation.

I'm thinking Duke Anywanu greyshirts if Gregory wants in.
Has Hinojosa showed up around campus yet? I wonder if somethings' up there, hopefully not.
Nicholson's academics are probably in by now too. I wonder if DeAnte Lawrence is his plan B, or maybe Drake Michaelson.

I love the last few weeks of recruiting season, there's so much shifting and behind the scenes stuff going on. Hopefully it comes out with 35 great players ready to get this thing pointed in the right direction.

per the strib article, it sounds like hinojosa is already enrolled and taking classes.

We can count back by 3 I believe to 2011 which means 25 goes to 28 and you can oversign by 3. Greyshirts (I'm guessing 3) would count for the 2013 spring enrollment. I think this is correct, but if someone can clarify it would help.

How many medical hardships are there? How does this figure into the number of open slots?

How many medical hardships are there? How does this figure into the number of open slots?

There are three potential medical hardship cases at the present. The first is Xzavian Brandon who is already off the roster. The second is Brooks Michel who is still on the roster but people are saying he won't play again because of a concussion. The third is Brendan Beal whose status is unknown at this time and may not be for a while. If you use the present roster less Brooks Michel and add in our known verbals excluding Duke Anyanwu, Ben Lauer, and Roland Johnson we are presently at 87. If you add those 3 we are now at 90. I have pointed out this potential problem in the past but was told that it would all take care of itself thru academic causalities and transfers.

I personally suspect that part of the solution may have to come from some present players on the roster losing their scholarships but I really don't know this. It should be interesting to see how this plays itself out. There are many things we don't know but hopefully the coaches do know.

Would they take away Hahn & Hill's scholarships? Hill especially has contributed quite a bit.

Good question. MV does not explain why he changed those two players to red. I suspect he did it to get the number od scholarships to balance at 85. Both of those guys were walk-ons who were awarded scholarships later.

The reality is that we do not know how they will end up with the correct number of scholarship players. My bet is that they will use mirrors.

More power to all of you that spend time trying to figure out exactly how many spots we have or how many players we are going to sign. I gave up doing that a long time ago. The coaching staff has a number they are working towards, at this point they have a very good idea how it is all going to work out and are just filling in the final blanks. It never seems like it will but somehow the numbers always come out in the end because there are people making a lot more money then most of us that are paid to make sure they do.

There are three potential medical hardship cases at the present. The first is Xzavian Brandon who is already off the roster. The second is Brooks Michel who is still on the roster but people are saying he won't play again because of a concussion. The third is Brendan Beal whose status is unknown at this time and may not be for a while. If you use the present roster less Brooks Michel and add in our known verbals excluding Duke Anyanwu, Ben Lauer, and Roland Johnson we are presently at 87. If you add those 3 we are now at 90. I have pointed out this potential problem in the past but was told that it would all take care of itself thru academic causalities and transfers.

I personally suspect that part of the solution may have to come from some present players on the roster losing their scholarships but I really don't know this. It should be interesting to see how this plays itself out. There are many things we don't know but hopefully the coaches do know.

Has Lauer committed yet?

I think there is a decent chance that Hahn will not be on scholarship next season. If I remember correctly (from when his was awarded), he was told that it was a year by year type of thing.

As far as Hill, i'd be a little surprised. This is a guy who will either start or play about the same as a starter for us next season. I think it might make it hard to recruit walk ons in the future if you have a kid who is a walk on, have him earn a scholarship and then pulling it away while he is still a starting caliber player.

Here is how I would look at it now:
(1) We are likely to have at least 1 or 2 players be lost due to attrition before next season that we don't lose before signing day. This could come from a player simply deciding to transfer (happens all the time), an injury (hope not, but possibly Beal), or bad grades. So, I think Kill is likely playing the law of averages and assuming that there will be an extra scholarship come August.
(2) Duke and Lauer are likely going to GS, so pull them off of the list, that puts us at 25 for this season.
(3) We currently have 25 openings, assuming every player commits.
(4) There is a chance that a player or two will NOT get into school or sign with the U.

So we have some flexibility.

Bob_Loblaw

I think there is a decent chance that Hahn will not be on scholarship next season. If I remember correctly (from when his was awarded), he was told that it was a year by year type of thing.

As far as Hill, i'd be a little surprised. This is a guy who will either start or play about the same as a starter for us next season. I think it might make it hard to recruit walk ons in the future if you have a kid who is a walk on, have him earn a scholarship and then pulling it away while he is still a starting caliber player.

Here is how I would look at it now:
(1) We are likely to have at least 1 or 2 players be lost due to attrition before next season that we don't lose before signing day. This could come from a player simply deciding to transfer (happens all the time), an injury (hope not, but possibly Beal), or bad grades. So, I think Kill is likely playing the law of averages and assuming that there will be an extra scholarship come August.
(2) Duke and Lauer are likely going to GS, so pull them off of the list, that puts us at 25 for this season.
(3) We currently have 25 openings, assuming every player commits.
(4) There is a chance that a player or two will NOT get into school or sign with the U.

So we have some flexibility.

I understand the grey shirt option but it makes absolutley no sense in this case. We will have only 13 seniors on scholarship this fall so scholarship slots for the 2013 are going to be very limited. If we use some of those slots for grey shirts there are going to be even less scholarships available. I would love to have Dave Mona get coach Kills prespective on this isssue this Sunday.

I understand the grey shirt option but it makes absolutley no sense in this case. We will have only 13 seniors on scholarship this fall so scholarship slots for the 2013 are going to be very limited. If we use some of those slots for grey shirts there are going to be even less scholarships available. I would love to have Dave Mona get coach Kills prespective on this isssue this Sunday.

That's a great point. However, I think Kill's plan is to bring in as much talent as quickly as possible. Duke and Lauer will be a year stronger and have a big heads up next season on potential recruits. So while they will be FR, they will be much closer to being able to contribute.

However, I try not to get too focused on the numbers. I do think that next season's class will be smaller than this year, so your point is definitely legitimate. However, more players leave every year than we really think. If you look at this season, we lost Pride, Singleton, Taufua (spelling?), Michel, Brandon, Bouie, and Gardiner (players who we counted last season at signing day). Gardiner didn't get in, Michel and Brandon were injuries, Taufua/Bouie/Pride were to play at a different school, and i'm not sure what happened with Singleton. My point is that none of them seemed to be victims of a coaching change. Rather, it was closer to natural attrition.

I'd guess next season's class will end up around 20-22 kids. I don't know how we'll get there, but it always seems like we do.

I could certainly be wrong though and your concern is legit.

I would love to have Dave Mona get coach Kills prespective on this isssue this Sunday.

Remember to post this in the thread about questions to pose to coach Kill. Too lazy to link it, or post it for you. But you deserve the credit for posting the question anyways (easy way out for me).

This is likely the main cause for Coach Kill's saying that he can't make mistakes with this class. We know he is focused on getting the right type of student/athletes to fill in the voids and provide depth across the board. He has verbals from a good number who may be athletic enough to change positions and overall, most appear to be decent students and not high risk academically.

Bob_Loblaw

That's a great point. However, I think Kill's plan is to bring in as much talent as quickly as possible. Duke and Lauer will be a year stronger and have a big heads up next season on potential recruits. So while they will be FR, they will be much closer to being able to contribute.

However, I try not to get too focused on the numbers. I do think that next season's class will be smaller than this year, so your point is definitely legitimate. However, more players leave every year than we really think. If you look at this season, we lost Pride, Singleton, Taufua (spelling?), Michel, Brandon, Bouie, and Gardiner (players who we counted last season at signing day). Gardiner didn't get in, Michel and Brandon were injuries, Taufua/Bouie/Pride were to play at a different school, and i'm not sure what happened with Singleton. My point is that none of them seemed to be victims of a coaching change. Rather, it was closer to natural attrition.

I'd guess next season's class will end up around 20-22 kids. I don't know how we'll get there, but it always seems like we do.
I could certainly be wrong though and your concern is legit.

The one thing we can both agree upon is that neither of us knows what going to happen.

My best guess is that we will lose no more than 5 scholarship players through academics, transfers, and medical waivers. Therefore if we have three grey shirts our 2013 class would be 15 and if we have no grey shirts it would be 18.

The one thing we can both agree upon is that neither of us knows what going to happen.

My best guess is that we will lose no more than 5 scholarship players through academics, transfers, and medical waivers. Therefore if we have three grey shirts our 2013 class would be 15 and if we have no grey shirts it would be 18.

Yeah, it's just educated guessing. My guess could certainly be inflated because of the years of Brew and Mase (at the end) and their higher attrition rates. My thinking is just that next season, it's still a new staff, there might be kids who are RS SO's next year who see the writing on the wall that they probably won't play and with the high number of JuCo guys we brought in the last couple years (more of academic risk). But you're right, it's hard to tell, especially with Kill because we haven't seen it play out before.

Another form (good) of attrition is graduation. We often look at academics (those failing) as a major culprit in attrition and with good reason. Nevertheless, I wonder if there are some players that will graduate this spring and then decide it's time to move on and begin their post college career(s).

Go Gophers!!

Another form (good) of attrition is graduation. We often look at academics (those failing) as a major culprit in attrition and with good reason. Nevertheless, I wonder if there are some players that will graduate this spring and then decide it's time to move on and begin their post college career(s).

Go Gophers!!

No way*, unless they are getting a CEO gig. Play football, and get a free room and board and a free post-graduate degree? Any kid that graduates early and passes that up wasn't smart enough to graduate early.

*I suppose its happened once...

No way*, unless they are getting a CEO gig. Play football, and get a free room and board and a free post-graduate degree? Any kid that graduates early and passes that up wasn't smart enough to graduate early.

Good point! However, if they're tired of the grind they may consider moving on. Additionally, I know several individuals that graduated and earned post graduate degrees and their studies were paid for by the company they work for. (My daughter being one. She earned her MBA, which was paid for by her company; however, if she had left the company within a certain period of time, her post graduate expenses would have been factored in the time she had remained with the firm after receiving her post graduate degree.)

Go Gophers!!

I know for certain that Seth Thompson decided to for go an additional year after earning a scholarship as a RJr.

Top Bottom