Are we down to playing for Rivalry Trophies now?

What’s it gonna take at this point for you to feel good about the season?

• Win out, get lucky and win the west.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 9 wins and I’m good.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Win all the traveling trophies on the schedule.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 8 wins

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Just beat Whisky and Iowa is all I care about at this point

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Did you see the Vikings are 5-1! With a 2 game lead over the Packers?

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Seeing how we need to run the table and pray for 2 more losses to both Purdue and Illinois, it may be time to look to the rivalry trophies for what is a good season.

I’ve always said a good season is 10 wins or any record while beating Iowa and Wisconsin!

So check the poll and answer what you need to call it a good season.

Not really into moving my personal goal posts. It was about winning the West this year. Anything less is a big disappointment for me.

It's a copout answer but I honestly can't say what it would take over the final 6 weeks for me to feel good about the season. Right now it is a pretty major bummer given that this team looked poised to compete for the West and now doesn't. That said, a lot can and will change over the final 6 weeks of the regular season which could drastically shift the way this season is viewed when it is all said and done.

I had them at 10-2 with one unexplainable loss and now it's looking like 7-5/8-4 (I'm not buying the they won't win another game, 6-6 takes)

It sucks, but I'm going to watch and root for season. If they finish strong, finally beat Iowa and hopefully keep the axe, there will be some good vibes tinged with disappointment

if we lose trophy games, miss the west, I won't be calling for PJ's head, but he'll have work to do to maintain his status and if next year we lay a dud he should be on the hot seat.

While I understand the negativity and frustration, I really have a hard time after gophers loss hanging out here seeing some of the ridiculous takes...fire everyone, we have no talent, Morgan is terrible, blah blah

If we get four more in the regular season, getting the Bell, Chair, Pig and Axe, and then get a bowl victory to have nine wins in total? I'd be pretty damn happy. May not be 10 wins, but the trophy case would sure be looking good.

Here's the thing. Win next week and we still have a chance. Iowa and Wisconsin just don't look very good this year. (I'm still afraid of Iowa's defense though)Nebraska might honestly be the best team on our schedule after PSU.

My guess is that we get rolled this weekend, but then come back and win the rest. Possibly a loss to Nebraska or to one of Wisc/Iowa.

That would make it 8-4. Not what anyone wanted when the season started, but this is still much better than being what this program has historically been.

While I understand the negativity and frustration, I really have a hard time after gophers loss hanging out here seeing some of the ridiculous takes...fire everyone, we have no talent, Morgan is terrible, blah blah
The trick is to be real careful which threads you go to for the first few days after a loss while the trolls do their happy dance all over the forum. After a few days they tire out some and more rational discussions can happen. :)

The CFP ship has sailed.

A really good season is still in reach and the first step would be a win in Happy Valley this Saturday.

All the major rivalry games are still to come, and the Gophers could be favored in all of them.

The West still ain't over. Plenty of scenarios where 2 loss Minnesota could win it.

I'm just troubled by how total the loss was on Saturday. It's hard to be hopeful that this team could win 5-6 of the remaining games with how badly it was pushed around by Illinois.

Frankly - anything short of a trip to Indianapolis was gonna be a let down for me this year. So yea, it's the rivalry games, but even if we win them I'll still be frustrated at this year. It's really not the Gophers fault, it's my fault for losing sight of the fact that I have season tickets to create memories with friends - winning the west can't be my focus because even the best programs will fail most of the time. But yea....before I die (gophers version)

It's a copout answer but I honestly can't say what it would take over the final 6 weeks for me to feel good about the season. Right now it is a pretty major bummer given that this team looked poised to compete for the West and now doesn't. That said, a lot can and will change over the final 6 weeks of the regular season which could drastically shift the way this season is viewed when it is all said and done.
Right now I don't see a world where we compete for the West because of the tie breaker disadvantages we have. But if we can win next week, my heart will open back up just a bit.

Then by all means DO NOT read the comments in the StarTribune Gopher football section. The only one missing over there is a young Danny DeVito struggling to learn blackjack.

Win the Pig & Axe and I’m very happy. Add a victory in Lincoln and I’m ecstatic.

Top Bottom