Are Iowa fans still scared of Brewster?

Travdaddy84

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a rehash. All I hear is Iowa fans talking about how they would be happy for us if we got rid of Brewster. Why would it make them happy? They want him to just lay down and give them the win. I don't get it. If I were a Iowa fan I would want us to keep Brewster. Either way I still think its to early to call for Brewster's head since he is still playing garbage left by Mason.

There is no doubt that questions should be made about his game managing skills and the fact he hasn't tried Gray full time yet. I do like his patience with the younger players though. He is bringing most of them along slowly. Especially the O-Line. I think we will have about the same record next year, but we will be improved. I can smell the talent! I think the Iowa fans can too. I love it that they hate Brewster's eternal optimism.

His optimism may piss a lot of Gopher fans off, but as a second tier school in the Big Ten its what we need to raise the program up. Patience is a virtue. We don't need another head coach to come in and rebuild.

I like Brewster but I have never heard any opposition fan "scared" of Brewster. Are we scared of Bielama? No we want him there to run Wisconsin into the ground. I would say Iowa and Wisconsin fans feel the same way about Brewster and will until he starts beating them.

The rest of the Big Ten has no opinion.

Iowa fans have more pressing concerns. Like the ASPCA.

I don't recall ever being scared of Brewster. I was thrilled when you guys hired him and I hope you never fire him. There are some Iowa fans who think he's annoying, but no one is scared of his coaching ability.

I don't recall ever being scared of Brewster. I was thrilled when you guys hired him and I hope you never fire him. There are some Iowa fans who think he's annoying, but no one is scared of his coaching ability.

Kinda like Gopher fans when Ferentz was hired.

Seriously, I will be thrilled if Brewster can accomplish what Ferentz did after year three.

I like Brewster but I have never heard any opposition fan "scared" of Brewster. Are we scared of Bielama? No we want him there to run Wisconsin into the ground. I would say Iowa and Wisconsin fans feel the same way about Brewster and will until he starts beating them.

The rest of the Big Ten has no opinion.

Bielema is 36-13. I guess we have a different definition of running into the ground.

The only thing to fear as a Badgers or Hawkeyes fan is University of Minnesota Golden Gophers head football Tim Brewster getting fired.

Sorry if this is a rehash. All I hear is Iowa fans talking about how they would be happy for us if we got rid of Brewster. Why would it make them happy? They want him to just lay down and give them the win. I don't get it. If I were a Iowa fan I would want us to keep Brewster. Either way I still think its to early to call for Brewster's head since he is still playing garbage left by Mason

What does it tell you when a lot of that "garbage" is still higher on the depth chart than many of Brewster's recruits?

What does it tell you when a lot of that "garbage" is still higher on the depth chart than many of Brewster's recruits?

It tells me that Brewster's oldest recruits are redshirt freshmen and sophomores. And it tells me that he's more content with getting them up to speed, mentally and athletically, before he throws them at Big Ten competition. This will happen in 2010.

I don't think anyone is necessarily scared of Coach Brewster right now. He has shown he can bring in some highly regarded recruits. The questions now are:
1. Can he develop highly-touted high school kids into good/great college players?
2. Will he be a good coach, specifically in preparation and in-game adjustments?

I don't think anyone is necessarily scared of Coach Brewster right now. He has shown he can bring in some highly regarded recruits. The questions now are:
1. Can he develop highly-touted high school kids into good/great college players?
2. Will he be a good coach, specifically in preparation and in-game adjustments?

Wow. That was an incredibly well-reasoned and non-reactionary post. Maybe I've got you Iowa people all wrong.... :)

Sorry if this is a rehash. All I hear is Iowa fans talking about how they would be happy for us if we got rid of Brewster. Why would it make them happy? They want him to just lay down and give them the win. I don't get it. If I were a Iowa fan I would want us to keep Brewster. Either way I still think its to early to call for Brewster's head since he is still playing garbage left by Mason.

There is no doubt that questions should be made about his game managing skills and the fact he hasn't tried Gray full time yet. I do like his patience with the younger players though. He is bringing most of them along slowly. Especially the O-Line. I think we will have about the same record next year, but we will be improved. I can smell the talent! I think the Iowa fans can too. I love it that they hate Brewster's eternal optimism.

His optimism may piss a lot of Gopher fans off, but as a second tier school in the Big Ten its what we need to raise the program up. Patience is a virtue. We don't need another head coach to come in and rebuild.

This Iowa fan views Brewster as a less-jerky, more goofy clone of Ron Zook.

Puts all his eggs in the recruiting basket - to the detriment of gameday coaching and long-term program stability.

I suspect that like Illinois, Minnesota under Brewster will be maddening. Rising up and having good seasons and pulling off unexpected wins from time to time, but also going into inexplicable tailspins and sowing dissension at times as well.

The coach I'm currently worried about as an Iowa fan is Paul Rhoads at Iowa State. I think he is a good developmental coach with a solid long-term plan.

It tells me that Brewster's oldest recruits are redshirt freshmen and sophomores. And it tells me that he's more content with getting them up to speed, mentally and athletically, before he throws them at Big Ten competition. This will happen in 2010.

So, RS Freshman and Sophomores aren't allowed to play? Please. The best players play. Simple as that. You're delusional if you think otherwise. Why doesn't Gray play more? Well, the staff must not trust him in a real game from what they see in practice. I think Brewster is in way over his head but he is not stupid enough to keep his best players on the bench and prevent his team from winning games.

Herky is definitely scared of having to do push-ups for another 55-0 performance.

So, RS Freshman and Sophomores aren't allowed to play? Please. The best players play. Simple as that. You're delusional if you think otherwise. Why doesn't Gray play more? Well, the staff must not trust him in a real game from what they see in practice. I think Brewster is in way over his head but he is not stupid enough to keep his best players on the bench and prevent his team from winning games.

That is not always the case. To think otherwise is simplistic and ignorant. Some coaches, in any sport, prefer to ramp up their players before starting them and/or placing them in game action (see: redshirting).

This is a tactic which may compromise short-term gains in order to build long-term success at a school. Unfortunately for Brewster, many idiots (present company especially included) have such ridiculous expectations that he may not be here to reap the fruits of his labor.

Also, please show me where I said redshirt freshmen and sophomores are not allowed to play. Thanks in advance!

I'm not saying you said that. It was a rhetorical question. I'm saying that the best players play whether they're a true Frosh or 5th year Senior. Someone on this board last week said that most of the 2nd stringers on defense are better than the starters. How ridiculous is that? If they're better, they would be starting. I'm not saying the younger players (Brew's recruits) won't be better down the road, but at this very moment in time, they are not better than the current starters.

RS Freshman, Sophomores

Almost always senior and junior d-line or o-line players are better than freshamn and sophomores for 2 reasons: Strength and understanding of their assignments. There aren't many succesful teams across the country with young kids playing in the trenches or even at inside linebacker. There are exceptions. Now skilled positions are different. Wide recievers are fast as freshman and fast as seniors, so it is easier to get on the field. It is not work burning a redshirt year for a freshman lineman to get experience. He will be better his senior year (5th year) than the minimal time playing as a true freshman. Brewster has his issues....Mason had his issues, but both would save lineman, it is the correct approach to build a program.

Yeah, Mason left behind trash like Decker. Before that, there was Maroney, Barber, Utecht, Spaeth, Eslinger, White, etc. etc. Now Brew's recruits are surefire NFL stars. There's ... um ... there's ... um..... guys with potential. After 3 years there's not one single guy you can see in the NFL at this point.

Yeah, Mason left behind trash like Decker. Before that, there was Maroney, Barber, Utecht, Spaeth, Eslinger, White, etc. etc. Now Brew's recruits are surefire NFL stars. There's ... um ... there's ... um..... guys with potential. After 3 years there's not one single guy you can see in the NFL at this point.

You're comparing 2 years' worth of Brewster's recruits (not one of which is even eligible for the NFL Draft, by the way) to 10 years' worth of Mason's recruits?!?!? Brilliant!!!

Seriously, there are plenty of legitimate things to rip Brewster on. You idiots making up stupid sh*t like this are f*cking pathetic. You're not worthy of having that screen name.

Locker room.

One very large reason as to why Gray isn't getting a large chance, and other underclassmen aren't seeing more time is that Brewster fears losing the locker room. There are 26 seniors who have busted their ass for four years with Weber. How do you think they might react if Brester threw Weber under the bus and rolled with a first year guy who is shaky at best. Just another angle I haven't heard discussed about the Weber v. Gray debate.

I just don't think Brewster gets to coach in the black and white world we like to make believe he exists in. There is much to consider, and some roads that can't be un-traveled. Much risk in rolling the dice, and a much longer view to consider than turning a six win season into a seven.

Someone needs to re-title this thread "Are Minnesota fans tired yet of debating Brewster's decisions regarding playing underclassmen?"

Judging by the threadjack, I think the answer is a resounding NO!

One very large reason as to why Gray isn't getting a large chance, and other underclassmen aren't seeing more time is that Brewster fears losing the locker room. There are 26 seniors who have busted their ass for four years with Weber. How do you think they might react if Brester threw Weber under the bus and rolled with a first year guy who is shaky at best. Just another angle I haven't heard discussed about the Weber v. Gray debate.

This isn't 3rd grade intramurals. If Brewster isn't playing the youngsters because he's afraid of hurting someone's feelings, then he needs to be fired immediately. Life isn't fair and there's no entitlement when it comes to playing time at the D-I level. The best players play and the others sit. How else do you explain Pittman and Carpenter? Those 2 were supposed to be the next Moss and Carter and neither is nothing more than a warm body on the scout team during practice.

+10,000 :clap:

the argument that Brewsters players are not better because otherwise they would be playing more is so completely stupid and I am so tired of the idiotic people who say that. nice post

Risking player development at this point in the program is not worth more wins. It is better to lose and get the young guys ready for the future than to force them out there and jeopardize their development and confidence. That is why the records these last few seasons for Brewster don't mean much, We are building for bigger and better. 2011 and beyond is what really matters when Brewster kids are upperclassman and the whole roster is his guys not 2 star MAC rejects.
these wins are just gravy.

I'm not saying you said that. It was a rhetorical question. I'm saying that the best players play whether they're a true Frosh or 5th year Senior. Someone on this board last week said that most of the 2nd stringers on defense are better than the starters. How ridiculous is that? If they're better, they would be starting. I'm not saying the younger players (Brew's recruits) won't be better down the road, but at this very moment in time, they are not better than the current starters.

It was me and it is still true, check out the stars and what programs were recruiting them. They are better and are being groomed for the future playing spot duty not being thrown to the wolves.

Risking player development at this point in the program is not worth more wins. It is better to lose and get the young guys ready for the future than to force them out there and jeopardize their development and confidence. That is why the records these last few seasons for Brewster don't mean much, We are building for bigger and better. 2011 and beyond is what really matters when Brewster kids are upperclassman and the whole roster is his guys not 2 star MAC rejects.
these wins are just gravy.

LOL!! This is the dumbest post ever on this board. You are basically saying that Brewster and his staff are "tanking" the first 3 years of his tenure and not trying to win. That is so ludicrous. Brewster is playing the players that give the team the best chance to win. He is not letting better players sit on the bench and worrying about their psyche (sp?).

My God I can't believe I'm even repsonding to this. I'm done.

Disagree, and I am not saying they are tanking on purpose but the wins are not as important as the big picture growth of the program. And you don't think Coaches sit better players in order to develop them and let them learn? You are crazy, every Coach does that through redshirting and letting players put on weight and muscle before they take the field. Starter does not always mean "better" some starters are just keeping spots warm

Top Bottom