APPLE VALLEY TOOK ON SAINT LOUIS PARK IN A BOYS' HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL GAME

stevenmgr

Reaction score
Basketball fans packed the house at Saint Louis Park High School for a boys' basketball game against Apple Valley High School on Tuesday December 4 2012. The buzz was around Tyus Robert Jones who is ranked the top guard in the nation who is in the class of 2014. Jones who has been recruited heavy by every major college team in the country has narrowed his college choices down to Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, UNC.

The game was a great fun game to watch. I was able to talk to Michigan State coach. Ill head coach was at the game and KU were all in the building to watch a fun High School basketball game.

Tyus and Kashif Hayes really had a good game and as a basketball fan it was fun to watch these two players play against each other.

Kashif Hayes stat Line was 10-21 from the Field that included going 3-9 from the three-point line. He shot 14-15 from the free throw line for a total of 37 points. He grabbed a total of 2 offensive rebounds turned it over two times. Had two personal fouls, 1 assist, 0 blocked shots and 3 steals in 30:27 minutes of action.

Tyus Robert Jones stat line was 8-14 from the field that included going 0-4 from behind the three-point line. 17-18 from the free throw line, 33 points, 1 offensive rebound, 2 defensive rebounds, 3 total rebounds, 3 turn overs, 2 personal fouls, 7 assists, 5 turn overs, 0 blocked shots, and 3 seals in 32:25 minutes played.

I thought that the game was a very entertaining game. Both Kashif Hayes and Tyus Robert Jones played awfully well. They were fun to watch and they both could do some amazing things on the floor. For Jones he was able to guide his team and they were able to follow his directions and they were able to get him the ball and took shots where he felt that he could make them. Him and Hayes battled all night long.

Kashif Hayes had a coming out party I thought. He seemed confident with the ball and was able to create his shot and his teammates got him the ball in spots where he could shoot it. I think that the pace of the game got to Saint Louis Park and they were not ready for the quickness of the game and they had a hard time guarding Tyus Robert Jones at some points in the game.

Over all it was a great game and a lot of fun and both teams played very well.

impressive road win @ a quality team. SLP boasts 12 seniors on roster no jrs. or underclassmen. tyus 7-5 assist to turnover ratio surprising

That is a lot of shots for Hayes. How sure are we he had 37pts? STrib had him at 34. Either way, good win for AV. I am excited to see the big freshman they have.

I was at the game and had a couple of observations

Tyus had two awful turnovers in the first three minutes of the game but as the game went on he got into a much better rhythm and really took over towards the end. I was sitting next to Thad Matta and one of his assistants. They were mostly quite throughout but Tyus' dad was with them and was working to talk their ears off.

My perception at the end of the game was that Tyus looks like he'll fit in well at the major D1 level and that he has great court vision, but I don't see how he is the #1 recruit in the nation. He did a great job of dishing the ball to his teammates but his defensive effort was severely lacking through most of the game and his shooting needs a lot of work (all of his 3's and several of his jump shots weren't even close)

The kid who impressed me most was the 6'10" freshman on Apple Valley. He was extremely powerful and lots of fun to watch.

Usually not a good idea to judge someone's jumper, or overall game for that matter, based on one game

From what I've heard from people in attendance. This was a pretty pedestrian game for Tyus as far as his jump shooting, which makes his 33 points all the more impressive. He has a very good jump shot for his age, but the reason he is the #1 recruit is because his court vision is outstanding. When he was in 8th grade, the scouts said that he could start on many college teams right now, and they weren't kidding. His game isn't about being the most athletic guy on the court because he really isn't known for his athleticism (That's more Rashad). It's about being the smartest guy on the court, and he certainly is. He's always two steps ahead of the opposition.

8-14 exc. shooting for a guard 0-4 from 3 happens. I mentioned here last week that the gophs should offer the Big from AV. Will admit Tyus at number one seems high but most number ones turn out to be over-rated

8-14 exc. shooting for a guard 0-4 from 3 happens. I mentioned here last week that the gophs should offer the Big from AV. Will admit Tyus at number one seems high but most number ones turn out to be over-rated

Number one or number 10.....all just a number there, still an absolutely great player. Part of that number one in my mind is the value of a top notch point guard. This position can make all the other players that much better. Tyus will make everyone else on his team better. Tyus with Rashad Vaughn and Andre as a senior. Wow!

I mentioned here last week that the gophs should offer the Big from AV. Will admit Tyus at number one seems high but most number ones turn out to be over-rated

You also "mentioned" here last year that the gophs should offer the big from Osseo....

did not make all metro as an 8th grader to declare a non all metro player is ready to start D1 basketball is patently absurd and unprecedented.

defensive effort was severely lacking through most of the game and his shooting needs a lot of work (all of his 3's and several of his jump shots weren't even close)

He is preparing to play for D'Antoni, no defensive effort at all. His outside shot has always been bad & improved very little. Can finish in traffic & yes, his court vision is off the charts.

He is preparing to play for D'Antoni, no defensive effort at all. His outside shot has always been bad & improved very little. Can finish in traffic & yes, his court vision is off the charts.

He can play lock-down defense when he wants to, he showed that in the EYBL

Tyus can be an elite defender when he choses to be. He is the best HS PG out of MN i have ever seen -- including khalid. Tyus makes the game seem so easy; he makes the 'right' play almost every time and very rarely forces the issue. He could average 40 a night if he wanted to, but he is an amazing distributer of the ball and a true leader.

He is a joy to watch at the HS level and someone you have to watch for an entire game or two, to really appreciate how talented he really is. Doesn't wow you with athelticism, but has turned himself into a very good athlete at the PG position.

He'll make some program very happy - hopefully it's the U. But i'll gladly settle for Rashard 2014 and Jarvis Johnson 2015 to take over for Dre...Theisen/Travis would be nice in-state gets as well even though I think Travis is headed out east like his brother (just personal opinion)

Saturday will be entertaining -- Tyus vs Hooker and Vaughn vs Dearing

go gophers

He can play lock-down defense when he wants to, he showed that in the EYBL

I've seen him play good D & know he can if he wants to. It's not often though.

I watched him play almost no defense in playoff season ending losses. Puzzling. Coach Goring is mostly to blame for letting that happen.

He isn't Hoffarber, but to say Tyus is a '"bad" shooter is just plain stupid. Not even remotely true.

Theisen will be a solid mid-major player somewhere.

He was very highly rated with Vaughn & Tyus a few years ago when the early 2014 class rankings came out. Vaughn and Tyus shot up the board. Theisen fell way down.

Bad. Well, poor or not good may be more correct.

Anyone who has seen him extensively would call him an above average shooter. You would have a hard time finding anyone who agrees with you outside of people who either have only seen him play once or twice or just simply don't know anything about basketball.

I seen a lot of bricks and bad misses from him.

Gross.

Anyone who has seen him extensively would call him an above average shooter.

That's funny. For a PG & #1 prospect he is a poor shooter. It's clearly his biggest weakness.

You would have a hard time finding anyone who agrees with you outside of people who either have only seen him play once or twice or just simply don't know anything about basketball.
Nice try. You couldn't be more wrong.

Lame.

If by poor shooter you guys mean he would have one of the best shots on this year's team. Then yes, he's a terrible shooter.

Theisen from Osseo hasn't improved that much and is slow. Still a big fram who finishes well with both hands around the hoop and seems to have a little bit of a face-up game. I haven't seen him play for a calendar year though so maybe he has changed.

Anyone who thinks Tyus is overrated might be right, he might not be the #1 player in the country for his class, but he is still the best PG in the state and one of the best in the country. I have never seen a better high school guard. He is a plenty good shooter and has shown it against the best competition. Look at his EYBL stats and tell me he is a bad shooter (from the Peach Jam Finals, top 24 teams)

http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Pulley.pdf

Tyus seems to get bored with high school games and doesn't have the same effort because he knows he can dominate almost everyone he goes against during the school year. I'd like to see him show more interest on defense but its not critical in most games for him. He is also use to having all sorts of shot blocks behind him when he plays with Howard Pulley or Team USA so his tendencies might not be perfect for an average high school squad.

Top Bottom