Apparently Heupel not an option

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
from www.footballscoop.com:

Oklahoma: Despite a report in the Tulsa World newspaper, FootballScoop has confirmed that Oklahoma quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel is not interviewing at Minnesota.

So much for that little bit of excitement.

Guess I'll prepare myself for about 3-4 more of these types of false hopes.

Not so fast! footballcoachscoop.com says...

Minnesota:
We have confirmed that Oklahoma Quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel has spoken with Head Coach Tim Brewster about the vacant Offensive Coordinator
position to replace Jedd Fisch. Fisch resigned this week to work for Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks.

Looks like it is us vs. Arizona for both Heupel and Cannales.

It would seem to me, which someone alluded to in the other thread, that we shouldn't be wasting our time here. If Heupel is in fact interested, and that interest is mutual to the extent that they have in fact arranged for an interview, then it would seem it would be to get this (an agreement to move forward) done quickly.

I doubt Heupel would interview if he had any sense that he isn't the lead guy, and I doubt Brewster would interview him w/o knowing ahead of time that he would accept if offered. Why would Brew interview Heupel and open himself up to being told "no" again? And two years in a row? That would be ridiculous.

It would seem to me, which someone alluded to in the other thread, that we shouldn't be wasting our time here. If Heupel is in fact interested, and that interest is mutual to the extent that they have in fact arranged for an interview, then it would seem it would be to get this (an agreement to move forward) done quickly.

I doubt Heupel would interview if he had any sense that he isn't the lead guy, and I doubt Brewster would interview him w/o knowing ahead of time that he would accept if offered. Why would Brew interview Heupel and open himself up to being told "no" again? And two years in a row? That would be ridiculous.

Uhhhhhh....because he's Tim Brewster. that's why.

Looks like it is us vs. Arizona for both Heupel and Cannales.

You would think that Heupels' first choice would be Arizona because of his familiarity with Stoops and the fact that the HC situation is a lot more stable there than here.

You would think that Heupels' first choice would be Arizona because of his familiarity with Stoops

How is he all that familiar with Mike Stoops? They have never coached together. They were on the same team for two years, when Heupel was the QB and Stoops was the DC. Call me crazy, but I don't think the QB spends a lot of time in meetings with the defense.

and the fact that the HC situation is a lot more stable there than here.

Again, how do you figure? Stoops' contract runs through 2013. If the rumored Brewster 3-yr extension goes through, his contract will run through 2014. At this moment in time, yes, you are correct. But that will not be the case whenever the extension is signed.

You are letting your seething hatred for Brewster cloud the facts. If Heupel goes to Arizona, it certainly won't be because of some perceived stability. Before the 2008 season, Stoops never even had a winning record at Arizona. And now he's suddenly some coaching deity compared to Brewster? Give me a break.

How is he all that familiar with Mike Stoops? They have never coached together. They were on the same team for two years, when Heupel was the QB and Stoops was the DC. Call me crazy, but I don't think the QB spends a lot of time in meetings with the defense.

Again, how do you figure? Stoops' contract runs through 2013. If the rumored Brewster 3-yr extension goes through, his contract will run through 2014. At this moment in time, yes, you are correct. But that will not be the case whenever the extension is signed.

You are letting your seething hatred for Brewster cloud the facts. If Heupel goes to Arizona, it certainly won't be because of some perceived stability. Before the 2008 season, Stoops never even had a winning record at Arizona. And now he's suddenly some coaching deity compared to Brewster? Give me a break.

After the great season that Stoops had this year(almost won Pac-10) there he is definitely not on the hot seat like Brewster is. Regardless of the meaningless extension (from a financial buyout perspective) that Brewster is likely to sign, he could very well be fired after this next season while Stoops is pretty safe from that. Two years with Stoops and working for his brother would likely make him more familar with Stoops then with Brewster. 2 years > 0 years with Brewster. At the end of the day however I would be suprised to see him leave OU when the chance exists to become OC there. He has a foundation in Oklahoma, his sister is married to the son of the president of OU who is a US House Rep for Oklahoma, and his dad has a business in Oklahoma now. His whole life is in Oklahoma now, not South Dakota anymore.

Not so fast! footballcoachscoop.com says...

Minnesota:
We have confirmed that Oklahoma Quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel has spoken with Head Coach Tim Brewster about the vacant Offensive Coordinator
position to replace Jedd Fisch. Fisch resigned this week to work for Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks.

I may be splitting hairs here but it is possible Brew talked with him but did not interview him. It may have been a simple as Brew inquiring if he was interested or not. If the answer was NO, then they would have spoken but not interviewed.

I may be splitting hairs here but it is possible Brew talked with him but did not interview him. It may have been a simple as Brew inquiring if he was interested or not. If the answer was NO, then they would have spoken but not interviewed.

Ya know, I think you may be on to something. I kind of thought about that after hastily posting the quote.

Depends of his longterm intentions. If you want to make a name for yourself you take a down pgm. and build it up. If he goes to Ariz. and has a bad yr. it looks bad. If he has a bad yr here, no big suprise, but if he brings them up to the middle of the pack or higher in a yr or 2, then we'll be looking again.

I need to correct my earlier post. Apparently, Heupel did work under Mike Stoops for a year (2005) at Arizona as the TE coach.

My mistake.

I need to correct my earlier post. Apparently, Heupel did work under Mike Stoops for a year (2005) at Arizona as the TE coach.

My mistake.

Screenshot taken and saved.

Top Bottom