AP: Gophers players almost reinstated boycott over suspensions

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...s-almost-reinstated-boycott-over-suspensions/

Looks like the decision to end the boycott was not an easy one and two members of the BOR were initially supportive of reinstating 5 of the players for the bowl game.

"The Associated Press is reporting that the decision by the University of Minnesota football team to end its “boycott” to protest the suspension of 10 players alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman, was not as final as first reported.
The story presented by U of M president Eric Kaler was that the players accepted his explanation for the school’s investigation into the players’ actions.
But AP’s Jon Krawczysnki reports today that the players were so upset by Kaler taking credit that they wanted to reinstate the boycott.
The players met with two regents — Darrin Rosha and Michael Hsu — who had been vocal in their opposition to the school’s sexual assault policies in the past.
Krawczysnki says Kaler and athletic director Mark Coyle heard about the pending meeting and tried an end-around."

"Kaler and Coyle tried to re-engage the players before Hsu and Rosha could meet with them that night. They offered to reinstate the second group of five players for the bowl, but pulled that back when the university said the woman who made the accusations would have to approve that,"

What the hell does that mean? Who is making these calls?

"Kaler and Coyle tried to re-engage the players before Hsu and Rosha could meet with them that night. They offered to reinstate the second group of five players for the bowl, but pulled that back when the university said the woman who made the accusations would have to approve that,"

What the hell does that mean? Who is making these calls?
Exactly! Sounds like at least two BOR members are not on the same page as Kaler and Coyle. Or maybe Kaler/Coyle/EOAA made that offer and the players didn't think it was worth asking the woman to approve?

From the Pioneer Press:

They were playing, they said, because Kaler and Coyle had agreed to ensure that their teammates would get an appeals hearing before a diverse panel — something they insisted on because all 10 accused in the case are black.

But even with the boycott rescinded, they didn’t feel like they had a resolution, at least not with school leaders.

“I believe this could very well have been avoided,” Rosha said. “The team appeared to appreciate having a respectful dialogue.”

From the Pioneer Press:

They were playing, they said, because Kaler and Coyle had agreed to ensure that their teammates would get an appeals hearing before a diverse panel — something they insisted on because all 10 accused in the case are black.

But even with the boycott rescinded, they didn’t feel like they had a resolution, at least not with school leaders.

“I believe this could very well have been avoided,” Rosha said. “The team appeared to appreciate having a respectful dialogue.”
Interesting and it sounds like Rosha and Hsu appear to be at odds with Kaler and the report and they will be pushing for a fair hearing.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...s-almost-reinstated-boycott-over-suspensions/

Looks like the decision to end the boycott was not an easy one and two members of the BOR were initially supportive of reinstating 5 of the players for the bowl game.

"The Associated Press is reporting that the decision by the University of Minnesota football team to end its “boycott” to protest the suspension of 10 players alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman, was not as final as first reported.
The story presented by U of M president Eric Kaler was that the players accepted his explanation for the school’s investigation into the players’ actions.
But AP’s Jon Krawczysnki reports today that the players were so upset by Kaler taking credit that they wanted to reinstate the boycott.
The players met with two regents — Darrin Rosha and Michael Hsu — who had been vocal in their opposition to the school’s sexual assault policies in the past.
Krawczysnki says Kaler and athletic director Mark Coyle heard about the pending meeting and tried an end-around."

The original story about ending the boycott said that there were players who wanted it to continue, but they were voted down by teammates who wanted the boycott to end.

Interesting and it sounds like Rosha and Hsu appear to be at odds with Kaler and the report and they will be pushing for a fair hearing.
Yes, it paints both Kaler and Coyle as wishy-washy, having no clue how to broker between the feminazi, EoAA, and a football team wanting a fair process in the Title IX hearings.

Yes, it paints both Kaler and Coyle as wishy-washy, having no clue how to broker between the feminazi, EoAA, and a football team wanting a fair process in the Title IX hearings.

Okay I agree with your thoughts about a fair hearing and wishy washy, but please can you refrain from derogatory names like feminazi?

Okay I agree with your thoughts about a fair hearing and wishy washy, but please can you refrain from derogatory names like feminazi?

When players are being painted as rapists by the media, or allowing that perception to proceed unchecked, that is your concern?

Read the comments section of any of these articles. The perception now is 10-20 football players raped the girl including all ten that were suspended. None of this is being clarified by our media members

[emoji41] I will try. I find the tribalistic feminist to be someone you cannot negotiate with. Her utter contempt for any man who hasn't been castrated and made to wear a dress is appalling.

When players are being painted as rapists by the media, or allowing that perception to proceed unchecked, that is your concern?

Read the comments section of any of these articles. The perception now is 10-20 football players raped the girl including all ten that were suspended. None of this is being clarified by our media members

It's a negative and easy to vilify story that allows folks with any negative feelings towards sports in general or the Gophers to pile on.

It took many mistakes and failures to reach this point with the biggest being what happened that night and then a series of blunders post sep 2nd by administrators.

To blame it all on women with an agenda is misplacing blame in my opinion.

It's a negative and easy to vilify story that allows folks with any negative feelings towards sports in general or the Gophers to pile on.

It took many mistakes and failures to reach this point with the biggest being what happened that night and then a series of blunders post sep 2nd by administrators.

To blame it all on women with an agenda is misplacing blame in my opinion.
There were some castrated progressive men, wearing skirts, involved. [emoji41]

Looks like Tom Webber will have Jon Krawczysnk on at 11am this morning to discuss 91.1 or mpr.org.

Just more evidence that a complete cleaning of the house from top to bottom is in order. Including the title 1X leaders, President, A.D. , Coach, some BoR members. ..... everyone!

WOW -

"Kaler and Coyle tried to re-engage the players before Hsu and Rosha could meet with them that night. They offered to reinstate the second group of five players for the bowl, but pulled that back when the university said the woman who made the accusations would have to approve that, four people involved in the discussions told the AP."

Just more evidence that a complete cleaning of the house from top to bottom is in order. Including the title 1X leaders, President, A.D. , Coach, some BoR members. ..... everyone!

While I think you're being sarcastic, I don't think it is totally outlandish. I personally think the Pres, AD, and Claeys should be gone. I actually think Claeys handled this situation well, but I believe the entire vibe from the U is ugly right now. In an attempt to gain some respect and positive vibe back from the public all three have to go.

The more I think about it Coyle could have eliminated this situation from the start. Before the ten were suspended, he should have met with the team and explained the situation. Obviously, details/data privacy has to be left out, but he could say that powers above him have conducted interviews, etc and this is what they recommend. His job as AD is to advocate for the student-athletes and he did nothing to look out for the best interest of the 90 other players. Did he really think if he pulled 10% of the team off the team after everyone, including the victim, appeared to be ready to move on from this that they would be fine with the suspensions?

WOW -

"Kaler and Coyle tried to re-engage the players before Hsu and Rosha could meet with them that night. They offered to reinstate the second group of five players for the bowl, but pulled that back when the university said the woman who made the accusations would have to approve that, four people involved in the discussions told the AP."

Wow.

WOW -

If any of that is true. See ya Kaler and Coyle.

Sounds like there is a significant divide on the BOR right now. Is it up to the chairperson to sort that out or?

Exactly! Sounds like at least two BOR members are not on the same page as Kaler and Coyle. Or maybe Kaler/Coyle/EOAA made that offer and the players didn't think it was worth asking the woman to approve?

Actually the AP article quoted Hsu as saying, "we had nothing to give them". So the two regents weren't looking to be on a page.

Kaler and Coyle left talks with the players before 9 p.m. without an agreement and players prepared to skip the game. The players invited the regents in, according to three people who were there, and a marathon discussion lasted until dawn.

"We weren't negotiating," Hsu said. "We had nothing to give them. We were only there to talk to them, help understand them, help them understand us, the university, us as regents. Help them think through the ramifications."

While I think you're being sarcastic, I don't think it is totally outlandish. I personally think the Pres, AD, and Claeys should be gone. I actually think Claeys handled this situation well, but I believe the entire vibe from the U is ugly right now. In an attempt to gain some respect and positive vibe back from the public all three have to go.

The more I think about it Coyle could have eliminated this situation from the start. Before the ten were suspended, he should have met with the team and explained the situation. Obviously, details/data privacy has to be left out, but he could say that powers above him have conducted interviews, etc and this is what they recommend. His job as AD is to advocate for the student-athletes and he did nothing to look out for the best interest of the 90 other players. Did he really think if he pulled 10% of the team off the team after everyone, including the victim, appeared to be ready to move on from this that they would be fine with the suspensions?

I believe this, too. There would've been no boycott, and probably far less anger, if the team (and coaches) were fully aware of the school's policies, process and the status of the investigation. The quote from the regent in the final paragraph of the article also supports this:

I believe this, too. There would've been no boycott, and probably far less anger, if the team (and coaches) were fully aware of the school's policies, process and the status of the investigation. The quote from the regent in the final paragraph of the article also supports this:

I want to hear the story about the BEGINNING of the boycott, and whose great idea that was.

"Man, 10 of us have been suspended for participating in a gang bang, and there are whispers that it might not be consensual, what should we do?"

"Let's refuse to play until everybody is reinstated! The public will get right behind, us, and boy will the President and AD bow to our will then! Due process is sexy! "

Really poorly handled.

It also reads that Coyle is Kaler's puppet. I get it, he's the boss. But there has been little to show me that Coyle has had any hand in the decision or communications, this all seems to be coming from Kaler through Coyle.

This whole incident is why we can't have nice things.

It also reads that Coyle is Kaler's puppet. I get it, he's the boss. But there has been little to show me that Coyle has had any hand in the decision or communications, this all seems to be coming from Kaler through Coyle.

Well, except for where Coyle lied about it being TC's decision to hand out the suspensions, and then changed it to he consulted with TC - both of which TC denied. Coyle has absolutely no clue how to handle these situations - it has been proven here. I agree he is Kaler's puppet and he clearly has no clue either. Shouldn't our top admins be able to defuse a situation like this instead of turning it into a CF and national sh1tstorm? This is embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Tom Webber will have Jon Krawczysnk on at 11am this morning to discuss 91.1 or mpr.org.

Sorry to quote myself but the conversation was really interesting. Krawczysnk explained what was happening behind the scenes with the players well for those not familiar with their "side of the story".

When bad things happen, good vs poor communication can make such a big difference. This was played about as poorly as it could have.

Actually the AP article quoted Hsu as saying, "we had nothing to give them". So the two regents weren't looking to be on a page.

Kaler and Coyle left talks with the players before 9 p.m. without an agreement and players prepared to skip the game. The players invited the regents in, according to three people who were there, and a marathon discussion lasted until dawn.

"We weren't negotiating," Hsu said. "We had nothing to give them. We were only there to talk to them, help understand them, help them understand us, the university, us as regents. Help them think through the ramifications."

Would not be members of BoR position to negotiate or have something to offer, but more to hear both sides of the situation. The fact that they talked as long as they did with the team, that BoR Chair has publicly stated his concern with lack of due process, and that the BoR has been pretty much silent on Kaler and Coyle...feels like the other shoe is getting ready.

Top Bottom