Anyone got a live chicken?

Otis

Reaction score
Wow! Another off the court incident for the University basketball team. We need a witch doctor and an exorcist to cure this program of its propensity of making serious mistakes. Here are some of the head scratchers:

Gophers vs. Ohio State fight.
Mychal Thompson and buds sell tickets for cash. Best Gopher team of all time ineligible.
Mitch and crew 5 way with a Badger co-ed. Get cleared in court. If only there had been cell phones. "Iron 5" did make us proud though.
Gangelhoff exposes Gopher cheating scandal the day before the tournament. Gophers have to play with short bench and all gopher victories vacated back through the Final Four team. Investigation unveils Bobby Jackson's tainted Junior college transcripts.
Era between Clem and Tubby - Dark ages of Gopher basketball where I can remember almost nothing. Humphries, Rickert, Pryzbilla all leave early.
Al Nolan gets suspended for grades and #10 Gophers go belly up for the rest of the season.
Royce White is accused of stealing a laptop and charged with shoplifting. Never plays for the team.
Transfers, transfers, transfers.
Mbawkwe is accused of hitting a woman.
McNeil abuses his Girlfriend.
Lofton dismissed from team.
Martin transfers.
JJ not medically cleared.
Morris dismissed.
Sex video.............

Look at our history! How can you blame it on a particular coach? Even Dutcher wasn't immune to players running amok. There is something that causes this type of behavior which goes deeper than the coach and the leadership of the university. I'm not even mentioning the Football teams problems! Why don't we hear as much about the Hockey and Wrestling teams?

Just venting, but saying there is a current loss of institutional control is ignoring history.

I'd wager that 90% of D1 programs have just as much garbage (or more) going on over the course of their histories.

I think you're missing quite a few:

Todd Alexander kicked off for stealing credit cards and boom boxes from a store (Google boom boxes for the under 25 crowd)
Mitch Ohnstad kicked off for driving with marijuana in the car
Courtney James throws a phone book at his girlfriend after he hears Shaq calling her for a booty call
Charles Thomas kicked off for reportedly exposing himself at a party
Jimmy Williams not being able to get hired in 2007 for recruiting issues from the 70s, despite the fact that he was allowed to be the interim HC much closer to the era in which he was associated
Saul Smith getting a DUI while an assistant at the U

I know I'm missing quite a few more. The adventurous part of being a Gopher fan is we're always a couple of days away from the next scandal.

Go Gophers!!

I'd wager that 90% of D1 programs have just as much garbage (or more) going on over the course of their histories.

While the results (on court outcomes and discipline) are completely different, north Carolinas transgressions are arguably worse than the sum of these incidences.

How can we not include Mega Tongue and to a lesser extent, Mike Ellis who oversaw the hoops program.

Go Gophers!!

Wow! Another off the court incident for the University basketball team. We need a witch doctor and an exorcist to cure this program of its propensity of making serious mistakes. Here are some of the head scratchers:

Gophers vs. Ohio State fight.
Mychal Thompson and buds sell tickets for cash. Best Gopher team of all time ineligible.
Mitch and crew 5 way with a Badger co-ed. Get cleared in court. If only there had been cell phones. "Iron 5" did make us proud though.
Gangelhoff exposes Gopher cheating scandal the day before the tournament. Gophers have to play with short bench and all gopher victories vacated back through the Final Four team. Investigation unveils Bobby Jackson's tainted Junior college transcripts.
Era between Clem and Tubby - Dark ages of Gopher basketball where I can remember almost nothing. Humphries, Rickert, Pryzbilla all leave early.
Al Nolan gets suspended for grades and #10 Gophers go belly up for the rest of the season.

Royce White is accused of stealing a laptop and charged with shoplifting. Never plays for the team.
Transfers, transfers, transfers.
Mbawkwe is accused of hitting a woman.
McNeil abuses his Girlfriend.
Lofton dismissed from team.
Martin transfers.
JJ not medically cleared.
Morris dismissed.
Sex video.............

Look at our history! How can you blame it on a particular coach? Even Dutcher wasn't immune to players running amok. There is something that causes this type of behavior which goes deeper than the coach and the leadership of the university. I'm not even mentioning the Football teams problems! Why don't we hear as much about the Hockey and Wrestling teams?

Just venting, but saying there is a current loss of institutional control is ignoring history.

Al Nolen got hurt when they lost the rest of the games that year. I'm not saying he wasn't suspended at a different time....but when they lost out, it was when he got hurt.

Missed a few...

* 1975: The university admitted it had violated 111 NCAA rules. One official said 78 violations included "promises or delivery of money, goods and services ranging from $5 to thousands" of dollars.

* 1982: Mark Hall, a senior guard, quit the team after it was discovered he had been caught billing $970 in long-distance phone calls to university phone numbers.

* 1984: Todd Alexander, a starting guard, was charged with two different misdemeanors. In the first one, he was accused of using a bank card he found to obtain $190 in cash. The other charge concerned his failure to return some lost property (a student's stereo).

Oh, and I'll throw Chris Webber into the mix too.

"Era between Clem and Tubby - Dark ages of Gopher basketball where I can remember almost nothing."

Too bad. You are forgetting the two best legitimate Big Ten records (10-6 in 2004-05 and 9-7 in 2001-02) since 1990.

Monson took over a mess and ran a clean program. He had middling success and a couple awful years.

He was not a bad coach- Gophers and Gopher fans had higher standards back then- the final four team, legitimate or not, really created expectations that Monson would keep the team an upper echelon Big Ten team. He didn't and that cost him.

"Era between Clem and Tubby - Dark ages of Gopher basketball where I can remember almost nothing."

Too bad. You are forgetting the two best legitimate Big Ten records (10-6 in 2004-05 and 9-7 in 2001-02) since 1990.

Monson took over a mess and ran a clean program. He had middling success and a couple awful years.

He was not a bad coach- Gophers and Gopher fans had higher standards back then- the final four team, legitimate or not, really created expectations that Monson would keep the team an upper echelon Big Ten team. He didn't and that cost him.

I spent most of these years in the Persian Gulf, so they were dark mostly for me.

I think you're missing quite a few:

Todd Alexander kicked off for stealing credit cards and boom boxes from a store (Google boom boxes for the under 25 crowd)
Mitch Ohnstad kicked off for driving with marijuana in the car
Courtney James throws a phone book at his girlfriend after he hears Shaq calling her for a booty call
Charles Thomas kicked off for reportedly exposing himself at a party
Jimmy Williams not being able to get hired in 2007 for recruiting issues from the 70s, despite the fact that he was allowed to be the interim HC much closer to the era in which he was associated
Saul Smith getting a DUI while an assistant at the U

I know I'm missing quite a few more. The adventurous part of being a Gopher fan is we're always a couple of days away from the next scandal.

Go Gophers!!

That one's a new one on me. Now I know.

The part about always being only a few days away from a scandal: it's funny because it's true. It's like the weather around here (if you don't like it, just wait a few hours).

Meanwhile, Wisconsin is having arguably their worst season since before Bo Ryan and is currently tied for 2nd in the Big Ten...

Bad luck and trouble, two of my best friends...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed a few...

* 1975: The university admitted it had violated 111 NCAA rules. One official said 78 violations included "promises or delivery of money, goods and services ranging from $5 to thousands" of dollars.

* 1982: Mark Hall, a senior guard, quit the team after it was discovered he had been caught billing $970 in long-distance phone calls to university phone numbers.

* 1984: Todd Alexander, a starting guard, was charged with two different misdemeanors. In the first one, he was accused of using a bank card he found to obtain $190 in cash. The other charge concerned his failure to return some lost property (a student's stereo).

alexander mentioned above. i think he transferred to smu after we booted him.

For all our scandal you would think we would win more. Instead the program is hot garbage on and off the court. Son of a b!tch!!!!!

We should get our new AD from North Carolina.

Top Bottom