Anyone else nervouse with "Big Basket of Plays" quote from Fisch?

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
I'm usually all in favor of offering multiple look's or multiple personel groupings but
I alway's get nervous when I hear a coach say were going to have a lot of "plays". The simple thing would be to say were going to get Decker, Duanne Bennet and Brandon Green the ball and get Weber moving and go from there. I'm hoping the big bag of plays comment was just excitement or exuberance.
We're really going to fool them with how smart we are, get's the nerves going about stalled offensive drives and the defense on the field a lot. Or the we're going to play a lot of people and really cross them up. Reminds me a little to much of Dunbar.
"Big basket of plays" can some times mean trouble especially when your talent grouping is young
or inexperienced. Hopefully he look's at film of Weber and can get him to not lock in on Decker. Decker is a good playmaker
but sometimes there is a check down that is even more open then forcing him the ball. Oh well nervous to soon I guess. Hopefully
the new guy Fisch is good. If Manning wanted him as a QB coach that must be a good thing.

I'm usually all in favor of offering multiple look's or multiple personel groupings but
I alway's get nervous when I hear a coach say were going to have a lot of "plays". The simple thing would be to say were going to get Decker, Duanne Bennet and Brandon Green the ball and get Weber moving and go from there. I'm hoping the big bag of plays comment was just excitement or exuberance.
We're really going to fool them with how smart we are, get's the nerves going about stalled offensive drives and the defense on the field a lot. Or the were going to play a lot of people and really cross them up. Reminds me of Dunbar.
"Big basket of plays" can some times mean trouble especially when your talent grouping is young
or inexperienced. I was hoping he would watch film of Bowling Green or the Purdue game or Ohio State and say were going to run plays that put our playmakers in a position to make explosive plays. A lot of times you can see a coach game plan with just 15 plays or even call three to four set's and you can see success. It's not just having a "big bag of plays" and being creatice it is finding what is working well and then hammering the needle. Kind of like the old coach saying "The belly is like novacaine" Keep giving it to them. Call it until they prove they can stop it. Here is hoping they are not filling the QB's head full of to much gook and just let the athletes take over at times. Keep it simple stupid is not always a bad thing. Oh well, Big bag of plays if you can hit them with it can work too, if the players execute.

Not at all! Watch the product that is put on the field it will be refreshing to see. Don't try to read so far into each quote like he is the treasury secretary

Most coaches Bristle at the thought of being pegged a certain style offense. They'll usually respond with an "I don't really know what that means" response when posed with the 'style' question. Dunbar fought it, they all fight it. To me this response was just another attempt at saying what they all mean to say, "we run the plays that put us in the best chance to win" kind of response.

so what style are they going to play? None, they'll use the play they think will be most effective at the time, in fisch's words, a big basket of plays. And they'll gravitate towards the plays that have proven most effective showing some tendencies that some pundit will label as something vaguely related to one 'style' or another.

So in short, the response doesn't worry me at all. The lack of coordinating experience, that makes me a little nervous. But generally this hire was pretty much in line with what I expected.

Top Bottom