Anybody worried about recruiting?

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
It seems that when we were on a roll (7-1), if Brew was getting the recruits on campus, they would commit. This latest batch of important recruits (Lewan, etc) had to witness the debacle vs. Iowa and we've now lost 4 in a row. We haven't gotten any verbals from that group (outside of Robinson) and I'm getting a little antsy....anybody else?

I am not to worried, it is still pretty early and the verbal commitment doesn't mean that much this early anyways. A lot of these kids still have official visits to take and quite a few of the kids want to take all of their visits to make the best informed decision. Plus, there are always those last minute flip flops that seem to occur prior to signing day(i.e. Keanon Cooper switching to us from Texas Tech at the last moment).

I think the last wave of guys are all very highly-recruited and that is going to take awhile for the dust to settle. If Lewan was at the Michigan or Iowa game (I can't remember which), he must realize that he'd have a chance at being a four-year starter (perhaps after a redshirt year).

Quite the contrary

And with Tim Davis replacing Phil Meyer, that is a huge upgrade for recruiting.

How many of the guys we still want are playing in the all star games and may be making an anouncement at the game.

No, I'm OK with it. being so near the 85 cap I think Brews being a little selective. I'd rather he comes up a couple short this year than just fill slots. Plus I think he has a few guys on hold anyway.

How many of the guys we still want are playing in the all star games and may be making an anouncement at the game.

Off the top of my head...

Army All America:
BrYce McNeal
Michael Carter
Sheldon Richardson

UnderArmour:
Taylor Lewan

Plus, already committed playing in UA
Ra'Shede Hageman
Moses Alipate

It seems that when we were on a roll (7-1), if Brew was getting the recruits on campus, they would commit. This latest batch of important recruits (Lewan, etc) had to witness the debacle vs. Iowa and we've now lost 4 in a row. We haven't gotten any verbals from that group (outside of Robinson) and I'm getting a little antsy....anybody else?

according to scout.com only 5 guys visited during the Iowa game, and 2 of them were soft verbals to Indiana. Dakotah Tyler also visited, I'm not sure if we offered him a scholarship though.
The previous visitors were way back when we played Michigan. Richardson, McNeal, and Carter were in the group, I think its safe to say we have a good shot with McNeal and Carter at least. As was Equae who was allready a colorado verbal and Singleton who was a south carolina verbal. Hageman, Garin, and Searcy verballed. Battle likely would have had the coaches let him.
So no I am not worried, another group comes in a couple weeks for a visit.

I predict Richardson, McNeal, Lewan, and Carter all are Golden at their respective all-star games. You heard it here first!

It looks like Coach Ronnie Lee made a Detroit visit to Gainer and Watkins yesterday.

I predict in the end we end up with McNeal, Lewan, Carter, Gainer and Watkins.

If we get either Richardson or Wingo, i'll crap myself.

^ You forgot about Bryant Allen the WR from St. Louis too, he good

I'm still waiting to see how good the current players from the 2008 recruiting class will be. 2007 & 2006 as well. And how many will remain as Gophers.

When the 09 class is announced, then I take notice.

So what do you expect? What insight are you hoping for Fugly Pete? Someone to actually state who will sign LOI in Feb 09 or will verbal tomorrow?

There is no guarantee that any given current verbal will actually become a Gopher. This is all a bunch of guess work, speculation and nothing more than a Santa's Wish List.

Truthfully, I am Really Really Seriously Concerned

I am truly concerned that we will not have enough schollies to go around for all the great recruits we are in on. We are going to run out of preferred walk-on slots!!

For those that are higher echelon recruits, they are probably wanting to make sure they are thorough in researching their options. Richardson, Gainer and Watkins committed early and now have second thoughts which makes them soft verbals who probably will decommit and commit elsewhere.

Basically, though I want the commit ASAP, at the same time I am learning to not freak out one way or another when a player waits. He is probably just wanting to see what is his best option and is comfortable with the commit. More early commits go from solid to soft verbal then later commits.

You gotta love his source....."I read a poster on here that said...."
You also gotta love the guy who says "I'd make him sign his LOI early. They do that in some case you know..." Oh really? The value of a Michigan education showing through.

McNeal

Any thoughts on this Michigan board topic?:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019&t=3523451

You can't believe everything that you read. It is highly unlikely that he ends up at Michigan.

The only legitimate update I've heard is from him tellling ESPN last week, after missing his official visit to PSU (for the MSU game) due to a death in the family, that he wasn't sure if he would still make an official visit and that he had narrowed it down to two schools but he didn't elaborate. That gives no color on Michigan but I read one interview where his mom said Michigan was virtually eliminated and one where McNeal said they aren't necessarily eliminated. I also read one when he decommitted where ESPN said it was going to be tough to get him to leave the state and other reports prior to his original commitment that said he would like leave the state. Maybe he had a change of heart and the new stuff is true but there is enough conflicting reports on him that it is hard to tell what is the truth.

Way to go Michigan...

You gotta love his source....."I read a poster on here that said...."
You also gotta love the guy who says "I'd make him sign his LOI early. They do that in some case you know..." Oh really? The value of a Michigan education showing through.

Agreed. I loved that it came from someone with the name MichiganLaw. Gosh, I wonder why every team takes a verbal when they could just be getting a signature the whole time.

How is it that nobody else on the board corrected the guy either? I'd like to think our board would correct the bad info.

For those that are higher echelon recruits, they are probably wanting to make sure they are thorough in researching their options. Richardson, Gainer and Watkins committed early and now have second thoughts which makes them soft verbals who probably will decommit and commit elsewhere.

Basically, though I want the commit ASAP, at the same time I am learning to not freak out one way or another when a player waits. He is probably just wanting to see what is his best option and is comfortable with the commit. More early commits go from solid to soft verbal then later commits.

I would not say that Richardson is probably going to commit to anywhere other then Mizzou, but I could be wrong.

I would guess that a lot of highly-recruited guys give a soft verbal to turn down the volume on the recruiting noise. They're still going to get calls, but the recruit is going to have more control of things.

I would not say that Richardson is probably going to commit to anywhere other then Mizzou, but I could be wrong.

I would agree, but he went from a solid to soft if I am not mistaken. Also, I suspect soft verbals rachet up the recruiting since schools would get the message they are losing out and need to step up the effort.

D linemen

Besides Searcy, Garin, and the longshot of Richardson, any other defensive linemen to watch for in this class?

Top Bottom