Any News on Recruiting??

upnorthkid

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times on other threads but seeing how the season ended has me fired up for next year in hopes that we can continue turning the corner, even if it is going to be a long long corner.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new in terms of the commits we have coming in staying solid on their commitments or if there were any new ones that were looking like they were going to sign with us?

I was also wondering what you all thought would be a good direction for Coach Kill to head in trying to secure some last minute extra commits. I see that we seem to have a solid stable of athletic DBs coming in as well as speed and versatility in terms of athletes which I really like. One thing I think that this team is sorely missing is a game changing type of pass rusher off the edge. Any possibility we could land a true difference maker on the outside this late in the game?

I know this has been discussed many times on other threads but seeing how the season ended has me fired up for next year in hopes that we can continue turning the corner, even if it is going to be a long long corner.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new in terms of the commits we have coming in staying solid on their commitments or if there were any new ones that were looking like they were going to sign with us?

I was also wondering what you all thought would be a good direction for Coach Kill to head in trying to secure some last minute extra commits. I see that we seem to have a solid stable of athletic DBs coming in as well as speed and versatility in terms of athletes which I really like. One thing I think that this team is sorely missing is a game changing type of pass rusher off the edge. Any possibility we could land a true difference maker on the outside this late in the game?
They had a DE redshirt this year that apparently is a freak athlete.

MN is not going to get a true freshman game changer. That doesn't happen at a program at our level. Better off focusing on the kids that red-shirted or are already in the program.

MN is not going to get a true freshman game changer. That doesn't happen at a program at our level. Better off focusing on the kids that red-shirted or are already in the program.

I think Hayes could probably come in and start at center right away. But he won't...and shouldn't

On a side note, got to catch up with a buddy of mine who coached a team that played against Mankato West and Waconia. Said Nelson has complete control of the game. Was always able to make the correct pre-snap read and get the right play called. Also said he can move and can make throws on the run. Williams is apparently a beast - toughest kid they played against all year, though a touch injury prone as a result of them running him every play.

These aren't necessarily new insights, just some comments from someone who knows his stuff.

I think the threat for Harbison is from the new staff at UNC, hopefully the threat of sanctions form the NCAA will help keep him. Don't know if Vandy's receiver coach leaving for Illinois will impact that threat or create a new one. I could be wrong, but at least one source said the main issue with Moss was qualifying. Don't know if that is true, but we need safety's that can play next year, at least as backups, so I hope we keep him.
You should also assume there is a lot of stuff in play with kids that we have heard little about, not necessarily really highly ranked kids, but kids they like as athletes due to all of the coaching changes. It is hard to know what is happening with this staff because the staff follow the rules and do not blab information to the recruiting sites like tha last staff did.

Theiren Cockran is the one I believe you're referring to. From what I've read, it sounds like Kill is expecting big things from him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/f...kran-114014;_ylt=Ant1jEpstV1McfJneujClWfPspB4

One of the more ridiculous recruiting profile pictures of all-time:

202283.jpg

You should also assume there is a lot of stuff in play with kids that we have heard little about, not necessarily really highly ranked kids, but kids they like as athletes due to all of the coaching changes. It is hard to know what is happening with this staff because the staff follow the rules and do not blab information to the recruiting sites like tha last staff did.
Based on testing results alone, I could see them offering this DT: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/144440/joseph-phillips

If those stats are even close to true, absolutely freakish.

Nonsense, one of the best ones out there, no question about it.

I never said it was bad, I said it was ridiculous. I don't think there's any debate that everything about that picture (the tie, the unkempt position of the tie, the crappy windbreaker jacket, the half-assed positioning of the jacket, the close-but-not-quite-exact "matching" of the tie and jacket, the stare, the wry half-smile, the $5 button-down collar shirt, the background which appears to be a loading dock at a Wal-Mart or a Southern megachurch with some sort of umbrella) is ridiculous. I don't think that picture could be more random if it tried.

I never said it was bad, I said it was ridiculous. I don't think there's any debate that everything about that picture (the tie, the unkempt position of the tie, the crappy windbreaker jacket, the half-assed positioning of the jacket, the close-but-not-quite-exact "matching" of the tie and jacket, the stare, the wry half-smile, the $5 button-down collar shirt, the background which appears to be a loading dock at a Wal-Mart or a Southern megachurch with some sort of umbrella) is ridiculous. I don't think that picture could be more random if it tried.

Haha, okay agreed, I wouldn't use the word ridiculous, but it is somethin else. But I love it anyway. At least he keeps his 'fro nice and tight tho lol

I love that photo, hilarious.

It will be interesting to see how the redshirted kids impact next season.
From spring practice I noticed Cockran has a very impressive frame on him, he just needs to fill it out. If his speed is good as Kill said it was earlier in the year, he's got some great tools to develop at the DE position.

I wasn't necessarily meaning a true freshman who's going to come in and dominate. I just meant for the future as our pass rush has been abysmal for quite a few years. And game changers can happen anywhere at any time and I'm not expecting Kill to sign someone who's a flashy 5-star prospect either. Its not like Baylor was a real star studded program before bringing in RG3. And most likely they'll go back to where they were before he came as well. I was just interested at the potential prospects still available who could potentially be swayed to come here.

Given that he got a scout grade of 69, either he has one arm or they are not true.

My hometown is the next town over from Washington, PA and I still follow WPIAL football closely. I have not heard of this kid before, and those measurables are definitely not accurate.

But imagine if a 6'2 270 kid ran a legitimate 4.6. Would be an absolute freak.

Top Bottom