Any NBA talent on this team?

If you're asking who could get drafted this year I don't think anyone at this point.

I could see Coffey realistically in 4 years of college play.

Murph could, but he's an undersized NBA PF and would need to prove he has a jump shot in my opinion.

Reggie would need to assemble a stronger offensive portfolio and limit personal fouls.

Now Nate is an interesting one, but I think he needs to pull off what he did against Purdue consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey. I don't think he needs 4 years either. If he gets stronger and has a big year next year, he could be gone.
Curry might be interesting. He's bigger than Murphy but still a bit undersized for a NBA PF. He might get a chance if his outside shot continues to improve.
Pretty much everyone else is a tweener. Good to great college basketball players but would likely struggle to find a position at the next level.

I could see Coffey making a mistake by leaving early.

Coffey. I don't think he needs 4 years either. If he gets stronger and has a big year next year, he could be gone.
Curry might be interesting. He's bigger than Murphy but still a bit undersized for a NBA PF. He might get a chance if his outside shot continues to improve.
Pretty much everyone else is a tweener. Good to great college basketball players but would likely struggle to find a position at the next level.

Agree on Coffey. I can see him leaving after his soph year.

I think if Nate continues to play well the next 1.5 years, he'll definitely have a shot at possibly being a late second rounder. He isn't an explosive athlete, but he is definitely quick enough and he does alot of other things well. If he didn't get drafted in the second round, I could see him getting a summer league invite.

Amir definitely has a shot as well. Needs to improve his shooting and handles, but he has NBA size already.

Unfortunately for Murph, he is just to small to be an NBA PF. He'll definitely play in Europe if he wants to go that route.

Same for Lynch and Curry, both will likely be able to play professionally in Europe.

Dupree is a wildcard. He certainly has the quickness and athleticism he just needs to continue to work on his body and continue to shoot the ball consistently.

I doubt anyone has a chance, Coffey would really have to improve his shooting to get a shot, maybe Curry down the road if he develops.

Dupree is a wildcard. He certainly has the quickness and athleticism he just needs to continue to work on his body and continue to shoot the ball consistently.

I think Dupree knows that his only shot at the league is a PG...he needs to keep working on his handle, creating his own shot and finishing at the rim.

If you're asking who could get drafted this year I don't think anyone at this point.

Thanks for clarifying... I just mean in general. Not this year necessarily.

Coffey has the body type and the skill set. He obviously needs to get stronger and improve as a shooter. He's a good athlete but quite honestly he'd be a below average NBA athlete at the 3 but possibly above average skill wise. Don't really see anyone else. Mason I suppose good get so productive he gets a shot but there aren't many guys in the league with his size and skill set that aren't also phenomenal athletes. Maybe Patty Mills? Tyus was by all counts a better player and he's struggling to see the court

A little off topic, but I do see our entire starting five getting pro contracts around the world. I also think it's plausible if Springs plays well this year and bakary play well they could play pro internationally.

Right now this team is looking like a team instead of a collection of pro prospects and that's a beautiful thing. Depending on how far the team goes over the next few years Coffey, McBrayer and Mason will all draw some NBA notice, as will Curry down the line.

Coffey is the obvious answer here. He has the size/athletic ability in addition to ball handling skills necessary for the next level. In the current NBA climate he will need to show he can consistently step out and hit the 3. If he develops that part of his game I see no reason why he couldn't compete at the NBA level.

Curry is interesting I think he is raw and doesn't maybe have the speed of Coffey but he is already a pretty solid body for a frosh and has shown more of an outside game than I would have given him credit for. Flashed some impressive low post moves against Purdue late. He has a longer way to go than Amir but I think these two players are the ones with the highest ceilings and those ceilings both exist in the NBA.

Mason is the only other one I can see having a legit shot at the NBA right now. He is just so explosive off the dribble and both his shot and court vision have steadily improved over his tenure here. His ability to create for himself is a huge plus and he has shown a diversity of shots in his arsenal that will have people interested even he is maybe a touch undersized for the NBA.

Dupree and Lynch I think are D-League and Euro talent.

I could see Coffey realistically in 4 years of college play.

Murph could, but he's an undersized NBA PF and would need to prove he has a jump shot in my opinion.

Reggie would need to assemble a stronger offensive portfolio and limit personal fouls.

Now Nate is an interesting one, but I think he needs to pull off what he did against Purdue consistently.

Pretty good assessment of the players at this point in their careers. Murphy is about the same size as Jared Dudley who has carved out a pretty fair NBA career, but, as you imply, Dudley developed a good outside shot even while still a collegian and is more dangerous from the outside than inside in the pros. Murphy might be a better athlete than Dudley but isn't nearly as good of a shooter as Dudley even as a collegian. Charles Barkley wasn't any taller than Murphy and, like Barkley, as Bill Russell once said, Murphy jumps "quick rather than high."

I agree that Coffey doesn't look like an NBA prospect at this point in his career. Maybe he will after four years, but, if that's the case, the problem is that the NBA draft doesn't value four year seniors very highly. Mason wouldn't seem likely but, despite a bumper crop of point guards expected in this year's draft, good point guards are harder to find in the pros than they were about five years ago.

It will be interesting to see how Curry develops. He may not have entered college with the same ratings as Coffey, but he has shown a lot of toughness (despite a slender frame) and quickness. He has been a good free throw shooter and has surprised on occasion with his outside shooting. If he keeps developing, he might have a chance as a combo forward, especially if he acquires a reputation as a good defender.

Right now this team is looking like a team instead of a collection of pro prospects and that's a beautiful thing.

Very true. Right now they have seven pretty decent-to-pretty-darn-good players which may be more than most teams have, but they don't have any single stat stuffer (other than Lynch's blocks perhaps) or "wow" athlete.

I think Lynch has a shot to make his way onto an NBA roster as a backup because of his defense.

NBA potential

Who has a shot?

NBA scouts have two major questions. Does a player have a NBA skill? Can the player guard a position.

1. Coffey, 6-8 195 lbs, could be a solid NBA SF in a 4-5 years. He will be 20 lbs heavier and will have developed a decent 3pt shot by then is my guess. He will be an average athlete but highly skilled. Think Gordon Hayward. 1. Skill would be bh and passing. 2. He could guard some wings.

2. Lynch, 6-10 260lbs, could be a backup center/PF. He has NBA shot blocking skills. Anyone notice that Purdue's Swanigan is listed at 250 to Lynch's 260 but looks 20 lbs heavier than he does??

3. McBrayer 6-5 190lbs. If he is in fact 6-5, he could easily play SG in today's NBA. There are tons of players 6-5 and under playing the two at times. NBA skills could be defense, could be shooting. Needs to improve toughness and rebounding.

4. Murhpy is probably 6-6 235lbs. He has very little lateral quickness and he cannot guard sf's. He is the classic tweener who tries out for TE in the NFL. You can mention Barkley but I can give you 10 guys for every Barkley that could play the 4 in college who couldn't make it in the pro's.

5. Nate is a super solid college pg. He doesn't have great athleticism. He is a heady pg like Tyus, and maybe a better shooter, but he will struggle to defend at the NBA level.

6. Curry has some potential. An athletic 6-9 guy who can hit mid range jumpers. Has good toughness and decent basketball IQ. There are 100 of these types in college right now and who knows which will keep improving.

I could see Coffey making a mistake by leaving early.

Little incentive for him to leave early. He's financially stable, and locally set up for success.

He will leave when he's ready. Could be next year, could be later.

NBA scouts have two major questions. Does a player have a NBA skill? Can the player guard a position.

1. Coffey, 6-8 195 lbs, could be a solid NBA SF in a 4-5 years. He will be 20 lbs heavier and will have developed a decent 3pt shot by then is my guess. He will be an average athlete but highly skilled. Think Gordon Hayward. 1. Skill would be bh and passing. 2. He could guard some wings.

2. Lynch, 6-10 260lbs, could be a backup center/PF. He has NBA shot blocking skills. Anyone notice that Purdue's Swanigan is listed at 250 to Lynch's 260 but looks 20 lbs heavier than he does??

3. McBrayer 6-5 190lbs. If he is in fact 6-5, he could easily play SG in today's NBA. There are tons of players 6-5 and under playing the two at times. NBA skills could be defense, could be shooting. Needs to improve toughness and rebounding.

4. Murhpy is probably 6-6 235lbs. He has very little lateral quickness and he cannot guard sf's. He is the classic tweener who tries out for TE in the NFL. You can mention Barkley but I can give you 10 guys for every Barkley that could play the 4 in college who couldn't make it in the pro's.

5. Nate is a super solid college pg. He doesn't have great athleticism. He is a heady pg like Tyus, and maybe a better shooter, but he will struggle to defend at the NBA level.

6. Curry has some potential. An athletic 6-9 guy who can hit mid range jumpers. Has good toughness and decent basketball IQ. There are 100 of these types in college right now and who knows which will keep improving.

Awesome... thank you.

Actually, there are three questions. The two you mention and the third being whether the player has NBA level athleticism, although that does correlate to some degree with ability to guard. The third dimension plus mediocre shooting are what have kept former college player of the year, Evan Turner, from becoming a high level NBA player. He certainly has high level skills in some areas but his lack of athleticism hurts him on both ends of the floor.

Pretty good assessment of the players at this point in their careers. Murphy is about the same size as Jared Dudley who has carved out a pretty fair NBA career, but, as you imply, Dudley developed a good outside shot even while still a collegian and is more dangerous from the outside than inside in the pros. Murphy might be a better athlete than Dudley but isn't nearly as good of a shooter as Dudley even as a collegian. Charles Barkley wasn't any taller than Murphy and, like Barkley, as Bill Russell once said, Murphy jumps "quick rather than high."

I agree that Coffey doesn't look like an NBA prospect at this point in his career. Maybe he will after four years, but, if that's the case, the problem is that the NBA draft doesn't value four year seniors very highly. Mason wouldn't seem likely but, despite a bumper crop of point guards expected in this year's draft, good point guards are harder to find in the pros than they were about five years ago.

It will be interesting to see how Curry develops. He may not have entered college with the same ratings as Coffey, but he has shown a lot of toughness (despite a slender frame) and quickness. He has been a good free throw shooter and has surprised on occasion with his outside shooting. If he keeps developing, he might have a chance as a combo forward, especially if he acquires a reputation as a good defender.

Yes I agree with what you're saying about Curry. He could look like a Wiggins from a build/style of play.

Very true. Right now they have seven pretty decent-to-pretty-darn-good players which may be more than most teams have, but they don't have any single stat stuffer (other than Lynch's blocks perhaps) or "wow" athlete.

Nate Mason is actually 8th in the Big Ten in 3pt% right now at 43.9%, which is very good, but probably not amazing.

Based on what anyone has shown so far, no.

Coffey could NBA talent.

I can see McBreyer as one of those elevator players:

Back & forth between the NBA and D-League.

Then at about 25 or 26 he sticks as a bench guy in the Association.

The player with the most NBA potential is Curry. Coffey also has a shot. Mason, McBrayer, Lynch and Murphy might make six figures in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. Nate could if he continues to show the fearless offense he did Sunday. Curry does have the very unpredictable upside, he could end up somewhat above average over four years, or off the charts in athleticism and growth in skill level over four years.

Top Bottom