Any more reasons

#93fanclub

Reaction score
why we shouldn't give Gray the chance to run the offense? I am tired of hearing "Oh, he might throw an interception." Weber hasn't found Decker the last two games.

why we shouldn't give Gray the chance to run the offense? I am tired of hearing "Oh, he might throw an interception." Weber hasn't found Decker the last two games.

Weber essentially never gets a chance to set and pass, he is always rolling out or scrambling. Until our offense line can give him some protection (or Gray) this is the way it will be.

Weber essentially never gets a chance to set and pass, he is always rolling out or scrambling. Until our offense line can give him some protection (or Gray) this is the way it will be.

Thought, in general, the pass pro was pretty decent today. Weber had some time to set and throw.

I really don't know what the solution is, to be honest. It's hard to find reasons why Gray isn't seeing the field more, but clearly the coaches have their reasons.

Is it really all the offensive line or having no time?

I'm not advocating benching first, but if he continues to play this poorly there is no choice. Eventually the players will check out on the QB and start looking for the other guy. The QB drives the car and if his play is poor the whole offense suffers from it. It is not just the offensive line and the backs, Weber is also leaving plays on the field. More than one announcer and commentator on TV has made this call.
If you DVR'd the game watch some of it back, Weber did have some time, on multiple occasions. He never released the ball when the open players came out of there breaks. Even on the interception where he tried to get it to Tow-Arnett, If he is throwing that ball before Tow-Arnett comes out of his break when it should have been thrown, that was going to be the open read, instead of locking in and then oh throw it there after the fact, that would not have been an interception. He is his own enemy at times not just the offensive line play, when they do give the QB time he holds it, holds it, holds it, holds it and does not make a decision where to throw to or to take off and run, panics and then heeves the ball where he last saw Decker. When have you seen the ball thrown to an open receiver, end or back where the ball was delievered, before they made there break or about when the play is starting to develop even on a screen? The ball has been far to delayed and late this season. The O-line play is not what anyone would hope for, but there are times they are giving the QB time, he did have some pass protection today and indecision rules the day. Call it like it is, the QB play has not been good this season either. This season hasn't just been play calling,
offensive line play or the RB's, the chemistry seems bad and the QB play has been less than what you would expect from a fourth year junior and captain. They, the Gophers need and have to have better QB play. Without it, this is not a competitive team. Weber has it in him to be decent, and
make plays.

While I don't think the keys to the offense should be given to Gray, I expect Brewster to get him in for a series when he can. He missed an opportunity in the PU game when he should have been in the series that Weber through the interception on when we were up 3 scores. And I was looking for Gray to get in when we took possession at the 4:00 minute mark of the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach.

Let's hope he see's time against SDSU. If not, it better be because Weber throws for 300 yards against OSU -- otherwise we really have to look at Brewster's coaching decisions or he better reveal why (and that's a stretch considering how bad Weber is playing).

Any more reasons?

This isn't the year for Gray. His year to compete for the starting job is next year. The whole offense is stuggling right now and these aren't the conditioins you want to have while Gray is trying to get comfortable in the offense. See T Pryor for a good illustration of this. I think every QB, college or pro, should sit at least one year and learn while watching. As painful as it is to see Adam struggling right now I think it is wise to stick with him.

I personally don't want to see Gray against tOSU. If Weber continues to play poorly, I would hope that Gray would get some real playing time against SDSU. To put Gray in against the Buckeye defense on the road would be a really poor idea for his first extended playing time.

It might be a poor idea, but I'm sure Gray would love any chance at all to play. And we certainly need to try something else, starting from the top (QB). To do the same thing over and over and expect a different result is Einstein's definition of insanity.

Gray will not start or get much playing time the entire season so you guys should just stop the argument now. If you really think Brewster is going to insert Gray into the lineup as a freshman when a bowl game is on the line and give him any type of meaningful playing time this season you are crazy....We aren't like Penn State where if we are up by 20 midway through the fourth quarter we can throw our backups in. What do you think that would say to a senior laden team to basically throw in the towel? Because that is what Brewster would be doing if he started Gray over Weber.

Plus Decker loves Weber, they are best friends and do you really think Brewster would ruin that chemistry? As far as I'm concerned the coaching staff simply does not trust Gray at all or they would have been playing him more by now. He clearly doesn't know the offense which is why he is limited to running straight up the middle from the wild cat.

I personally don't want to see Gray against tOSU. If Weber continues to play poorly, I would hope that Gray would get some real playing time against SDSU. To put Gray in against the Buckeye defense on the road would be a really poor idea for his first extended playing time.

Why? Kids that want to be the best want to play the best. Gray came to the U to play the Penn States and Ohio States. The OSU game is the perfect game to throw Gray into the pool and see if he can swim. Besides he can't play any worse than Ohio States QB (or our own) If he fumbles or throws picks he will just be matched by Pryor error for error.

You have it backwards

What do you think that would say to a senior laden team to basically throw in the towel? Because that is what Brewster would be doing if he started Gray over Weber.

Keeping Weber in is throwing in the towel, He sucks. Gray can salvage this season.

Keeping Weber in is throwing in the towel, He sucks. Gray can salvage this season.

ha HA HA HA what is your logic behind that one? Been watching Gopher practices? Like I said and I will say it again. Gray hasn't proven one thing to prove to me that he should be taking snaps. His one pass he made all season was vastly under-thrown and he didn't even see the wide open receiver that was right in front of his face. He's not ready. End of story. Wanna see a real freshman quarterback? Check out Barkley at USC

The only chance today against that D was three step drops

and gone. We needed quick hitters, and quick outs, speed options where Weber still runs, anything that involved a lot of time, a lot of play action, or time to develop today with our line was not going to work you could see that in the first half and if you watched Penn State before. Look at the play where Stommes lines up as tackle eligible with three WR's, we throw what appears to be a really well designed play, it was there, there was a lot of yardage to made there, but Stommes misses the block on the LB and he blows the play up. If you get a chip there and the throw is not high you still might make a play. There were two wide outs that broke open on that play where both the left tackle Alford(might have been Stommes), and the left Guard Bunders had Eskeridge 23 in behind them and not one of those guy's decides to take the DE How does that happen?They all parted the way without at least chipping, the back releases without even giving a sniff of chipping the D end, after inexplicably the tackle and the guard both peel off to block nobody in space. This was an unforced error of which there have been many this season but this one was glaring.

These are not only mental errors there errors that keep happening game after game this season. What is that definition about insanity again? How about the play where the right side of the line Wills and Carufel flat out caves Penn State's line into the middle yet, Eskeridge still follows the lead block into the line to the left instead of taking the lead from his offensive lineman and cutting it back to the right side where there were a ton of yards to be made. Something is missing on offense besides, just the line play and the mistakes, the chemistry sucks bad, between the backs and the lineman.
Where is the leadership on the field where, is it coming from if it is not coming from the QB. Even if he was houdini himself at escaping the sack what did he do with it? Hold, hold hold the ball and still nothing, he used to use his feet and make a play. Gray must be doing absolutely nothing or anything in practice that would indicate he should play because the whole offense including the QB this season has been sub-par from game one on. Weber get's hit a lot but he also is indecisive and not playing up to his ability. After Decker leaves Weber should strongly consider playing baseball again, maybe he has future as a pitcher in that sport. Guy does have an arm maybe he can make it in that game. Pro Football is not in his future. O-line does Weber no service but all and all the offense has been struggling all year. We are leaving a lot of plays on the field

ha HA HA HA what is your logic behind that one? Been watching Gopher practices? Like I said and I will say it again. Gray hasn't proven one thing to prove to me that he should be taking snaps. His one pass he made all season was vastly under-thrown and he didn't even see the wide open receiver that was right in front of his face. He's not ready. End of story. Wanna see a real freshman quarterback? Check out Barkley at USC
It was off target because he was flushed out of the pocket and had to throw on the run without squaring up. And as I recall it was very much the correct read if he could have connected.

It was off target because he was flushed out of the pocket and had to throw on the run without squaring up. And as I recall it was very much the correct read if he could have connected.

Which is what Weber has had to do game after game and the reason for not starting Gray. However, I do hope he sees the field more whether it's running the ball, catching it, etc.

This isn't the year for Gray. His year to compete for the starting job is next year. The whole offense is stuggling right now and these aren't the conditioins you want to have while Gray is trying to get comfortable in the offense. See T Pryor for a good illustration of this. I think every QB, college or pro, should sit at least one year and learn while watching. As painful as it is to see Adam struggling right now I think it is wise to stick with him.

I like your thinking here. I am one of the many who's wanted to see more of Gray, but this is a real good explanation why we're seeing Weber every series. To begin the season, I had fantasies of a 9-3 or 8-4 year. I have now come to grips with a 6-6 record.

Let's hope Gray is given a real shot at winning the position next year. We have not talked about Alipate much and his future. It would be great to hear from an insider (someone who knows what's going on in practice) how Alipate has been looking. Obviously we need to keep his red-shirt this year, but I wonder if he has any shot at the job next year.

In the Army All American game Gray was schooling everyone on the field, he looked like everybody else was playing in slow motion. Gray was ready to be the starting QB here when he gave his silent verbal. As for Alipate, He will have a nice Mike Maciejowski career.

In the Army All American game Gray was schooling everyone on the field, he looked like everybody else was playing in slow motion. Gray was ready to be the starting QB here when he gave his silent verbal. As for Alipate, He will have a nice Mike Maciejowski career.

I have only seen film of Alipate, but he looks like the real deal for a pro style quarterback. If he has a head to match, he could be pretty good when he gets his chance.

I just want Gray to start so I can stop reading threads with this topic.

Alipate needs to dramatically improve his accuracy before he will see the field. He does have all the physical tools - although at 260+ he is not the running QB he was earlier in his HS career.

My fear is that Gray is not anywhere near ready. Don't you think if he were even close to being ready he would be seeing more time? Especially the way Weber has played. If he can't get on the field for a series after the way Weber has played these last two games, then I don't hold out much hope for him playing much this year. There have been chances for him to play, up big late against Purdue, down big late against Penn St..

Top Bottom