Any help on ID'ing this?

I can't help, but it looks cool.

641828471.jpeg
https://twin-cities.umn.edu/gopher-athletics/goldy-gopher

11CUROUS102719.jpg

Last edited:

Not sure, but the"Gold Country" slogan was used in the early 70's... Tony Dungy, Rick Upchurch era.

This is a great piece. The "Gold Country" emblam is probably your biggest clue on when it was produced.

Mrs. Billd got me a glass tumbler for Christmas where apparently the decals appear to be put on backwards. The "dark" side faces to the inside while the "lighter" side faces to the outside. Some type of production error that is just an oddity for it.

As for the full list that STP put up, I've got two "Angry Gophers" items...one a plastic juice pitcher (about 1 foot tall) with his head on the side...and a second full running version on a large wool blanket. Given he only existed for one year after the "uproar," consider these to be top of my memorabilia collection.

Last edited:

This is a great piece. The "Gold Country" emblam is probably your biggest clue on when it was produced.

Mrs. Billd got me a glass tumbler for Christmas where apparently the decals appear to be put on backwards. The "dark" side faces to the inside while the "lighter" side faces to the outside. Some type of production error that is just an oddity for it.

As for the full list that STP put up, I've got two "Angry Gophers" items...one a plastic juice pitcher (about 1 foot tall) with his head on the side...and a second full running version on a large wool blanket. Given he only existed for one year after the "uproar," consider these to be top of my memorabilia collection.
So Minnesotan to have to redo the logo because Goldy looked to "mean". We wouldn't wanna try to intimidate our opponents in a negative manner, right? (truth be told, wasn't is changed after the whole Mitch Lee incident?)

So Minnesotan to have to redo the logo because Goldy looked to "mean". We wouldn't wanna try to intimidate our opponents in a negative manner, right? (truth be told, wasn't is changed after the whole Mitch Lee incident?)
This was before my time in Minnesota but looked up "Mitch Lee incident" and it didn't look good. I'd heard that alums thought the "mean Goldy" would scare kids or similar...

That 1979 gopher looks like something you'd see in a coloring book from the dollar store.

And, for what is's worth, the 70s Gopher from top half of post #4 is still my favorite. Lots of Hamm's bear vibes there.

My recollection is that it was the second Mitch Lee incident, which included two other Gophers (January 1986), that put the final nail in Angry Goldy's coffin. Lee had been acquitted of his first rape charge only 10 days earlier.

Top Bottom