Antoine Winfield Mentee Harrison Smith Knew Jr. 'Would be Baller'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Young:

Eight years ago, 14-year-old Antoine Winfield, Jr., sat in the basement of his family's Minnesota home and played Madden with Vikings rookie safety Harrison Smith.

Antoine Winfield, Sr., a three-time Bowler, was in his final of nine seasons with the Vikings and often invited Smith, along with teammates like Jamarca Sanford and Adrian Peterson, over to connect off-field.

Now an NFL rookie himself, having been drafted by Tampa Bay 45th overall this spring, Antoine Jr. spoke with media members Wednesday in advance of Sunday's Vikings-Bucs game and reflected on those early memories.

"I just remember all of them coming [over on Monday nights], and I remember [Harrison] specifically coming in and meeting him when I was young," Antoine Jr. said. "I was down there playing video games with them and beating everybody in _Madden _and everything. It was cool to be able to hang around all those guys when I was younger."

Smith graciously admitted his losses.

"He was definitely better than the rest of us at Madden," Smith laughed. "There was a little basketball game in the basement, too. All the Winfield boys were always competing at something. Always wanted to beat us at everything. I think that's just innate in the whole family."

The Pro Bowl safety recalled being a first-year NFL player and what it meant to spend time with "the vet on the team" away from the Vikings facility.

"It was a big deal for us to see how a true pro lives his life and takes care of his family, and just the whole interaction," Smith said. "I definitely look back on those times very fondly and appreciate the whole Winfield squad.

Go Gophers!!

AWjr will look good in Purple down the road.

per Young:

Eight years ago, 14-year-old Antoine Winfield, Jr., sat in the basement of his family's Minnesota home and played Madden with Vikings rookie safety Harrison Smith.

Antoine Winfield, Sr., a three-time Bowler, was in his final of nine seasons with the Vikings and often invited Smith, along with teammates like Jamarca Sanford and Adrian Peterson, over to connect off-field.

Now an NFL rookie himself, having been drafted by Tampa Bay 45th overall this spring, Antoine Jr. spoke with media members Wednesday in advance of Sunday's Vikings-Bucs game and reflected on those early memories.

"I just remember all of them coming [over on Monday nights], and I remember [Harrison] specifically coming in and meeting him when I was young," Antoine Jr. said. "I was down there playing video games with them and beating everybody in _Madden _and everything. It was cool to be able to hang around all those guys when I was younger."

Smith graciously admitted his losses.

"He was definitely better than the rest of us at Madden," Smith laughed. "There was a little basketball game in the basement, too. All the Winfield boys were always competing at something. Always wanted to beat us at everything. I think that's just innate in the whole family."

The Pro Bowl safety recalled being a first-year NFL player and what it meant to spend time with "the vet on the team" away from the Vikings facility.

"It was a big deal for us to see how a true pro lives his life and takes care of his family, and just the whole interaction," Smith said. "I definitely look back on those times very fondly and appreciate the whole Winfield squad.

Go Gophers!!

Great story and it shows how a team can really be built by team leaders.

Top Bottom