Another SH Thread

bailee88

Reaction score
It all comes down to what does SH want. If he is going to make it to the NFL he will make whether he goes to Minnesota or USC. He is going to be a big man on campus either way, but if he wants to be THE BMOC he announces for Minnesota. Other programs would love to have SH but at Minnesota there would be a greeting party at the airport as he came back from New York. You can’t make me believe that little kids in Ohio will want to grow up to be SH. In Minnesota they will, and they will be walking around everywhere with a Gopher SH jersey on. He may be all American elsewhere but her he has a chance to be THE ALL AMERICAN.
Just my take

He's an O-lineman not a QB, WR, or RB. I doubt many kids will want to be like him because it's not a "glory" position. You're not going to see his pancake blocks on SportsCenter every week. As for being the BMOC, you're probably right in a literal sense, but again, he's not playing a skill position that can carry a team. He's not a program changer on the field, but he could be off the field in terms of the program's perception to other blue chip recruits.

It all comes down to what does SH want. If he is going to make it to the NFL he will make whether he goes to Minnesota or USC. He is going to be a big man on campus either way, but if he wants to be THE BMOC he announces for Minnesota. Other programs would love to have SH but at Minnesota there would be a greeting party at the airport as he came back from New York. You can’t make me believe that little kids in Ohio will want to grow up to be SH. In Minnesota they will, and they will be walking around everywhere with a Gopher SH jersey on. He may be all American elsewhere but her he has a chance to be THE ALL AMERICAN.
Just my take

I agree with everything except the statement that he would be BMOC whether he goes to Minnesota or USC. At USC or OSU, he'd be what Bill Parcells used to refer to as a JAG: Just Another Guy. Here, he'd ascend almost immediately to legend status, and would create a buzz around campus that would be electrifying.

That's just my take.

Art
That is my whole point. At OSU he would be a non glory position offensive linemen. Here he would be known even though he does not play QB, RB or WR. His Blocks may not be shown on ESPN but if he goes to the U they would be shown on every local channel over and over.

He's an O-lineman not a QB, WR, or RB. I doubt many kids will want to be like him because it's not a "glory" position. You're not going to see his pancake blocks on SportsCenter every week. As for being the BMOC, you're probably right in a literal sense, but again, he's not playing a skill position that can carry a team. He's not a program changer on the field, but he could be off the field in terms of the program's perception to other blue chip recruits.

Disagree. IMO, that signing would be as big of a program changer as landing any player because you gain immediate credibility/legitimacy and momentum for future big-time recruits to come here. I don't care if he's a QB, RB, WR or OT. He's the #1-rated player in the nation, and everyone knows it. He comes here, and other recruits that would normally consider the U now seriously consider the U.

Disagree. IMO, that signing would be as big of a program changer as landing any player because you gain immediate credibility/legitimacy and momentum for future big-time recruits to come here. I don't care if he's a QB, RB, WR or OT. He's the #1-rated player in the nation, and everyone knows it. He comes here, and other recruits that would normally consider the U now seriously consider the U.

That's exactly my point.

Can you imagine or dream of Henderson Gere and the 2 Olsons on the same line. Plus the others that are in the system.

Art
That is my whole point. At OSU he would be a non glory position offensive linemen. Here he would be known even though he does not play QB, RB or WR. His Blocks may not be shown on ESPN but if he goes to the U they would be shown on every local channel over and over.

It's a shame no one noticed Orlando Pace in college.

God, it's going to suck when he doesn't come here.

I'm mentally preparing myself already.

If you don't think that Seantrel Henderson is a potential program changer, then I would urge you to reconsider his likely effect, especially considering the situation that the Minnesota Golden Gophers currently find themselves in. In the Brewster era the most consistent weakness on the team has been the play of the Offensive line. With the exception of the RB position (and even with the loss of Huff there's reason to be optimistic about the incoming recruits there), the skill position players have vastly improved on both sides of the ball. The Gophers are faster, quicker, and more athletic than they've been in my life as a Gopher fan. This is particularly true across the entirety of the Defense and at WR.

Minnesota has some redshirt guys this year that will make an impact next year on the O-Line. In addition Wills improved as the season wore on and should be very effective next year provided he loses another 20-30 pounds (which he will).

Henderson is an unbelievable recruit and while there will be a learning curve he will come in and contribute right away. If the Minnesota O-Line is better as a whole, Seantrel Henderson will immediately become the face of that unit. Add in that he's from Minnesota and he will be the face of the new Golden Gophers. By October there will be features of him on Big Ten Network. If the Gophers beat USC and Wisconsin you might even hear Herbie mention him while giving the Gophers their due right before he picks them to put up a fight, but ultimately lose to the juggernaut National Title bound Ohio State Buckeyes.

Seantrel will not only make a huge impact on the field but he will come to represent the Gophers off of it as well. The latter part of that equation will only happen if he chooses to don the Maroon and Gold

Let me preface this by saying that I don't think Henderson will play for the Gophers (so i'm not coming from a homer view point that if Seantrel comes we will automatically be good). I do agree that Henderson will never dominate the highlight reels or be a gigantic star, but I absolutely disagree that an offensive lineman isn't a program changer.

Our lack of an offensive line was probably the biggest problem in our offense the last two seasons. Look at the amount of NFL teams that draft OT extremely high in the first round of a draft (along with DE and QB). These our typically the worst teams in the NFL and they realize that having a dominant LT is of the utmost importance.

I do agree with you about his impact probably even being more powerful in perception than reality and I agree about the lack of star quality in being on offensive lineman, but I can understand any argument that OT isn't a gigantic impact position.

Someone with more time than me should page back in the Gopher Hole to about May '09 or so and count how many SH threads there have been. Hey, I want him to come here as much as anyone else, I just don't think it is worth it to expend all this 'hope' on something that is basically a 0% chance. Every time he talks to a local paper in some far off state, there is a thread here guessing if his words mean the Gophers are high on the list or not. Every time he fails to mention the Gophers in a National article quote, there is a thread stating the decision is over... Minnesota is no longer on his board. Through all of it, the only change in my opinion is USC has probably given way to tOSU as his likely destination. The only SH thread that will have mattered after all of this is the one that appears a nano-second after he actually announces his decision to go somewhere else, and pays MN lip service by saying it was in the running until the bitter end.

Is it possible he has no interest in being the BMOC, the face of the program off the field, or a legend? Maybe he just wants to play ball, have fun with his friends, go to school and go pro.

We're offering Seantrel a list of goods he simply may not want.

No matter where he goes, my guess is that he will redshirt!!!! Too big a jump ,look at the way Wills dominated at JC and the trouble he had to start with. With the returning numbers in the line, UNLESS he completely dominates early, he will redshirt at the next level.

Hasn't this been talked to death? The only thing to do is wait and see what happens on Feb.3rd.
Even without him, our OL is looking good at least by 2011.

Hasn't this been talked to death? The only thing to do is wait and see what happens on Feb.3rd.
Even without him, our OL is looking good at least by 2011.

+1. I'm a guilty party and will try to refrain (feel free to call me out if I fail).

Top Bottom