Another Coaching Thread

SJUgopher

Reaction score
I know we aren't going to hit a home run with the fans and media with our coaching hire. I just want to know what Auburn thought of the Gene Chizik hire? Think we could be so lucky to hire an underachieving coach with something to prove?

He was 5-19 at Iowa St in 2 years as a head coach (only two years exp as a HC). He took over a 5-7 FB team and now he's 17-5, 9-0 this year with the inside track to the National Championship.

A wildcard pick that I would like that won't go over to well on the board is high school coaching legend Gus Malzahn. I don't have his bio open right now, but I think he was coaching the Mitch Mustain high school team and then followed him to Arkansas as a QB or WR coach. He was there for a couple of years and then was OC at Tulsa for a couple of years, now he is the OC at Auburn. Seems like he is successful wherever he has been.

I know we aren't going to hit a home run with the fans and media with our coaching hire. I just want to know what Auburn thought of the Gene Chizik hire? Think we could be so lucky to hire an underachieving coach with something to prove?

He was 5-19 at Iowa St in 2 years as a head coach (only two years exp as a HC). He took over a 5-7 FB team and now he's 17-5, 9-0 this year with the inside track to the National Championship.

I was just discussing this with a co-worker whose son is at Auburn. Apparently when the Auburn Athletic Director got back from hiring Chizik, he was met at the airport by a legion of irate fans. Methinks they've changed their tune. The Chizik hire was not a popular one, but seems to have worked out pretty well.

You bring up a very good point. I tell my daughter that any time you go into a situation with elevated expectations of others that you are likely to be disappointed (as opposed to having high expectations of yourself). People are whipping themselves up into a frenzy over Peterson, Leach, etc. I'm trying to temper my expectations, so I'll be satisfied with a hire on the level of Edsall or Sumlin. Nobody was wowed when Iowa hired Ferentz. They were all pizzed that Stoops had blown them off. But I'd say in hindsight that was a pretty good hire.

Now given what a mess this program is in, I don't think Maturi can take a chance with a guy like Chizik. Or Malzahn, as MNFB suggests. That's the kind of wildcard hire that should have been made the last time around. I think we need someone with a proven record as a program manager with a solid reputation. I hate to say it, since it does involve lowering my expectations, but Fulmer wouldn't be the worst we could do in this situation.

If we get a 'disappointing' coach, a la Edsall, and there is public backlash Maturi and Bruininks will have no one to blame but themselves.

The Chizik hire was roundly and passionately criticized not only by Auburn fans, but by the national media as well.

You bring up a very good point. I tell my daughter that any time you go into a situation with elevated expectations of others that you are likely to be disappointed (as opposed to having high expectations of yourself). People are whipping themselves up into a frenzy over Peterson, Leach, etc. I'm trying to temper my expectations, so I'll be satisfied with a hire on the level of Edsall or Sumlin. Nobody was wowed when Iowa hired Ferentz. They were all pizzed that Stoops had blown them off. But I'd say in hindsight that was a pretty good hire.

Now given what a mess this program is in, I don't think Maturi can take a chance with a guy like Chizik. Or Malzahn, as MNFB suggests. That's the kind of wildcard hire that should have been made the last time around. I think we need someone with a proven record as a program manager with a solid reputation. I hate to say it, since it does involve lowering my expectations, but Fulmer wouldn't be the worst we could do in this situation.

Maturi might not have a chance to make the decision. People like Edsall or Sumlin might say no thanks. I know people don't like Brewer but he was on Mike Max and he was saying the level you are going to get is a Linnehan or maybe Trestman.

Maturi already had his attempt at a "Chizik hire" and his name was Tim Brewster. He can't afford to roll them bones anymore.

Maturi might not have a chance to make the decision. People like Edsall or Sumlin might say no thanks. I know people don't like Brewer but he was on Mike Max and he was saying the level you are going to get is a Linnehan or maybe Trestman.

That's a very real possibility. In Edsall's case, he's an east coast guy, and he may think he has a shot at the PSU sweepstakes when JoePa quits (or keels over at his desk, whichever comes first). I'd like to think we have a better shot with Sumlin. If he chumps us, then Minnesota really is looked at as being a coaching graveyard.

But if your scenario does come to pass, I would hope that we'd take a closer look at Mike Leach rather than going with Linnehan or Trestman. Both of those guys excite me as much as 3 day old leftover tuna casserole. I can see why Leach might not be on the "A" list as we start our search. But to use a dating analogy, if you want to go out on Saturday night, you first start by calling all the hotties you know (assuming you know any). If they all blow you off, you then have to choose between asking out the girl who might be a little insane and could be high maintenance, or the ones who, ummm might need to eat a salad or two. The latter might have a nice personality, but are they going to, errrr, excite your fanbase?;)

I watched the show and that interview with Jack Brewer and my recollection was that Jack Brewer endorsed Scott Linehan exclusively for Gophers job. He thinks that Linehan really wants the job and that he can hire a great assistant coaching staff for the job to coach the talent. Max was the one who lumped Trestman with Linehan --- not Brewer. I sensed that Max was in a subtle manner pushing for Trestman and that was his way to keep his name alive.Brewer did not push for him. Brewer did state that Sumlin may be at the level that won't be interested along with the big names.

Brewer doesn't know what he's talking about; his motive is more than likely conceit. People want to dump on this program. If we put up the money, someone good will come here. It may not be Harbaugh, but we won't sink to the level of Linehan or Trestman. We'll go with a coordinator before we'll hire either of those losers.

Brewer doesn't know what he's talking about; his motive is more than likely conceit. People want to dump on this program. If we put up the money, someone good will come here. It may not be Harbaugh, but we won't sink to the level of Linehan or Trestman. We'll go with a coordinator before we'll hire either of those losers.

exactly. This really isn't rocket science. Pay up and people will come. Leach has already expressed interest;)

Maturi already had his attempt at a "Chizik hire" and his name was Tim Brewster. He can't afford to roll them bones anymore.

Ehhhh, Gene Chizik was a highly sought after defensive coordinator and won the Frank Broyles award. He wasn't successful at Iowa State, but it really is hard to judge somebody after two seasons. Rhoads is doing plenty well with Chizik's talent.

Why do you compare Linehan with Trestman ? Please state specific reasons.

* He has coaching experience in college football including Offensive Coordinator
* He has coaching experience in Professional football including Offensive Coordinator and was hired away from Vikings by Nick Saban at Miami Dolphins
* He has Head coaching experience with Rams ( not good record admittedly)
* Current Offensive Coordinator with Lions
* He seems to always stay employed so that tells me he has a good reputation around the coaching circles so he may be able to hire a very good staff of coaches.
* He is coordinator with NFL so it may help him recruit QBs who have a dream to play in NFL.

He is not my 1st choice for the Gophers job. However, I can understand Jack Brewer's endorsement for him. My preference is getting a solid foundation in place that can coach up the offensive and defensive lines with the kids that don't get offers from the other schools (therefore they will always come here --- such as Hamilton,Setterstom,Eslinger,White,VanDeSteeg,Sherels,and others who are the heart and soul of the program.
Winning will help us keep the top talent here and not all will leave for high level programs. Some kids either want to leave to get away from home or they feel they are too good for out program. We won't always get everyone. Lets coach up who we do have.

Take it with a grain of salt, but a friend of mine who's well-connected to the U told me this morning that Trestman is in fact the current top target for the Gophers. Obviously this can change, and this buddy could be blowing smoke up my arse, but that's what he told me. I HOPE this is not true.

1+ I have noticed that it seems like all the former "Mase" players are trying to point out that the U wont' be able to get a coach of "Mase's" caliber again.

One particular "M" man I would be interested to get the thoughts of is MBIII. I don't recall him really saying anything about the program after he left, but Maroney couldn't wait to trash Mase. (IIRC).

Take it with a grain of salt, but a friend of mine who's well-connected to the U told me this morning that Trestman is in fact the current top target for the Gophers. Obviously this can change, and this buddy could be blowing smoke up my arse, but that's what he told me. I HOPE this is not true.

Your friend could be lying to you, but there are other possibilities that either Trestman will be hired or he is lying to you. He may have bad information, and rumors - even from people supposedly well-connected - are usually bad information. What does well-connected really mean? How reliable is HIS source? Is this 3rd hand, 4th hand of 5th hand information?

* He has coaching experience in college football including Offensive Coordinator
* He has coaching experience in Professional football including Offensive Coordinator and was hired away from Vikings by Nick Saban at Miami Dolphins
* He seems to always stay employed so that tells me he has a good reputation around the coaching circles so he may be able to hire a very good staff of coaches.
* He is coordinator with NFL so it may help him recruit QBs who have a dream to play in NFL.

He is not my 1st choice for the Gophers job. However, I can understand Jack Brewer's endorsement for him. My preference is getting a solid foundation in place that can coach up the offensive and defensive lines with the kids that don't get offers from the other schools (therefore they will always come here --- such as Hamilton,Setterstom,Eslinger,White,VanDeSteeg,Sherels,and others who are the heart and soul of the program.
Winning will help us keep the top talent here and not all will leave for high level programs. Some kids either want to leave to get away from home or they feel they are too good for out program. We won't always get everyone. Lets coach up who we do have.

Good point, but I would rather coach up kids that other programs do want. Talent does matter, but you're right that we aren't going to get every kid. I like what Ferentz and Bielema have done. They get solid 3 and 4 star guys that fit their system and then perfect their techniques.

They are leaking names to different sources to figure out who the rat is. Don't get your friend's connection busted by squawking names here, imo.

I will not take that with a grain of salt. I am in complete panic mode right now! Won't someone please think of the children!!!

You may want to take another look at Trestman's background. He is as well regarded among NFL coaching circles and is only missing NFL coach from his resume. Both have plateaued and their careers are on a downward spiral. We want someone on the way up, not down.

I was just discussing this with a co-worker whose son is at Auburn. Apparently when the Auburn Athletic Director got back from hiring Chizik, he was met at the airport by a legion of irate fans. Methinks they've changed their tune. The Chizik hire was not a popular one, but seems to have worked out pretty well.

Yep...there was a segment of the fan base that was not to thrilled with the Chizik hire.

Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dxvwG5BVY

This could be us GopherHole rubes at Holman Field in St. Paul if Maturi delivers Trestman from Montreal :clap:

Good point, but I would rather coach up kids that other programs do want. Talent does matter, but you're right that we aren't going to get every kid. I like what Ferentz and Bielema have done. They get solid 3 and 4 star guys that fit their system and then perfect their techniques.

I certainly agree.Thats the goal for sure. I respect both of those programs and the identity they have established. Our next coach needs to have a vision, hire assistants who can help implement this vision, and stick to this vision. This will give them an identity.
I feel that Linehan could be an option. I don't feel that Trestman ever should be.

Coordinators and staff

Count me as one who is just as concerned, if not more concerned, with WHO the next head coach brings with him for a coaching staff.

I don't WANT a Belotti or a Fullmer or a Leach or maybe even a Peterson or Harbaugh if I don't know they are going to bring in a group of coordinators that they know and trust, that they have worked with before and that they have been successful with before.

Other than a boost in recruiting and good PR with the fan base, what good is a big name coach if he doesn't bring a quality staff with him?

Brewster didn't fail here because he's not a good coach. He failed because he was unprepared for the duties of a head coach. He didn't bring with him a staff that he knew and trusted, and that were loyal to him; he tried to assemble a staff by picking individuals from all over, from different programs and different backgrounds and that's why there was so much staff turnover under his watch. Recipe for disaster.

Maturi and the Prez probably figured this out (hopefully). If they have any brains at all, a LARGE portion of their interview process is going to include questions about what staff each guy plans on bringing with them when they take over.

In short, I'll be happy for the most part with hiring a guy who has been successful somewhere AND is bringing at least a few key members of that staff with them. Nobody builds programs by themselves.

I certainly agree.Thats the goal for sure. I respect both of those programs and the identity they have established. Our next coach needs to have a vision, hire assistants who can help implement this vision, and stick to this vision. This will give them an identity.
I feel that Linehan could be an option. I don't feel that Trestman ever should be.

I agree uffda. Tim Brewster was like the first George Bush when it came to the "vision thing." It's about more than simply collecting talented players and throwing them out on the field. You need system that makes--through scheme and position coaching--the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Your point is well taken. I agree that good asst. coaches /coaching coordinators are extremely important.
Belotti has hired /mentored the following current coaches:

Jeff Tedford California
Todd Petersen Boise St.
Chip Kelly Oregon

Thats a good track record as far as I am concerned.

Chris Petersen -- not Todd

Your point is well taken. I agree that good asst. coaches /coaching coordinators are extremely important.
Belotti has hired /mentored the following current coaches:

Jeff Tedford California
Todd Petersen Boise St.
Chip Kelly Oregon

Thats a good track record as far as I am concerned.

Chris Petersen -- not Todd ----- My bad -- no dis-respect meant on my part

Dirk Koetter as well .. although he was mediocre at ASU, he was great at Boise and he is an OC in the NFL with the Jags now.

Dirk Koetter

Dirk Koetter as well .. although he was mediocre at ASU, he was great at Boise and he is an OC in the NFL with the Jags now.

Dirk may be available if Del Rio gets the axe with the Jaguars. I don't know much about him but if not a HC, maybe a coordinator.

Top Bottom