Annalese Lamke Adjusting to New Role

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/l...cle_8f5b181e-4425-5ba8-a9af-6a43d3d034ed.html

Lacrosse Tribune (Joel Badzinski):

Annalese Lamke went home to Galesville last summer eager to attack the to-do list from her coaches on the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team.

It only took a few weeks for Lamke’s plans to change. What she hoped would be an offseason of hard work that would help her build on 14 starts as a freshman for the Gophers instead began with her out of action.

Lamke, a 6-foot-3 center, suffered a broken right foot in late May, and a protective boot kept her from shooting, running, and footwork drills until September. She reported to pre-season workouts with a clean bill of health, but her three months off, combined with Minnesota’s depth in the post, made it difficult to push for a starting job.

“I was just playing on the court at home, then I stepped funny and broke my ankle,” Lamke said. “It’s been a recurring thing, they said I fractured my foot before and I just played through it, and it finally broke really well.”...

...“We told her we’re not going to compare you to a more athletic post player in our conference, we’re going to compare you to people that are similar,” Stollings said. “We want you to use your body and your strength. She made a pretty strong commitment to just her conditioning and really transformed that part of her game. I think next is the agility piece and being able to finish at the basket against someone with the same size. That’s going to be a big key.”

Lamke is having as much fun as she can with her new role. She’s one of the leaders of the Gophers’ bench mob, providing energy by shouting and cheering rather than setting screens and rebounding.

“Our team loves doing that,” she said. “We were at New Mexico, and it was us versus their fans in The Pit, and we were just kind of fighting with one of their fans who was yelling at us to be quiet. Celebrating and watching my teammates do great is so much fun for me.”

Probably will transfer. To bad about the injury because she was really raw last year and did need a lot of work in the off season. She also looks heavier than last year.

Top Bottom