Andy Katz: "Tubby Smith may be doing his best coaching job -- at the U."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Katz:

"Minnesota lost to Illinois in double overtime in the Big Ten opener for both teams Tuesday night. But Gophers coach Tubby Smith may be doing his best coaching job -- at the U. The Gophers were thin in experience heading into the season. Losing Trevor Mbakwe to a season-ending knee injury last month should have devastated them. Granted the schedule was soft in many spots but the Gophers still went into that Big Ten opener at 12-1. The Gophers still have a long way to go to ensure a postseason berth but to be this competitive, and playing with this much confidence with such an inexperienced crew, is a credit to Smith and these players."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...d/42957/3-point-shot-pitts-befuddling-offense

Go Gophers!!

Tubby's intensity level appears...

to be at a higher level than the later parts of last season. I'm guessing that Smith's health problems last year had a bigger effect on him and the team than previously thought. It's only human nature to be a "bit distracted" after being diagnosed with cancer. I'm not being an apologist, just an observation.

Can he pick up his recruiting intensity? Perhaps sign a player who can hit a three reliably?

They are inexperienced because so many of his hand picked players have left.

I think Katz is spot on. This team is impressing so far, but they also have to get some W's in conference play. Getting a W @ Michigan would be pretty big for this team, hopefully they can do it.

I have no qualms with the job Tubby is doing with the group he has, but let's not forget that five years in, the group he has is entirely of his own making.

Top Bottom