Andy Katz: The realignment effect on college hoops

Re-alignment

I'm really bemused by Baylor's logic in threatening litigation against the SEC and Texas A&M to preserve the "football rivalries with the Texas schools". Why didn't they care about that in the mid '90s when they left Houston, SMU, TCU & Rice in the dust to join the Big XII?!?!

I'm really bemused by Baylor's logic in threatening litigation against the SEC and Texas A&M to preserve the "football rivalries with the Texas schools". Why didn't they care about that in the mid '90s when they left Houston, SMU, TCU & Rice in the dust to join the Big XII?!?!

Baylor will be screwed if the Big 12 breaks up. This is one of the few moves, if not the only one, they have left to try to keep the Big 12 alive.

Only if Notre Dame comes calling (but don't beg 'em, make them come to you) would I want the B1G to expand a little further. I think the Big Ten's going to sit still, as they should. I hope Jim Delany sticks to his word:

"We're looking for quality, not quantity."

The B1G can't just start adding any Tom, Dick or Harry school (i.e. K-State, Oklahoma State, etc.) simply for expansion's sake. I hope we're above that.

Baylor will be screwed if the Big 12 breaks up. This is one of the few moves, if not the only one, they have left to try to keep the Big 12 alive.

I get that, I was just bemused by their email blast saying that their reasoning was to save the rivalries. They didn't care about breaking rivalries when they bailed on the SWC. Also if they go through with this lawsuit, what do they think is going to happen when the Big 12 tries to poach schools? The logic seems very flawed.

I agree with you SS, I hope the Big 10 stands pat. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not opposed to a little more quantity, especially if it hurts the other guy's egos. Having added football powers Penn State and Nebrasky, I think Kansas would be a great addition to beef up the B10's hoops cred, as if it needs it. Ditto Syracuse. Wouldn't that be great: Kansas vs. Syracuse, a Big 10 conference game.

There would be the added benefit of a couple of football teams that the Gophers might be able to beat every now and again.

Top Bottom