Andy Katz has Minnesota as one of his "sleepers for 2011-12"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Minnesota
Andy Katz: I know, I know. I've gone down this road before with the Golden Gophers. Haven't I learned my lesson with this squad? Well, apparently not. They were my sleeper team a year ago to challenge for the Big Ten title and the Gophers didn't even make the postseason. But they did have some legitimate excuses. Devoe Joseph left in the middle of the season, and that crushed their guard play. Why? Because Al Nolen was hurt and Blake Hoffarber wasn't a true point. The Gophers were never a complete team and it showed throughout the Big Ten season.

But Minnesota has hope. The Gophers return one of the toughest big men in the country in Trevor Mbakwe, who will be a beast to deal with on the interior. Ralph Sampson III decided against staying in the NBA draft and should finally be ready to reach his potential. If Maurice Walker is healthy from a knee injury and if Rodney Williams can live up to the hype and do more than be an athletic wing, the Gophers will have the deepest and most productive frontcourt in the Big Ten outside of the one-man wrecking crew at Ohio State.

The main question: Are guards like Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin and Maverik Ahanmisi ready to step up their production and leadership? If the Gophers can get quality guard play, this team will surprise. The early schedule is manageable and should build confidence heading into the Big Ten with a weak Old Spice Classic and home games against rebuilding Virginia Tech and USC. Tubby Smith has always had Minnesota competitive. The Gophers will always defend well -- the issue for this team has been scoring. That shouldn't be a problem inside. If they can make perimeter shots and not waste possessions with costly turnovers, these Gophers can make some noise."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...heir-sleeper-teams-2011-12-college-basketball

Go Gophers!!

PLease let it be so, Andy. Please let it be so...

Does he have a mancrush on Tubby? I think he covers us more than our newspapers.

Does he have a mancrush on Tubby? I think he covers us more than our newspapers.

Certainly more positively. Just reading it makes me even more anxious for this season. We have to have used up all our bad luck, haven't we?

Certainly more positively. Just reading it makes me even more anxious for this season. We have to have used up all our bad luck, haven't we?

If not, we have the worst luck of any college team in history.

as for andy, yes, i think he does have a man-crush on tubby! But I say whatever it takes to balance out some of the negativity of the press in the TCs. :)

The best part about Andy Katz's love for Tubby and the Gophers is that he graduate from UW.

This is definitely the truth. We get more national coverage from Katz than every other big sports-writer combined.

"I know, I know. I've gone down this road before with the Golden Gophers. Haven't I learned my lesson with this squad?"
Oh Andy - we understand.

Top Bottom