Andrews

FiveStarFan

Reaction score
This kid wants us to follow him on twitter! Wants to hear from Gopher fans!

@NateAndrews1

Or he wants to connect with Gopher fans. He also wants us to follow his buddy and 2014 recruit @sayy_whaa

Um, this doesn't feel right. Is he running a scam on us?

Are people really having a problem with a kid wanting to connect and hear from fans on Twitter? Could anything be any more harmless?

Kid has offers from FSU, BAMA, MISSISSIPPI, and TENNESSEE. Hoping he gets a ton of Twitter followers from Minnesota.

Nate Andrews ‏@NateAndrews1
S/O to all my gopher fans.. Thanks for showing me love on Twitter and following me

I wish the kid all well but if you need twit hits, Im too old for your support.

After leaving the U of M, we are trained to LEAD, NOT FOLLOW.

Progess man, either get behind it or get out of the way. If my two second tweet gets a 4 star possible game changer to the program then I don't feel bad at all. If he doesn't come, oh schucks ill never get those two seconds back!

Are people really having a problem with a kid wanting to connect and hear from fans on Twitter? Could anything be any more harmless?

Well, technically, if you've ever purchased a ticket from the U to any U sporting event, you are considered a booster and talking to him is an NCAA violation. As we've discussed on the forum before, I doubt it's something they'd ever "prosecute", but it is technically a violation.

Well, technically, if you've ever purchased a ticket from the U to any U sporting event, you are considered a booster and talking to him is an NCAA violation. As we've discussed on the forum before, I doubt it's something they'd ever "prosecute", but it is technically a violation.

This was my first thought. No booster is supposed to have contact with a recruit.

I'm not a booster, so no worries there. Personally, I think it's cool and smart that a player wants to connect with the fans. Twitter affords him the opportunity to hear from the people he might be playing for for 3 or 4 years; I'd take that chance if it was my life too.

My concern - the only reason I wouldn't do it - is whether it's technically permissible or a violation.

I don't have a twitter account, but I do check the Twitter posts from the GI guys. Check the twitter conversations on every other kid we're recruiting against other teams - they are LOADED with posts from fans of those other teams (Syracuse, Bama, Tennessee, etc, etc.).

I cant imagine being 16 or 17 years old and have hundereds of people ive never met reaching out to contact me everyday. Crazy.

True, and the fact that I work in the athletic department is the reason why I shy away from actually contacting any recruits (although I do follow plenty of them). That being said, there is essentially 0 chance that anything would come from a "booster" connecting with a recruit via Twitter. The only way I could see the NCAA doing something about it is if it was a major booster, such as T. Denny Sanford.

True, and the fact that I work in the athletic department is the reason why I shy away from actually contacting any recruits (although I do follow plenty of them). That being said, there is essentially 0 chance that anything would come from a "booster" connecting with a recruit via Twitter. The only way I could see the NCAA doing something about it is if it was a major booster, such as T. Denny Sanford.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that if ANY school would get in trouble for something so dumb, that it would be us? We would probably get the death penalty for telling a kid "Welcome to Gophs" just because the NCAA wanted to make an example out of us. But let's be real, we can't even fathom the things that the southern schools are doing to get some of the kids that they get.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that if ANY school would get in trouble for something so dumb, that it would be us? We would probably get the death penalty for telling a kid "Welcome to Gophs" just because the NCAA wanted to make an example out of us. But let's be real, we can't even fathom the things that the southern schools are doing to get some of the kids that they get.

Ha. Too true.

Could you imagine the scathing Fox9 News Exclusive. . . "Did the Gophers Cheat with a Tweet?".
The sad thing is that I can literally picture the Minnesota Media roasting Teague, Kill, and "GopherFanGuy101" for this recruiting atrocity.

Top Bottom