Andre Hollins will start at PG this year.

sidefx182

Reaction score
Sitting next to Coach E and he confirmed that Andre will be the starting PG next year. He also said to look for Austin Hollins to start at the 2.

Hollins & Hollins backcourt....thoughts?

Keep checking www.stobblog.com during the off season for more updates.

I don't remember Austin being that great of a ballhandler. I would kind of like to see Welch in the backcourt with Andre to help share ballhandling duties.

Of course he will. Who else do they have? If Austin starts at the 2 it's only because Tubby is being stubborn.

Please explain the jamiche logic on that statement that so few gopherholers seem to ever understand

Of course he will. Who else do they have? If Austin starts at the 2 it's only because Tubby is being stubborn.

I think Austin will open some eyes this year.Got a chance to be a great defender and I think he will show the ability to hit shots and take his man off the dribble.His freshmen year was a learning experience and he probably was forced to play too much.He was weak and lacked confidence.Which are areas than can be fixed.I think the physical and basketball skills are there.Plus he's a coache's son which is always a good thing.

Please explain the jamiche logic on that statement that so few gopherholers seem to ever understand

It won't be Maverick. Tubby doesn't appear to want to give Chip a chance and he's not a pg anyway. Welch is an unknown and wasn't nearly as highly ranked coming out of HS as Andre (not that it means all that much). Consequently. Andre may start at the one by default. His youtube tapes seem to show some skill.

In terms of Austin, in order to be successful at the 2 you have to be able to show real proficiency at two or more of the following: shoot from the perimeter; get to the basket and finish; pass the ball; defend the other team's best wing. Austin's only strength las year was, at times, on defense. Typically, the biggest jump is between the first and second year, so maybe we will see real growth. However, Austin didn't do anything last year to be named the starter on the first day of practice this fall. I thought Chip was a more effective, aggressive player last year but Tubby had him on a much shorter leash than Austin.

That's the logic.

I think Austin will open some eyes this year.Got a chance to be a great defender and I think he will show the ability to hit shots and take his man off the dribble.His freshmen year was a learning experience and he probably was forced to play too much.He was weak and lacked confidence.Which are areas than can be fixed.I think the physical and basketball skills are there.Plus he's a coache's son which is always a good thing.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the fact that welsh missed the entire summer due to summer school. tubby probably hasn't gotten a real good look at him yet. hopefully the kid adjusts quickly and we end up with some good depth in the backcourt, unlike last year.

I find it hard to believe they already have the starters figured out but if this truly the case I like it. My ideal starting line up would be Hollins, Hollins, Williams, Mbakwe, and Sampson III. Then have a 2nd team of Welch, Chip/Coleman, Oto, Mo, and Eliason.

I'd expect Austin to be in the starting lineup with Rodney, Trevor and Ralph... but I don't buy that Andre is cemented in as the starting point guard at this point in time, despite what the basketball operations guy may have said. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen, but Welch has been my favorite to win the job.

Starters

Yes please start Sampson. Love watching him give 50% night after night.

I find it hard to believe they already have the starters figured out but if this truly the case I like it. My ideal starting line up would be Hollins, Hollins, Williams, Mbakwe, and Sampson III. Then have a 2nd team of Welch, Chip/Coleman, Oto, Mo, and Eliason.

We have to remember its more about playing time and who finishes the game. That being said, Welch-Hollins-Hollins-Mbakwe-Sampson (maybe Mo) will be our big six-seven players this year.

I'm not part of the Chip fan club, neither is coach.

I would think Tubby has not yet decided on the starting line-up/who gets the most miniutes. I would think Tubby will start/play the players he thinks give the team the best chance to win.

Call it stubbornness if you like, but if so there are a lot of stubborn coaches around the country.

We have to remember its more about playing time and who finishes the game. That being said, Welch-Hollins-Hollins-Mbakwe-Sampson (maybe Mo) will be our big six-seven players this year.

I'm not part of the Chip fan club, neither is coach.

I don't see Rodney in that big six-seven?

I would think Tubby has not yet decided on the starting line-up/who gets the most miniutes. I would think Tubby will start/play the players he thinks give the team the best chance to win.

Call it stubbornness if you like, but if so there are a lot of stubborn coaches around the country.

Thank goodness there are NO stubborn experts on the comment boards, 19.

Most freshmen don't show real proficiency in two of those areas; we've only seen Austin as a freshman. It's also possible to play by default (as you've mentioned) or because you're a solid all-around player, and Austin should start due to both of those reasons. I thought that Chip deserved a little more time than he did, but he certainly didn't show enough to say that Tubby would only be starting Austin out of stubbornness.

It won't be Maverick. Tubby doesn't appear to want to give Chip a chance and he's not a pg anyway. Welch is an unknown and wasn't nearly as highly ranked coming out of HS as Andre (not that it means all that much). Consequently. Andre may start at the one by default. His youtube tapes seem to show some skill.

In terms of Austin, in order to be successful at the 2 you have to be able to show real proficiency at two or more of the following: shoot from the perimeter; get to the basket and finish; pass the ball; defend the other team's best wing. Austin's only strength las year was, at times, on defense. Typically, the biggest jump is between the first and second year, so maybe we will see real growth. However, Austin didn't do anything last year to be named the starter on the first day of practice this fall. I thought Chip was a more effective, aggressive player last year but Tubby had him on a much shorter leash than Austin.

That's the logic.

Most freshmen don't show real proficiency in two of those areas; we've only seen Austin as a freshman. It's also possible to play by default (as you've mentioned) or because you're a solid all-around player, and Austin should start due to both of those reasons. I thought that Chip deserved a little more time than he did, but he certainly didn't show enough to say that Tubby would only be starting Austin out of stubbornness.

I'm not sure that Chip deserves to start either but he certainly was a more assertive player, when given the opportunity, than Austin last year. I have no information, but I wondered last year if the sizable differential in playing time between Austin and Chip, particularly once the roster was depleted, was a function of Tubby's relationship with Lionel. I'm not anti-Austin, and I hope that both he and Chip have a great season this year, but I didn't think that his actual performance matched the minutes he was given or the public praise he received from Tubby. Maybe that's why Tubby makes two mil a year coaching the gophs and I don't. I didn't see it.

Chip was a better scorer. Austin was a significantly better defender. Tubby likes defense. Simple as that.

Chip was a complete liability on defense, zero threat from the perimeter, an average to below average ball handler, and undersized for a shooting guard. That's not to say he doesn't have a ton of potential, he was only a freshman. He was a fantastic spark plug off the bench offensively because he really showed no fear in getting to the hoop or pulling up mid range. Chip need to assert himself on both ends of the floor to gain more consistent minutes.

Hollins is no lock to be a solid B1G shooting guard, but his game was much more well rounded as a freshman on both sides of the ball. Hollins needs to regain his shooting stroke to demand those minutes though. His confidence appeared to be shattered by the end of the year. Scouting reports out of high school called him a silky smooth shooter, I'm hoping he regains that form. He did show flashes of ability to get to the rim and finish in traffic.

Chip was a complete liability on defense, zero threat from the perimeter, an average to below average ball handler, and undersized for a shooting guard. That's not to say he doesn't have a ton of potential, he was only a freshman. He was a fantastic spark plug off the bench offensively because he really showed no fear in getting to the hoop or pulling up mid range. Chip need to assert himself on both ends of the floor to gain more consistent minutes.

Hollins is no lock to be a solid B1G shooting guard, but his game was much more well rounded as a freshman on both sides of the ball. Hollins needs to regain his shooting stroke to demand those minutes though. His confidence appeared to be shattered by the end of the year. Scouting reports out of high school called him a silky smooth shooter, I'm hoping he regains that form. He did show flashes of ability to get to the rim and finish in traffic.

I'm a Chip fan. My preference would be to work with good offensive players and mold them into good defenders. I think it is very difficult to do the opposite.

However, if we are to be really good this year, my hope is that Welch and Andre Hollins win the point and off guard starting jobs. From what I saw of Austin last year it looks like he should be sharing time with Rodney at SF.

On Austin vs. Chip, it's not even close for me. Hollins easily gets the nod and should have been starting more last year. The Gophers couldn't turn the opposition over to save their lives and meanwhile Hollins, with great length, a solid all around game and above average thievery abilities is on the bench.

Armelin loves to shoot and perhaps there's an 'instant offense' role for him on this year's team, but even offensively he needs to improve on how he finishes. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he showed no fear in getting to the hoop. However, for pressing the issue on offense as much as he did, his free throw rate of 21% is extremely low. Put another way, if he's going to get minutes, he needs to draw contact in the lane. Joe Coleman (who I think will turn out to be pretty good - not getting much props from GH's now, but he will) may be able to help him in that regard.

On Austin vs. Chip, it's not even close for me. Hollins easily gets the nod and should have been starting more last year. The Gophers couldn't turn the opposition over to save their lives and meanwhile Hollins, with great length, a solid all around game and above average thievery abilities is on the bench.

Armelin loves to shoot and perhaps there's an 'instant offense' role for him on this year's team, but even offensively he needs to improve on how he finishes. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he showed no fear in getting to the hoop. However, for pressing the issue on offense as much as he did, his free throw rate of 21% is extremely low. Put another way, if he's going to get minutes, he needs to draw contact in the lane. Joe Coleman (who I think will turn out to be pretty good - not getting much props from GH's now, but he will) may be able to help him in that regard.

Great post. It is too early to be worried about who would start but I agree with Gopher Worrior 100%. Austin is long as you mentioned. It will be very hard for teams to score against a team that has 3 shot blockers (Ralph, Rodney, and Trevor), a speedy PG, and a long SG. As I mentioned many months ago, Tubby likes to win the game in the 1st 10 minutes of the game (I know it hasn't happened here lately). If this happens, the 2nd lineup will come in and increase the margin by a speedy offense that includes Chip and Joe.

It will be a fun year.

Go Gophers

I think Mav will figure more prominently in the rotation than most people posting on this board expect. Tubby has publicly lamented not playing him more last year when Devoe and Al were gone.

I think that Tubby was getting at the fact that he made us suck at two positions as opposed to just one. Mav just didn't really show many glimpses of potential. Hopefully his shooting and decision-making are improved this year.

I think Mav will figure more prominently in the rotation than most people posting on this board expect. Tubby has publicly lamented not playing him more last year when Devoe and Al were gone.

I think that Tubby was getting at the fact that he made us suck at two positions as opposed to just one. Mav just didn't really show many glimpses of potential. Hopefully his shooting and decision-making are improved this year.

Exactly, letting Mav run the point would have allowed Blake to remain at shooting guard. I think Tubby regrets it more because Blake was much more valuable at shooting guard, rather than because Mav is a solid point guard.

The consensus opinion here seems to be that Tubby wasted a scholarship when he offered Mav. His showing last year was proof that he is incapable of playing in the B1G. I don't think Tubby sees it that way.
He was the starting pg at the end of last year. He is the only one of the three pgs with any experience in Tubby's system.

I personally like Mav, how he will stack up against Andre and Welch I couldn't say, I haven't seen them play. He might be a liability defensively because of his quickness but offensively he is easily serviceable at PG. He is never going to be a great one on one player but he gets the offensive sets going both in the half court and on the fast break.

Top Bottom