Andre Hollins/Cory Joseph

bga1

Reaction score
I have watched Cory Joseph three or four times this year. After watching Hollins twice (thank you for the links Rex), even watching his worst game of the year- I think Hollins will be a better player than CJ. Joseph is tough, but he's not exactly the "true point" that we all are looking for and he's not tremendously quick or a pure shooter. I think Hollins is going to be the better scorer and has more upside than Joseph.

My guess is that we might never have gotten Hollins had we gotten Joseph. I may be wrong but this may be a good trade in the end.

Yes, but two Josephs better than one Hollins...if CJ is here...we don't lose Devoe.

Let's hope so but c'mon. Why don't you add you would rather have Oto than Tristan Thompson?

Hollins has not played a minute of NCAA while Joseph plays the whole game for a top 15 team. We would be a perenial powerhouse if our recruits panned out like our fans believe they will.

Let's hope so but c'mon. Why don't you add you would rather have Oto than Tristan Thompson?

Hollins has not played a minute of NCAA while Joseph plays the whole game for a top 15 team. We would be a perenial powerhouse if our recruits panned out like our fans believe they will.

No- I'd rather have Thompson. :) Seriously, I realize the Joseph is a good player and will get better, I just have a hunch that Hollins is going to be great for us. Besides we are long overdue to have a big time perimeter player.

As of now, I do agree and think Andre will eventually become a better player than Cory, but considering he hasn't played a minute at the collegiate level yet, I'll leave the true evaluation for next season.

I have watched Cory Joseph three or four times this year. After watching Hollins twice (thank you for the links Rex), even watching his worst game of the year- I think Hollins will be a better player than CJ. Joseph is tough, but he's not exactly the "true point" that we all are looking for and he's not tremendously quick or a pure shooter. I think Hollins is going to be the better scorer and has more upside than Joseph.

My guess is that we might never have gotten Hollins had we gotten Joseph. I may be wrong but this may be a good trade in the end.

Maybe Cory Joseph is still a freshman and expecting huge things out of a freshman is not wise? Search for the words 'cory joseph' and you'll find scores of threads talking about how awesome he would make the Gophers.

Maybe Cory Joseph is still a freshman and expecting huge things out of a freshman is not wise? Search for the words 'cory joseph' and you'll find scores of threads talking about how awesome he would make the Gophers.

Cory Joseph would have helped the Gophers greatly.

I don't get why people love to see him fail? His brother left mid season, not Cory.

Laugh at his "failure" all you want, but Cory is in the tourney ... MN is not.

Do I think Andre could be better than Cory? Absolutely. I like Andre better at this point. But to say Cory wouldn't have help MN is wrong.

if austin developes a jumpshot, id like to think so

Wasn't Austin Hollins originally recruited as a solid shooter? I just remember at the beginning of the season ironically thinking that this team had plenty of shooters:

Blake Hoffarber
Austin Hollins
Oto Osieniks
Devoe Joseph

Then of course Oto didn't pass the NCAA clearinghouse, Devoe transferred, and Austin wasn't a reliable perimeter shooter, although he did hit a few. I remember the game @Indiana, in which Austin Hollins' 2nd half performance was a lone bright spot, thinking that he might be the only player on the team to hit a 3 pointer and a dunk in the same game.

Tubby's offense will not allow Andre - if he plays point - to shine at the level where we can even begin to start comparing him to how Cory Joseph plays.

if austin developes a jumpshot, id like to think so

Austin came into the season with a jump shot - and lost it. Check the box scores from early in the season; you'll see that he was solid early. That's consistent with his high school performance. Something happened to him.

Austin came into the season with a jump shot - and lost it. Check the box scores from early in the season; you'll see that he was solid early. That's consistent with his high school performance. Something happened to him.

Sounds a lot like the Gopher's season.

On a serious note, a lot of his shots towards the end of the year looked forced. This can easily be explained by the lack of PG play, and the lack of strong play in general from the team.

Tubby's offense will not allow Andre - if he plays point - to shine at the level where we can even begin to start comparing him to how Cory Joseph plays.

Rajon Rondo couldn't shine under Tubby's offense. I wonder how the Celtics knew to draft him?

Jodie Meeks did pretty terrible in the Tubby Smith offense as well, I mean he was only named freshman of the week in the SEC three times, unanimous selection for the SEC freshman first-team, and made the collegeinsider.com national all freshman team (per Wikipedia)

It is a complete misconception that guards cannot thrive in Tubby's offense.

if Devoe had stayed? Likely was not an option as failed drug tests and failing academically (per Tubby) pretty much forced him to transfer to a school with lower standards (OR).

Sounds a lot like the Gopher's season.

On a serious note, a lot of his shots towards the end of the year looked forced. This can easily be explained by the lack of PG play, and the lack of strong play in general from the team.

I would say that his shots didn't look forced to me, in fact he should have shot a lot more. I saw him shoot WIDE OPEN shots where he had body language that yelled out "am I supposed to do this?" A lot of our perimeter players just lacked confidence. Why? That's the question we can't answer.

Top Bottom