AND WE HAVE A DT COMMITT

I think we should make a distinction between pessimism and negativity.

I'm not negative about this class, I think it will be a fine class in the mold of last year.

What I try to do is be cautiously realistic. When I hear people say "why don't we have more 4-star recruits" my short response is generally that we're not a 4-star program. Not yet anyway.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about the development of players and the potential for a few guys to fall through due to withdrawls and such, but as it's hard to track such things empirically it's hard to guess. I also should note that GoA clarified what I meant. No, we obviously cannot confine ourselves just to the state of Minnesota, but good research shows that kids want to stay close to home more than anything else, all other things being equal, so our odds of getting a 4-star recruit from Minnesota vis-a-vis a similar player from Florida should be much much higher, and the results haven't quite been there yet.

I think we should make a distinction between pessimism and negativity.

I'm not negative about this class, I think it will be a fine class in the mold of last year.

What I try to do is be cautiously realistic. When I hear people say "why don't we have more 4-star recruits" my short response is generally that we're not a 4-star program. Not yet anyway.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about the development of players and the potential for a few guys to fall through due to withdrawls and such, but as it's hard to track such things empirically it's hard to guess. I also should note that GoA clarified what I meant. No, we obviously cannot confine ourselves just to the state of Minnesota, but good research shows that kids want to stay close to home more than anything else, all other things being equal, so our odds of getting a 4-star recruit from Minnesota vis-a-vis a similar player from Florida should be much much higher, and the results haven't quite been there yet.

As usual, well reasoned and difficult to take issue with. I'm too much of a homer to be truly objective, I guess. Perhaps it's unrealistic to land a Skyline crew or snipe a Michael Carter or two every year. But hell, hope of better days has been about the only thing getting me through the last 25 years of Gopher fandom, so I'll knowingly stick with my Pollyanna state of mind and blissfully assume Brew will conjure up more magic. :)

Great get here, welcome tom the gophers!

There likely aren't. I've been following this as close as probably anyone on here, and the tea leaves aren't good. We could still get a top 30 class, but I think the only 4 star players will be the ones we already have, with the possibility of a star bump for a guy like Beau Allen (who seems to be leaning ND anyway).

It will be composed of mostly 3 star guy with a few 2's and 4's mixed in. Probably about the same as last year, maybe a little weaker, although the higher # of scholarships will compensate.

It's really imperative we get at least 2 of the 3 (Seantrel, Allen, Tobi) to stay home. It's one thing if the classes are out of the top 30, that's understandable for Minnesota, but it's quite the other to keep losing top in-state talent.

Why do you say that Beau seems like a ND lean? I haven't read anything where he implied that.

GopherProf is to football recruiting as SelectionSunday is to the NCAA tournament.

Great job putting a whole lot of info (without babbling on and on) into perspective.

I welcome any and all things you have to say about recruiting. Keep up the good work.

Why do you say that Beau seems like a ND lean? I haven't read anything where he implied that.

Talked recently with some of Beau's high school teammates and friends. He's still a ways from making a college decision. Right now, it doesn't look too good for the Gophers. Notre Dame is ahead. Wisconsin might slip in and nab him before its all said and done.

Talked recently with some of Beau's high school teammates and friends. He's still a ways from making a college decision. Right now, it doesn't look too good for the Gophers. Notre Dame is ahead. Wisconsin might slip in and nab him before its all said and done.

This is a more knowledgable post. A coach over there is a friend of mine and I would just describe Beau as being very open at this point. He wants to take all of his OV's and decide from there.

ESPN just ranked willis as a 77.........which I believe makes him our second highest ranked recruit

Ranked a 77 by ESPN

Willis as a prospect offers some versatility to recruiters. He does not have great height, but carries good bulk and could be considered as either a guard or defensive tackle prospect. For a kid over 300 pounds he appears on film to carry his weight fairly well and considering his dimensions he moves well for his size. We would not be surprised to see him land on offense. He displays good strength and a tenacious attitude as a blocker. Displays the ability to get hand placement and when he moves his feet he can drive a defender off the ball. He needs to generate more power from his lower body and get his hips under him more so he does not get overextended. He kind of tries to out-tough and out-muscle opponents at this point and can aid his game by improving his technique. He does a solid job of climbing up to second level. Flashes the ability to be able to mirror a rusher in the short area, but needs to make sure to get good knee bend. We could see the long term fit for Willis being on offense, but he displays the ability to begin his career on defense to see how that shakes out first. He has a solid get-off, but you would like to see more explosiveness from him coming out of his stance. He does a solid job of shooting his hands and creating some separation. Like on offense he can tend to muscle it a bit and needs to watch his pad level. Displays the ability to be able to take on a blocker and hold his ground and also flashes the ability to be able to push a blocker into the backfield. Displays a solid motor and when he opens up and goes, he can offer support on the perimeter. He is a solid tackler. As a pass rusher he can bull his way back and displays the ability to get his hips turned and try and work past. Does need to become more violent with his weapons though. Willis displays the tools to be a productive college player. A career on defense could be in store, but if not he could still contribute on offense.

Nice to see Brewster's eye getting recognized again!

This kid is a one-star (Scout) and two-star (Rivals) recruit. Once again, the Gophers have to settle for second and third-tier prospects. I wish the kid luck, but how long is this going to go on? Minnesota simply cannot compete with the top of the Big Ten in terms of bringing in big-time, instant impact prospects.

This kid is a one-star (Scout) and two-star (Rivals) recruit. Once again, the Gophers have to settle for second and third-tier prospects. I wish the kid luck, but how long is this going to go on? Minnesota simply cannot compete with the top of the Big Ten in terms of bringing in big-time, instant impact prospects.

I think you're just trying to flame (I hope), because if you aren't, you may be one of the biggest dumba$$es to ever post on here. I've read worse, but it was intentional. I suppose we should try to be more like NDSU and bring in 0* players? I think it would be quite unrealistic to expect the Gophers to instantly be able to real in 4 and 5* guys with ease, you need to re-stock the talent pool (which Brewster is doing just fine at) and start putting good teams on the field to attract top players.

I do apologize for my post not being knowledgeable enough for you. Beau mentioned at one point that the Notre Dame offer was the "one he'd been waiting for," he's said that:

"I have about twelve offers and I will narrow it down by September. I like schools like Miami, Wisconsin, Stanford, Notre Dame, Nebraska, UCLA those schools I definitely like."

Notice a school missing there?

Beau goes out of his way to praise almost every school he can, but outside of the stadium I've heard him say very little positive about Minnesota. Maybe it's just the people doing the interviewing, maybe he's just being misleading in his true interests, but I get the strong impression that Beau is interested in going to a "bigger" program. It's speculation for sure, but I don't think I ever claimed his lack of interest to be fact as I have with other prospects.

Mmmmhmmm...I take it you ignored the post 2 above yours that mentions how he's a 3 star 77 on ESPN? Which would lead one to believe that Rivals/Scout will likely regrade him at some point? That may not be the 5 star wonder you're looking for but its not chopped liver either.

Mmmmhmmm...I take it you ignored the post 2 above yours that mentions how he's a 3 star 77 on ESPN? Which would lead one to believe that Rivals/Scout will likely regrade him at some point? That may not be the 5 star wonder you're looking for but its not chopped liver either.

scout has him as a 1 because he has not been graded

i mean geezez

Top Bottom