And Suddenly the West is Wide Open

For what it's worth, I think we controlled our own destiny even if Iowa won today. Minnesota wins out, Iowa loses to Minnesota, that puts both teams tied at 8-1 for first in the Big Ten West, with Minnesota getting the tiebreaker to go to Indy with the head to head victory.

But Iowa losing is always welcome.

Hoping for Purdue to beat Wisconsin, Wisconsin beats Iowa and Purdue loses to Michigan State and/or Ohio State. Gophers beat Maryland, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa and Indiana and the Wisconsin game doesn't matter as far as winning the West

Dang, I will even come to terms with the Bowling Green loss if the Gophers win the West outright. (I will find a way to spin it in my mind. Screw it.)
Would that Bowling Green loss cost us the rose bowl, though? Let's say OSU beats us in the Big10 championship. Would we get the rose bowl nod with a loss to Bowling Green or can they pick?

Would that Bowling Green loss cost us the rose bowl, though? Let's say OSU beats us in the Big10 championship. Would we get the rose bowl nod with a loss to Bowling Green or can they pick?
Pick

Finally, Iowa's low-class fanbase rubbed off on Capt'n Kirk with his fake injuries comment last week. No sympathy for Iowa. NONE.

You don't automatically get the Rose Bowl if you win the West but lose the Big Ten championship, even if the Big Ten champion goes to the playoff.

And don’t look now but we 100% control our own destiny.
Let’s go!
Gophers controlled their own destiny before Purdue beat Iowa as well. Head-to-head is first tie breaker so as long as you win all of your division games, then you can lose a crossover and still go to the championship.

The West has always been wide open. All along, it has been. The damn Bowling Green game that so many here are absolutely fixated upon is really almost meaningless when it comes to the B1G. Minnesota has one B1G loss, and it was a very competitive loss vs. Ohio State. Hey, remember the Buckeyes? They're still pretty good this season, as they almost always are. And, guess what; Purdue is pretty darned good, too! Just ask the Hawkeyes. And... we've all been hearing all week long from the media and from GopherHole that Nebraska is pretty, pretty, prrrretty good, too. Knock me over with a feather and hey, whaddya know: Minnesota beat both Purdue and Nebraska!

If — I say if — the Gophers can take care of business down the stretch, Minnesota will win the West.

Last edited:

Gophers controlled their own destiny before Purdue beat Iowa as well. Head-to-head is first tie breaker so as long as you win all of your division games, then you can lose a crossover and still go to the championship.
Very true. But I don’t think anyone would disagree that things feel way more open all the sudden with us playing well and Iowa going down in blowout fashion.

We did control our destiny, but it would have taken a high pressure perfect run.

How we just need to hold serve and pull of a win at Iowa, and suddenly, things should be looking bright.

Could lose vs MD next week though, and then pressure back on.

We did control our destiny, but it would have taken a high pressure perfect run.

How we just need to hold serve and pull of a win at Iowa, and suddenly, things should be looking bright.

Could lose vs MD next week though, and then pressure back on.
Lot of tough games still on the schedule. But the sun is shining a little brighter and the task of winning the division doesn’t feel quite as daunting as it did a few hours ago.

lots will change over the remainder of the season but nice to be in the drivers seat at the half way point.

Please explain.
Ferentz said Penn St. was maybe faking some of their injuries to try to slow things down and change the momentum.

Also, he was saying this to justify Iowa fans booing the PSU injuries.

Last edited:

All great and dandy. One week at a time though. The heck with all the predictions for the next few weeks.

Today we settled for a championship 4th quarter and won it...

Hoping for Purdue to beat Wisconsin, Wisconsin beats Iowa and Purdue loses to Michigan State and/or Ohio State. Gophers beat Maryland, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa and Indiana and the Wisconsin game doesn't matter as far as winning the West
Both Iowa and Whisky lose to Nebbie. We still need to beat Iowa to win the West.

Top Bottom