An interesting Gopher Football season with a UCLA connection:

walrus

Reaction score
Season: 1977
Gopher Coach: Cal Stoll
UCLA connection: Sept 24, 1977, Minnesota vs. UCLA
Memorial Stadium @ the Brick House

Minnesota 27 UCLA 13

This was near the beginning of the Terry Donahue era of Bruin football. Terry was the winningest coach in Bruin football history. He had a 98-51-8 record for the Bruin football program when he retired.

It marked an OOC pre-season schedule in which the Gopher Football team played UCLA and Washington back to back in their ooc schedule. They beat UCLA and it was the last game of the 1977 season that did not end with a forefeit for UCLA. The next week, the U of M football team faced a Warren Moon led team and also beat Washington by a score of 19-17.

Three games later, Minnesota faced #1 ranked Michigan in the Brickhouse in Minneapolis and prevailed by a 16-0 score. The rest of the season was rather unremarkable with the Gophers qualifying for a bowl game in which they lost to Maryland.

Still, it was a season I will never forget.

The Pac10 champion and Rose Bowl participant for the 1978 January 1st Rose Bowl game was Washington. The Big Ten Rose Bowl participant was Michigan! I was pretty excited at the time because I KNEW that Minnesota had defeated the Rose Bowl Champion no matter which team won! And, that is exactly what happened. No ties for the Rose Bowl Game!

Michigan went down to defeat at the hands of Coach Don James and his Warren Moon led Washington Football team.

It is ironic to me today that Both UCLA and Washington, along with USC and Oregon are members of the B1G Conference.

And on Saturday: Minnesota will play UCLA in the stadium that the Rose Bowl game will be played in! The last time the U of M Football Team faced UCLA in that stadium was on January 1, 1962 in the Rose Bowl game and Minnesota won 21-3.

Cal Stoll was one of my favorite Gopher Foot ball Coaches, along with Murray Warmath, Mason and PJ.

It was an incredible task for the 1977 Gopher Team to defeat both participants in the :...Grandaddy of them all..." bowl game in the same season!

Beat those stinking laid back Bruins on Saturday evening Gopher!

Last edited:

Top Bottom