An alternative to selling your tickets

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I was out of town for work last week and by the time I was back on Thursday I realized I hadn't planned for the Gopher game. I assumed I'd bring my family but with one kid having a hockey game and another with a basketball tryout scheduled for Saturday afternoon, I suddenly realized I only had my 7 year old daughter to go with me because my wife was carting the other two to their activities. I called a few buddies but as you might suspect, it is tough to give away Gopher tickets these days. One of my calls was to my brother. He couldn't go but he mentioned he was hosting a portion of several German HS aged students on a three week exchange program. I had two tickets used with my daughter and me so I told him I had room for three of the Germans if any of them were interested, and I'd pick them up and drop them off.

I had three takers (two girls and a boy), and they joined my daughter and me. I debated how to put things in the best light, with the Gophers being in a funk, plenty of Iowans to throw off the "home field" advantage, etc. I decided to roll the dice and take them to the pregame plaza band concert. I wondered if they would find it boring or generally strange that I'd bring them that early. It was a hit. Two of the three filmed the entire show and I could tell they were quite taken by the whole scene. Their eyes just kept moving back and forth from the band to the dance team and they kept thanking me for bringing them early. None of the three knew what a Gopher was and they were puzzled why our mascot wasn't very "fierce." I also had a request to walk through a tailgate lot. It was perfect. Lively, bean bags, brats, beer pong, etc.

Once we got into the game, they were obviously confused despite actually having a one hour primer on American football from their exchange program (Germans plan for EVERYTHING). I answered a lot of questions and certainly got some funny looks from the Iowa fans sitting in front of us, especially when I was describing the very simple stuff. Speaking of those fine Iowans in front of us, they managed to put on a show of their own as one drunken redneck-looking dude started swearing F-bombs at the top of his lungs when Iowa missed their second field goal. He just wouldn't quit. This attracted the attention of TWO older Gopher fans that came from almost a section away to scold the dude and tell him they were about to call security. A shouting match ensued. Gulp. I figured these German kids would have to see the bad with the good and they weren't sheltered... they each recounted similar scenes from big soccer matches they had attended.

Anyway, their "education" continued and they really understood the gravity of what was taking place on the field... the upset in the making... despite not knowing the game very well. I nearly giggled out loud as they got into it more and more as the game went on. By mid third quarter two of them were joining in on "...and that's another Golden Gopherrrrr FIRST DOWN!!" and by the fourth quarter all three of them were loudly joining in the spellout after the rouser. The boy, in particular was getting sucked in more and more to the point I noticed him doing a couple fist pumps during big Gopher plays.

I have a lot of German relatives and in general I have observed in the past what many would suspect about the Germans... they stay pretty reserved. This was pretty surprising. Different. I was really enjoying the youthful passion and energy they were showing. They were all over it. Jumping up and down during 'zombie nation', laughing at the kiss cam, you name it. I noticed them filming the band, student section, etc. etc. It was all obviously making an impression on them. It was really a rewarding experience for me and to think it all came together just Friday night, it wasn't just the game result that was a pleasant surprise.

Very cool story Schnauzer, and not surprised at all by your experience with the iowa fans.

Great story. That's much more rewarding than the $150 from stubhub and sitting next to 3 Iowa inbreds. The exchange students will remember that for a long time. Should have just said the tailgating was OKtoberfest!

I watched the end of the game at a restaurant with my German exchange student. She was amused that I, along with several people in the restaurant, was excited about winning a pig trophy!

It was all just such a pleasant surprise for me. It went from the whole thing feeling like a chore to find people to fill those seats, to having a rewarding experience... not to mention the awesome game ending with another parade featuring the "good guys" and Floyd.

Awesome Tale. Another reason why America is so awesome.

Good story. Sounds like a toss-up as to who had a better time.

Top Bottom