America’s Unequal Economic Recovery

howeda7

Reaction score
Yes....who cares that white people with centuries of advantage pass on their wealth to spoiled dipshits. Black people these days are a few generations away from slavery.....a generation or two from segregation.....and still deal with some racism.

"Why haven't they caught up?" says old white man party of the right.
Also the old white man party: "Don't your dare teach my kids why they haven't caught up or I'll rupture a blood vessel in rage at the next school board meeting!"

Angry

Reaction score
Also the old white man party: "Don't your dare teach my kids why they haven't caught up or I'll rupture a blood vessel in rage at the next school board meeting!"
Old white men complaining about old white men. This is beautiful!

John Galt

Reaction score
It will become stagnant as it accumulates at the top. These tax policies I am railing against are only a trend for the last 40- 50 years but the trend has accelerated and gotten more extreme, ie the Trump tax cuts. The mega wealthy are using their money to fund more favorable policies to ensure their wealth goes on and on and on.

I have nothing against people getting fabulously wealthy thru their own merit, ie Bezos and Musk. I have a problem when they get there thru no merit.
What does stagnant money look like? Is it the kind of money used to buy treasury bonds that keeps the government functioning?

Spoofin

Reaction score
Lets make it truly equal, all children are taken to an orphanage and raised with exactly the same opportunity. Real Equality!!!
WTH are you talking about? People who have easier childhoods don’t deserve success because some had it harder? Everyone starts with the hand they are dealt - it is what you do from there that matters

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
WTH are you talking about? People who have easier childhoods don’t deserve success because some had it harder? Everyone starts with the hand they are dealt - it is what you do from there that matters
My Dad was a school bus driver who did odd misc lawn jobs to fill in the gaps, and I have two older brothers who are in their early-mid 50's who have never made more than $22/hr. But yeah, it's all about the environment and having some massive advantage over others in your upbringing. Sure.... that makes sense because it allows people to justify to themselves why they aren't as successful as they think they should be. Keep thinking that, those damn high-earners had the deck so stacked in their favor, how could they possibly not make it big?

Section2

Reaction score
Lets make it truly equal, all children are taken to an orphanage and raised with exactly the same opportunity. Real Equality!!!
The same kids raised in the same household have wildly different outcomes. It’s not going to lead to the uniform outcome utopia progressives are so focused on.

Section2

Reaction score
Yes....who cares that white people with centuries of advantage pass on their wealth to spoiled dipshits. Black people these days are a few generations away from slavery.....a generation or two from segregation.....and still deal with some racism.

"Why haven't they caught up?" says old white man party of the right.
A tiny tiny number of people benefit from generational wealth. Most people who inherit wealth are middle aged. This narrative is just a loser mentality.

the reason blacks haven’t “caught up” is because of progressive policies: bad schools, drug war, minimum wage laws, welfare. But we all know the Democrat party motto: when it isn’t working, spend way more money and do it on a bigger scale. We are on the right side of history!!!

Wally

Reaction score
Deuce claims he wants it fair. He is just a joke.

Wally

Reaction score
The same kids raised in the same household have wildly different outcomes. It’s not going to lead to the uniform outcome utopia progressives are so focused on.
Where did I say I wanted a uniform outcome????
🙄

Section2

Reaction score
Deuce claims he wants it fair. He is just a joke.
I have never used the word fair. Life isn’t fair. I focus on rights. Voluntary interactions. Everyone has equal rights. There are no special rights for this group or that.

Section2

Reaction score
Where did I say I wanted a uniform outcome????
🙄
Ok, so we put everyone in an orphanage so they all have the exact same upbringing and education. And you do this because you don’t expect a uniform outcome? It would destroy society, but it’s a really fun idea you cooked up.

stocker08

Reaction score
A tiny tiny number of people benefit from generational wealth. Most people who inherit wealth are middle aged. This narrative is just a loser mentality.

the reason blacks haven’t “caught up” is because of progressive policies: bad schools, drug war, minimum wage laws, welfare. But we all know the Democrat party motto: when it isn’t working, spend way more money and do it on a bigger scale. We are on the right side of history!!!

The reason black people (as a whole) haven't caught up is because the middle class was reserved for white people up until a generation or two ago.

The right wing claim that they should be all caught up is why the old white man party struggles with minorities. They've started behind the eight ball and the best you righties can musters up is......WELFARE!!!!

stocker08

Reaction score
I have never used the word fair. Life isn’t fair. I focus on rights. Voluntary interactions. Everyone has equal rights. There are no special rights for this group or that.

Slavery wasn't fair. Discrimination and racism isn't fair. Life isn't fair.

Why hasn't the black community caught up yet?

Good lord.....this kind of idiocy can only be explained by one thing.....right winger.

Wally

Reaction score
Here are workers rights: Anyone is free to offer you a job for a set wage, you are free to accept it or decline. Both parties are free to walk away at any time. Equal rights.

What good are Equal Rights if one person has everything and another has nothing?

Explain...

Section2

Reaction score
What good are Equal Rights if one person has everything and another has nothing?

Explain...
What do you mean, one person has everything and another has nothing?

Section2

Reaction score
From the little boy who runs behind mommy's skirt when challenged: @50K.
Tough talking Jake is back. Jake, everyone here knows you are just salty that I’ve embarrassed you multiple times. You didn’t enjoy it. I sympathize with you. But you are boring and repetitive and a control freak. It’s just not that interesting to me. Be more like Jammer or Burner. Go for an interesting angle or style.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Tough talking Jake is back. Jake, everyone here knows you are just salty that I’ve embarrassed you multiple times. You didn’t enjoy it. I sympathize with you. But you are boring and repetitive and a control freak. It’s just not that interesting to me. Be more like Jammer or Burner. Go for an interesting angle or style.
LOL! There are about 50 threads hanging with you in full face plant, but somehow you just don't seem to get back to those threads. It's about once per week I put you in your place, but you just seem to disappear after I do. You are a little, tiny boy, @50K. Now put me back on ignore and chase Howie around more to see if he'll touch your tinkler.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
If people aren't recognizing the fact they had some privileges by having two parents who were at home, or parents who spoke English who also maybe had a high school education and they never had to deal with redlining when it came to getting a mortgage on their house, I don't know how to better explain privilege.

Wally

Reaction score
If people aren't recognizing the fact they had some privileges by having two parents who were at home, or parents who spoke English who also maybe had a high school education and they never had to deal with redlining when it came to getting a mortgage on their house, I don't know how to better explain privilege.
Some also had longer bootstraps..

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Twin Cities 'housing unaffordability' leaves few options for lowest income families

In Minneapolis and St. Paul, rent control measures are on the November ballot for the first time in both cities, a reaction to skyrocketing prices. House prices are at record highs, rents are on the rise and, among large metros, the Twin Cities has the lowest housing vacancy rate in the nation, according to new census data.

An in-depth analysis of building permits by the Met Council helps explain why. Over the past decade the seven-county metro needed 44,570 affordable houses and apartments, but only a little more than a third of them got built. The vast majority were rental apartments, but shockingly few were affordable to the lowest income renters in the Twin Cities. The extent of the gulf between what was needed and what got built surprised even the researchers. "Anecdotally I knew this, but it blew my mind," saidTara Beard, who manages Livable Cities grant programs for the Met Council. "This is the biggest issue we need to address in affordable housing."

Although construction of affordable housing units in the Twin Cities has gone up in recent years, the bulk of it is targeted to people making 60% of the area median income and very little is built for those at the lowest income levels.

1635107470096.png

The Met Council analysis sheds new light on how well the region is meeting the current and future needs of households at various income levels. The most alarming finding, researchers say, is that the deficit of new housing for households earning less than 30% of the area median income — $103,400 for a family of four — is far greater than it is for households at higher levels of affordability. These extremely low-income individuals and families have faced a persistent deficit of new units for decades.

Although construction of affordable housing units in the Twin Cities has gone up in recent years, the bulk of it is targeted to people making 60% of the area median income and very little is built for those at the lowest income levels.

1635107705294.png

For those who earn less than 30% of area median income (AMI), the Met Council estimates that nearly 1,900 new units are needed each year from now until 2030.
Yet over the past five years, an average of just 165 units were built annually, leaving a dwindling number of options for minimum-wage workers and those on fixed incomes.

In the Twin Cities metro, where housing costs are increasing far faster than wages, keeping lower income people housed is increasingly difficult. Last week, Zillow said that average rents in the metro during August were 4.5% higher than last year, causing an increase in the number of renters who are burdened by housing costs.

The Met Council said that for a four-person household that earns $31,000 (or 30% of AMI) a one-bedroom apartment that rents for $582 per month is considered "affordable," according to federal guidelines. This summer, the median monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the Twin Cities was twice that, at $1,180.

The situation is no better for buyers and renters with slightly more income. A family of four with household earnings of $78,500 (80% of AMI), a single-family home is considered affordable at $293,500. Even at that price, there are few options. In July the median price of an existing home in the Twin Cities was$343,000; a new single-family home was $100,000 more, according to the Met Council.
1635108229201.png
Construction costs are at record highs and developers can easily spend more than $200,000 to build a single apartment in a multi-unit building.
At the same time, investors are paying record prices for apartment buildings. Often, after the acquisition of a building, the new owner invests in improvements and then increases the rent. Last month, an out-of-state investor paid $305,000 per unit for a building in St. Louis Park, believed to be the highest price for a suburban building.

The private market can't make the numbers work without some kind of government assistance, said Anne Mavity, executive director of the Minnesota Housing Partnership. Like Blons, Mavity is an advocate of expanding universal rental assistance, including vouchers that help low-income renters avoid paying more than 30% of their earnings on housing. "Housing is so foundational to everything we do," Mavity said. "Some people have said we can't build ourselves out of our way [of] this problem, but we've never tried. There's an enormous cost not to do it."

https://www.startribune.com/twin-ci...r-low-income-families/600109270/?refresh=true

Spoofin

Reaction score
And you wonder why they can't find workers for low wage shit jobs...
Can't make it up...
🤣🤣🤣
Actually, you keep making lots of stuff up. Over and over. Once again, this is nothing I have said. People switching jobs for more money is nothing new Wally. Workers have more leverage now than ever before - also something Inhave said repeatedly. Seriously, what is behind your stupid obsession of creating bs arguments and claiming others have said it. You seem more desperate for attention by the day - are you lonely?

Wally

Reaction score
Actually, you keep making lots of stuff up. Over and over. Once again, this is nothing I have said. People switching jobs for more money is nothing new Wally. Workers have more leverage now than ever before - also something Inhave said repeatedly. Seriously, what is behind your stupid obsession of creating bs arguments and claiming others have said it. You seem more desperate for attention by the day - are you lonely?
You are making up bs, like the worker shortage is due to $300 unemployment payments. So the worker shortage should be over anytime now, real soon right?

Top Bottom