America’s Unequal Economic Recovery

Wally

Reaction score
I also don't support taxing wealth. We can just tax the money upon transfer or death. Make everyone earn there own fortune.

Yea that's so evil.🙄

Spoofin

Reaction score
Moving what goal posts?

How is some unearned money special and other isn't?
That's what YOU are arguing....
You are truly an idiot.
I told you that I don’t agree with estate taxes and you start yapping about stimulus payments. You are a complete hack who I normally give the benefit of the doubt to but lately (like now) you do nothing other than straw man deflections to get a rise out of people. I’m out.

Wally

Reaction score
You are truly an idiot.
I told you that I don’t agree with estate taxes and you start yapping about stimulus payments. You are a complete hack who I normally give the benefit of the doubt to but lately (like now) you do nothing other than straw man deflections to get a rise out of people. I’m out.
Can't answer so you run.
Weak

Spoofin

Reaction score

kg21

Reaction score
I also don't support taxing wealth. We can just tax the money upon transfer or death. Make everyone earn there own fortune.

Yea that's so evil.🙄
hey lefties, one of yours is saying you shouldn't give your wealth to your kids. You should give it to the government. You just sit there and say nothing.

Why are liberals so stupid?

John Galt

Reaction score
That money would be much better off in one trust fund kids bank account in Spoofworld.

Still haven't explained to me how someone inheriting millions of unearned money from daddy is somehow better and right. While giving $300 to an unemployed person is wrong.

Lets hear a logical argument without emotion.
I’ll play the game. The money has already been taxed! So you’re okay with mom and dad giving their kids every possible privilege and advantage while they’re alive, but somehow it’s not fair if their wealth goes to the kids when they die? What’s the difference? If mom and dad really want to spoil junior, they can put him through the best private schools, invest in his business, give him money for a house and fund his retirement, buy him his own yacht. All this is fine by you, but if he gets money when they die it’s suddenly wrong?!?! By the time mom and dad die, junior will already have had to make it on his own or he’ll be a parasite.

John Galt

Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, why would anyone expect an equal recovery? In a fair society, there will be drastically unequal outcomes. Before, after and during a pandemic.

kg21

Reaction score
I’ll play the game. The money has already been taxed! So you’re okay with mom and dad giving their kids every possible privilege and advantage while they’re alive, but somehow it’s not fair if their wealth goes to the kids when they die? What’s the difference? If mom and dad really want to spoil junior, they can put him through the best private schools, invest in his business, give him money for a house and fund his retirement, buy him his own yacht. All this is fine by you, but if he gets money when they die it’s suddenly wrong?!?! By the time mom and dad die, junior will already have had to make it on his own or he’ll be a parasite.
You have to be a dumb fuck to want your money to go to the government!

By the way, if I pay Wally $100 for some of his tomatoes, I guarantee he puts that money on his income taxes. You just know he would. LOL

Wally

Reaction score
You got nothing but your emotions.
So weak

If you make enough to pay estate tax it won't matter anyways. Your kids will have likely gotten millions in benefit by the time they get out of college. But those extra millions will surely benefit society...🙄🙄🤮🤮🤮🤮

Spoof you see those emojis

I was saying sarcastically that the kid inheriting those extra millions will benefit society. It wasn't a statement on collecting more taxes to benefit society.

Wally

Reaction score

No its not "all" ok. But yes they will still have massive advantages. There are already massive exemptions, you could do all that and more even if the estate tax is where I would set it. You aren't arguing against what I am saying.

Wally

Reaction score
Tell me how a bunch of Walton(Walmart) families owning most of the country is a good and desirable thing?

It's pretty much why people fled Europe for America. The Kings and Royals owned everything, that's where the US is heading.

John Galt

Reaction score
No its not "all" ok. But yes they will still have massive advantages. There are already massive exemptions, you could do all that and more even if the estate tax is where I would set it. You aren't arguing against what I am saying.
What are you saying? 🤣

John Galt

Reaction score
Tell me how a bunch of Walton(Walmart) families owning most of the country is a good and desirable thing?

It's pretty much why people fled Europe for America. The Kings and Royals owned everything, that's where the US is heading.
You think the Waltons own most of the country? They’re worth a fraction of Bezos alone.

kg21

Reaction score

Tell that to the illegals at the border and they will head back.

You envy the rich.

I don't envy the rich at all. Most of them are seeing 5 shrinks a week.

Anyone living in a building with food, a tv, a car, etc. are living better than most people on this planet. Yet all you do is envy the rich. It's never going away......rich people, that is.

Last edited:

Go4Broke

Reaction score

‘Death of 1,000 cuts’: Kellogg’s workers on why they’re striking

About 1,400 Kellogg’s workers at four US plants have gone on strike after their current union contracts expired and amid accusations that the cereal giant is offshoring jobs. The workers, represented by the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM), produce cereals for brands, including Rice Krispies, Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran, at plants in Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska and Pennsylvania.

Trevor Bidelman, president of BCTGM Local3G and a fourth-generation employee at the Kellogg’s plant in Battle Creek, Michigan, explained workers are on strike against a proposed two-tier system for current and new employees proposed by Kellogg’s. Bidelman said Kellogg’s wants to not offer pensions to new employees, remove cost of living provisions, and make changes in holiday pay and vacations. “We’re fighting for our future,” said Bidelman. “We made it very clear from the onset of negotiations that this was not something we’ll be able to accept.”

Shortly before the strike, Kellogg’s announced plans to cut 212 jobs at the Battle Creek, Michigan, plant over the next two years, including 174 positions represented by the union. The plant currently employs about 390 workers. Kellogg’s cited plans to streamline efforts and relocate cereal production to other facilities in North America as reasons for the job cuts.

“This is after just one year ago, we were hailed as heroes, as we worked through the pandemic, seven days a week, 16 hours a day. Now apparently, we are no longer heroes. Very quickly you can go from hero to zero,” added Bidelman. “We don’t have weekends, really. We just work seven days a week, sometimes 100 to 130 days in a row. For 28 days the machines run then rest three days for cleaning. They don’t even treat us as well as they do their machinery.”

The union took issue with Kellogg’s threatening to outsource jobs from the US to Mexico if workers refuse to accept their proposals. “The company continues to threaten to send additional jobs to Mexico if workers do not accept outrageous proposals that take away protections that workers have had for decades,” said the BCTGM president, Anthony Shelton, in a statement announcing the strikes.

“It’s like a death of 1,000 cuts. They’re slowly eliminating jobs out of the Lancaster plant,” said Kerry Williams, who works in processing maintenance at the Lancaster, Pennsylvania, facility. “We had to work through this Covid for the last two years and they’ve just shown disrespect for the union name. They even want to remove our union logo from the cardboard cereal box.”

Kellogg’s reported a profit of $1.25bn in 2020. Cereal sales grew more than 8% in 2020 due to increased demand during the pandemic. The company approved a stock buyback program in February 2020 through December 2022 of $1.5bn. The CEO of Kellogg’s, Steven Cahillane, received around $11.6m in total compensation in 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/07/kelloggs-workers-strike-offshore-jobs

MplsGopher

Reaction score
So you’re okay with mom and dad giving their kids every possible privilege and advantage while they’re alive, but somehow it’s not fair if their wealth goes to the kids when they die?
Of course it's fair, it just needs to be taxed appropriately.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
In a fair society, there will be drastically unequal outcomes.
No one is saying that fair means every person should have exactly the same wealth.

Any other strawmen you plan on concocting?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
In the late 20th century, the Democratic Party moved to the right on economic policy. Bill Clinton and his allies in Congress cut taxes on investments, deregulated Wall Street and embraced a more corporate-friendly image.

The shift was in part a genuine attempt to be pragmatic about what worked. The United States was faring better than its economic rivals in the 1980s and 1990s, and a market-oriented approach seemed to be a reason.

But the evidence has changed in the early 21st century. Economic growth has been disappointingly slow in the U.S., as has income growth for most families. According to many measures of well-being, the U.S. is faring worse than other high-income countries. Life expectancy here has risen less since 1980 than in Canada, Japan, Australia, Britain, France, Germany and dozens of other countries.

Soaring economic inequality is a central cause of American stagnation, as the economists Anne Case and Angus Deaton have explained. With more years of evidence now available, the turn toward laissez-faire economics in the late 20th century — including sharp declines in tax rates on the rich — appears mostly to have helped the rich, not the entire country.

In response, many Democrats have tacked back to the left on economic policy, especially on tax rates for the rich. In 2020, Joe Biden campaigned on raising the income tax, the inheritance tax and investment taxes on the wealthy, as well as increasing the corporate tax (which is effectively paid by stockholders, who are disproportionately wealthy).

When Biden took office, the Democratic Party seemed united in its desire to reverse some of the sharp decline in high-end tax rates. Every Democrat in Congress — including Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia — had voted against Donald Trump’s 2017 tax cut. And polls show that most voters support higher taxes on the rich. About 80 percent of Americans say they are bothered by wealthy people and companies not paying “their fair share” of taxes, according to the Pew Research Center.

Wally

Reaction score
You think the Waltons own most of the country? They’re worth a fraction of Bezos alone.
Last year, Bloomberg estimated the Waltons' fortune at $215 billion. 7 days ago

Wally

Reaction score
Tell that to the illegals at the border and they will head back.

You envy the rich.

I don't envy the rich at all. Most of them are seeing 5 shrinks a week.

Anyone living in a building with food, a tv, a car, etc. are living better than most people on this planet. Yet all you do is envy the rich. It's never going away......rich people, that is.

No I don't envy the rich.

I want the country to be strong and I want everyone to have a more equal chance of becoming rich. Concentration of an increasing fraction of the nations wealth in a small group is not good for the nation. Explain how it is good?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
No I don't envy the rich.

I want the country to be strong and I want everyone to have a more equal chance of becoming rich. Concentration of an increasing fraction of the nations wealth in a small group is not good for the nation. Explain how it is good?
Nobody is saying it is good for a small group to control that much. Pull your head out of your ass.

The opportunity is there. Sure there are things that could improve it to an extent. But you fail to acknowledge that there is a fairly hefty portion of the population (growing by the day thanks to current Dem policies for the Welfare State) who have ZERO interest in improving their situation; they are completely content to sit back and allow others to provide for them, or better yet, they feel entitled to sit back and allow others, especially the government, to provide for them.

As long as you fail to figure out that reality, you will never understand the issues behind the problem you're laying out

Top Bottom